+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivan Toney Brentford betting charges.

Ivan Toney Brentford betting charges.

Ivan Toney apparently placed bets '232 times' - hope they throw the rule book at him.
    Wonder how much he made betting on matches against Leeds ?

Are players and staff at English clubs allowed to bet on football ?

In short the answer is NO !

The FA introduced a worldwide betting ban on football for all those involved in the sport at PL, English Football League, National League & The FA Women’s Super League & The FA Women’s Championship levels.
    It also applies to those involved at clubs in the Northern, Southern & Isthmian leagues.

The ban prohibits betting on any match taking place anywhere in the world or any other football-related matter such as transfers, managerial hiring and firing or passing information to instruct someone to place a bet on your behalf or for their own benefit.

It is also possible to be "in breach of the rules" for passing on information to someone else even if a player, for example, doesn't know they plan to use that information to place a bet.

It also covers ALL leagues around the world as any ban covers every match in every tournament around the world.

The only exemption is for participants at Step 5 or below in the National League system or for referees and match officials operating below Level 4, who are not subject to a worldwide ban.

Even so, those participants cannot bet on any match or competition that they are involved in during that season or that they can influence, or any other football-related matter like transfers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63653384

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Ivan Toney apparently placed bets '232 times' - hope they throw the rule book at him.
    Wonder how much he made betting on matches against Leeds ?

Are players and staff at English clubs allowed to bet on football ?

In short the answer is NO !

The FA introduced a worldwide betting ban on football for all those involved in the sport at PL, English Football League, National League & The FA Women’s Super League & The FA Women’s Championship levels.
    It also applies to those involved at clubs in the Northern, Southern & Isthmian leagues.

The ban prohibits betting on any match taking place anywhere in the world or any other football-related matter such as transfers, managerial hiring and firing or passing information to instruct someone to place a bet on your behalf or for their own benefit.

It is also possible to be "in breach of the rules" for passing on information to someone else even if a player, for example, doesn't know they plan to use that information to place a bet.

It also covers ALL leagues around the world as any ban covers every match in every tournament around the world.

The only exemption is for participants at Step 5 or below in the National League system or for referees and match officials operating below Level 4, who are not subject to a worldwide ban.

Even so, those participants cannot bet on any match or competition that they are involved in during that season or that they can influence, or any other football-related matter like transfers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63653384
    Has echoes of the ‘We’ve Got Jordan Stevens , he only bets on evens’ sage - should get a fairly large ban if true.

I can completely understand why it’s frowned upon, but it does seem a bit weird to get that overexcited if players are betting on games in which they either aren’t playing or cannot directly affect the outcome.

Betting is a slippery slope for many, but this seems unusually draconian to my sensibilities.

I guess them rules are them rules though.

(Suspends Malaysian PL gambling syndicate)

Also, somewhat ironic given the number of betting companies featured on football shirts…

Ivan Toney has denied that the recent betting allegations cost him a place in the England Squad and states he is gutted he will not be involved in Monday’s 2 - 2 draw with Iran

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    Ivan Toney has denied that the recent betting allegations cost him a place in the England Squad and states he is gutted he will not be involved in Monday’s 2 - 2 draw with Iran
    Isn't it BS I mean you have to be stupid to be a professional and bet on your sport. Whats stopping them from getting a family member to place the bets for them?
    We had players here get suspended over small bets and top jockeys for betting or giving tips outs.
    I'm sure there is a heap of betting going on just stupid ones that get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    Heh, heh!

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    I can completely understand why it’s frowned upon, but it does seem a bit weird to get that overexcited if players are betting on games in which they either aren’t playing or cannot directly affect the outcome.

Betting is a slippery slope for many, but this seems unusually draconian to my sensibilities.

It is across many many sports and partly a result of spot betting and players being given tip offs on sure things. It started with cricket but there were lots of spot bets and weird occurrences. The investigations into other sports including football showed there were problems there too.

Easiest way to stop suggesting of fixing and rigging was to ban players from betting. Seems fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post

The growth of online betting has made it easy today to place a range of bets on what were formerly seen as only incidental but now allows bets on everything - its just asking for temptation from footballers, so surely for the integrity of the game & sportsmanship one must draw a firm line, Org.

Kieran Trippier another one caught advising his mates to put on a wedge at the bookies for his £25 million 'forthcoming transfer' from Spurs to Athletico Madrid last year. Wonder if his Agent had a bet on via a brown envelope.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...co-madrid-move

Corruption as always is and will be everywhere. Everyone remember a Said Liverpool keeper caught on video taking money?
    Anything to do with money and power cant be stopped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)