+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mulgrew appointed player/coach

Mulgrew appointed player/coach

Think this might split opinions ...

Bit late getting this news out but I reckon it could be good for the team. Charlie is well liked by the players and if that means that he can officially act as the conduit between the playing staff and management...then I am all for it! My only concern is how can this not be a conflict with Edwards being on the pitch alongside Charlie?

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Think this might split opinions ...
    Well here gos then. Tin hat on, but to me it proves that being a slimey, back stabbing, disloyal, tosser now pays off. Give me Butcher over this prick all day long.

Don't really see this as a problem, won't change much, think this was always likely for Mulgrew

Fox is the head coach, Crawford his assistant and Mulgrew a player/coach

Quote Originally Posted by myhometeam View Post
    Well here gos then. Tin hat on, but to me it proves that being a slimey, back stabbing, disloyal, tosser now pays off. Give me Butcher over this prick all day long.
    To be fair, all that you describe seems to be the way to get places in many a line of work.

When Charlie joined, it was well known that he was here with an eye to becoming a first team coach, and i for one took it as a bit of an endorsement of our academy that a player of his standing was joining us to make the crossover to coach.

However, under TC, everything in the garden was rosy as Charlie was said to be involved in the day to day running of the team. Enter JR and things go the way of the pear with Charlie apparently sidelined, and from this i have a few concerns about the rumours and media reports that circulated.

While i have concerns about his involvement this year, at the end of the day, coaches, head coaches and managers live or die by the sword, and if he manages to make a telling improvement to the team, our position and continues that by becoming successful himself, he will get my support and thanks.

It does though seem from your comment myhometeam that there is more to this sorry saga than i am aware of!

Would have liked an experienced coach that could make the defence an efficient unit. Given who has a large say in things that was never going to materialise. Let us hope that one mans ego doesn't send us down.

Quote Originally Posted by myhometeam View Post
    Don't sit on the fence mate, say what you really think

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Don't sit on the fence mate, say what you really think
    To be fair it's what quite a few fans are saying on FB and elsewhere. But there's plenty fans happy with it as well.

What we'll never know - what some are asking is if Charlie hadn't led a player revolt against Ross would we have shipped 7 to Alkmaar, 9 to Celtic and now be bottom of the league?

As I say we'll never know. Not saying I agree with that last bit but it nags away.

The biggest mystery is why did we give Fox a 2 year contract when we should have appointed him on a temporary basis based on RESULTS until a review at the WC (toilet) break.

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    Bit late getting this news out but I reckon it could be good for the team. Charlie is well liked by the players and if that means that he can officially act as the conduit between the playing staff and management...then I am all for it! My only concern is how can this not be a conflict with Edwards being on the pitch alongside Charlie?
    You raise a good point. Since Edwards was handed the armband he hasn't looked quite the same player. That might be partly down to playing CB virtually on his own though!
    He's put in some good performances lately and never shirks a header. Would be interesting to hear from those who go to the matches whether he's a real leader on the pitch because you can't tell from TV footage.

When Mulgrew is back in the side it might take pressure off Edwards too. Just don't let him be the one slowing our play down from the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)