+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Qatar World Cup

Qatar World Cup

So, if Qatar has done a volte face regarding selling alcohol in and around stadiums, there is only one solution...
    The sponsors will (and should) demand immediate and full repayment of any monies spent on promoting their product for the competition as the contract has not been honoured.
    As the competition event can no longer meet the specification agreed when Qatar bid for/accepted the nomination, then the teams should all pull out of the competition finals stage - which should be reconvened at a time in the future in a location where the specification can be met in full for all parties concerned - importantly including sponsors, fans etc (for, like it or not, these are an essential part of the event). There have been precedents such as occurred during the pandemic for example.

Do FIFA and the participating nations have the backbone to do so? Actions will speak louder than words - but if the event proceeds under this last minute restriction imposed by the host nation, then FIFA and the national FAs will all be effectively stating that they do not respect the fans and they do not respect agreements made with sponsors and do not need their financial input at any time in the future.

(NB - I have deliberately not included any comments regarding human rights issues (although this is a very important political issue and should be, or should have been, considered separately from this particular aspect of the finals event. The political issues were not part of the specification agreed).)

If I'm not mistaken FIFA is the one that approved this.

If anything Qatar is looser on alcohol than when FIFA took the money in 2010 to grant this to them. It would be nice if someone took all of the assets and prosecuted the FIFA board that approved this but that's not likely.

However, the one thing you can do is vote with your wallet and choose not to attend the games or support them in any way. If enough people did that it would have an impact on FIFA but I don't really see that happening.

I understand that when the World Cup was awarded to Qatar (2011ish?), the agreement was that alcohol for fans attending the games would be available inside and around the stadiums. This has been changed at only two days notice by Qatar.

I can see InBev taking legal action against FIFA for the return of their money they provided for sponsorship and other rights etc. I do not know what their actual figures are, but it will be an interesting figure no doubt.
    (Sticking solely to the particular issue here)

Any country is free to make its rules within its own sovereign territory. When they declare that they will implement and tolerate a relaxation in their laws for the duration so that they can host such a prestigious event then that is a commitment that can not be broken. If they wanted to maintain their rules on no alcohol being available (apparently this does not apply if you are super rich - I have just read (whilst writing this text) that it will apparently be available in spectator VIP boxes), then there was planty of opportunity in the intervening years for them to turn round to FIFA and say that they were no longer willing to host the World Cup Finals. The tournament could then have been switched elsewhere in plenty of time to a location that could accommodate all stakeholder interests.

That is my point - that once the decision had been made, the event should take place to the full specification that was agreed at the time.
    Individual actions will not be noticed. It would take drastic action to be taken by FIFA and the national FAs - and if they wish to protect the future integrity of their competitions, it is action that they should take.

However, I doubt any of them are brave enough to initiate any such action.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek_Sec View Post
    I understand that when the World Cup was awarded to Qatar (2011ish?), the agreement was that alcohol for fans attending the games would be available inside and around the stadiums. This has been changed at only two days notice by Qatar.

I can see InBev taking legal action against FIFA for the return of their money they provided for sponsorship and other rights etc. I do not know what their actual figures are, but it will be an interesting figure no doubt.
    (Sticking solely to the particular issue here)

Any country is free to make its rules within its own sovereign territory. When they declare that they will implement and tolerate a relaxation in their laws for the duration so that they can host such a prestigious event then that is a commitment that can not be broken. If they wanted to maintain their rules on no alcohol being available (apparently this does not apply if you are super rich - I have just read (whilst writing this text) that it will apparently be available in spectator VIP boxes), then there was planty of opportunity in the intervening years for them to turn round to FIFA and say that they were no longer willing to host the World Cup Finals. The tournament could then have been switched elsewhere in plenty of time to a location that could accommodate all stakeholder interests.

That is my point - that once the decision had been made, the event should take place to the full specification that was agreed at the time.
    Individual actions will not be noticed. It would take drastic action to be taken by FIFA and the national FAs - and if they wish to protect the future integrity of their competitions, it is action that they should take.

However, I doubt any of them are brave enough to initiate any such action.
    In most other instances, where there may be involvement on the part of national government, the main role is played by the relevant FA and supported by those that the bid (and subsequent event specification) deems necessary. Qatar is very different (statement of the blindingly obvious I realise), in that the state and the ruling elite hold sway over everything that happens in the country, including if, when and how they will abide by agreements entered into of any nature. They are, literally, a law unto themselves and will do and dictate however they see fit,

As to legal sanctions, does anyone seriously think that the Qatari government and those who occupy positions of power within it give a flying **** what "the powers that be" in football or in sponsor-world do? They bought the event, even Blatter has acknowledged that (and what a mind-numbingly stupid mistake it was to take the pieces of silver), and care little for what footballing authorities anywhere in world think of how they put it on. It will be portrayed as a "new world cultural event", supported by the likes of David Beckham, turncoat and disgraced former England player, and the world will turn, ignore the thousands killed in the construction of the stadia, the appalling human rights record, the disgusting and inhumane treatment of those who don't fit the Qatari view of what it is to be a human being, and we will move on to the next venue on the world footballing roadshow.

Waste of time, effort, money, human endeavour, life, footballing expertise, it is without a single edifying feature and should be discarded as no longer fit-for-purpose (and FIFA with it)

Hear hear WTF.👌

Spot on WTF.

You reap what you sow. World Cup is in this ****hole, get on with it...

Gee boys no booze you still going?

I think the Aussie FA suggested breaking away from FIFA a few years back when the corruption issues got more publicity and some of the EU FAs were interested by It never went anywhere.

Let’s hope it gets revisited.

Not sure I have ever been less interested in a World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    Gee boys no booze you still going?

You don’t call that freezing, tasteless yella fizzy pizz booze do you?

Great post WTF.

Only thing I could wish for is that it could be a blessing in disguise, a total failure and the corruption what is FIFA exposed for what they are…

Watch what you say the fifa president is Gay and has rights under the Gay rights matter banner

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)