+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- World Cup 2022

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    On another note, I've been to two games and the atmosphere has been friendly at both with all sorts of spectators mixing freely and happily - this I expected. Also, the organisation has been absolutely great, which I didn't necessarily expect.

The girls had a great time outside the stadium watching women sing traditional arabic songs and getting henna painted on their arms etc. You feel a bit like a plastic consumer of football rather than a fan of the raw product we all grew up with at Meadow Lane but great for families and people from more conservative cultures who are turning out en masse. Turns out you don't need to get bladdered to enjoy football after all.

Would be interested to hear Anticlough's thoughts on this and his experiences!
    I'll echo all of that. It's exceeded my expectations (which weren't low) in every way. It's been a superb experience. And you're right, the organisation is perfect. I've rarely found it so easy to reach grounds, get admission and get to your seat, which always has a top view.

Yeah, that rowdy, raucous element who need a drink and a bit of aggro with the opposition didn't come. There were plenty of English and Welsh fans, but without that type. They haven't been missed IMO. Latino fans came en masse, they love football and their countries so much they probably didn't even think about what the experience would be. They were coming anyway.

The tournament has got massive support from the local Indian population (the biggest nationality here I think, about double the number of Qataris). Massive fans of the World Cup.

Blatter was wrong recently when he said it shouldn't have come here because Qatar is too small. The small size has provided the perfect opportunity for different nationalities to meet (also to get around quickly and save on travel time). It's a big international party in one city basically.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I'll echo all of that. It's exceeded my expectations (which weren't low) in every way. It's been a superb experience. And you're right, the organisation is perfect. I've rarely found it so easy to reach grounds, get admission and get to your seat, which always has a top view.

Yeah, that rowdy, raucous element who need a drink and a bit of aggro with the opposition didn't come. There were plenty of English and Welsh fans, but without that type. They haven't been missed IMO.
    Too bloody right they haven't been missed. If that's what it takes, we should host more major football competitions in 'dry' countries!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...-ban-6rd3z7cm7

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Too bloody right they haven't been missed. If that's what it takes, we should host more major football competitions in 'dry' countries!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...-ban-6rd3z7cm7
    It's not a dry country, Jackal - fans here have been drinking at the fan festival and at the bars (and I've been knocking back the Bud Zero at the grounds ). It's just that it's not been about that really, and I think the perception that it'd be difficult to go on a session and make it about that has kept the louts away.

It's not a dry country, Jackal - fans here have been drinking at the fan festival and at the bars (and I've been knocking back the Bud Zero at the grounds ). It's just that it's not been about that really, and I think the perception that it'd be difficult to go on a session and make it about that has kept the louts away.
    You're aware bud zero is non alcoholic right...

Sorry, by saying 'dry' I'm only quoting the terminology (perhaps myth) a lot of the mainstream media have been using, and I should know better than to trust them!

Like you say though, if the perception of Qatar's laws has served to keep the "pint and a fight" knuckleheads away, then that's a triumph in itself, and real fans can get on and enjoy the football and the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    You're aware bud zero is non alcoholic right...
    Really? That's what 'zero' means!?!

I'm going to ask for a refund

Yeah, that rowdy, raucous element who need a drink and a bit of aggro with the opposition didn't come. There were plenty of English and Welsh fans, but without that type. They haven't been missed IMO. Latino fans came en masse, they love football and their countries so much they probably didn't even think about what the experience would be. They were coming anyway.

The tournament has got massive support from the local Indian population (the biggest nationality here I think, about double the number of Qataris). Massive fans of the World Cup.

Blatter was wrong recently when he said it shouldn't have come here because Qatar is too small. The small size has provided the perfect opportunity for different nationalities to meet (also to get around quickly and save on travel time). It's a big international party in one city basically.
    Thanks muchly to Driller and AntiClough for interesting and informative stuff which forces me to reappraise my pre-tournament judgment that this was a terrible mistake and doomed to failure.
    Of course reservations about the building of the stadia and the Qataris poor human eights record remain and if you can put all that to the back of your mind, as a spectacle this could turn out to be the best ever with lots of learning points.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    We will progress past Senegal
    We should expect to with the players we've got, especially considering Senegal are missing their star player, Mane.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    We should expect to with the players we've got, especially considering Senegal are missing their star player, Mane.
    Exactly. No Mane, no problem for the 3 Lions.

I'd say us beating Senegal is about as likely as England losing to France.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Exactly. No Mane, no problem for the 3 Lions.

I'd say us beating Senegal is about as likely as England losing to France.
    England 1 Senegal 2 You heard it first here

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast