+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T: RIP Terry Hall

O/T: RIP Terry Hall

Apologies if I've missed this elsewhere but was shocked to hear of the death of Terry Hall after a short illness yesterday.

The Specials, Fun Boy Three and The Colourfield were all bands that played a big part in my musical education as a ****ager.

Terry Hall was such an underrated musician and songwriter yet his work touched so many around the world.

RIP Terry. Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think . . .

A huge loss. The Specials Protest Songs album last year showed he was still going strong, and there was more planned for next year. His music evolved and covered many genres. A true genius.

Very sad news, and no age at 63. Very underrated songwriter, especially with the Fun Boy 3. Huge fan of "The More I See (The Less I Believe)".

Be nice if Notts could play something like "Thinking of You" at the match tonight.

My personal Terry Hall highlight was his contribution to Tricky's track "Poems", a great video too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lQX-3ubQ80

Really sad news. A big influence on my life too in the late seventies and beyond. When they’d released Gangsters I had tickets for the Sandpiper (what a venue - to be avoided on a Sat night when the green jackets were about). The gig was cancelled so they could appear on TOTP, felt a bit let down by that. Got to see them at De Montfort on the Two Tone tour with Madness and Selector, absolutely superb gig.

The lyrics to their songs were so relevant for the time, a time of great unrest for so many, having a multi-racial band and messages on anti-racism and injustice really struck a chord with me.

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    Really sad news. A big influence on my life too in the late seventies and beyond. When they’d released Gangsters I had tickets for the Sandpiper (what a venue - to be avoided on a Sat night when the green jackets were about). The gig was cancelled so they could appear on TOTP, felt a bit let down by that. Got to see them at De Montfort on the Two Tone tour with Madness and Selector, absolutely superb gig.

The lyrics to their songs were so relevant for the time, a time of great unrest for so many, having a multi-racial band and messages on anti-racism and injustice really struck a chord with me.
    Name:  _105504083_saffiyah_specials.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  82.4 KB

So few posts on this thread. I wonder why?

Maybe he wasn't as well known as fans of his music would think, because his name was buried in the band names he was in, generally.

Anyone who doesn't know who Terry Hall is wasn't alive in the 70s and 80s. He gets a luke warm reception because of what this site is. A repository for racists and the last remnants of the Red Wall. That picture, btw, is of Saffiyah Khan, who single handedly faced off an entire EDL march in Birmingham by laughing in the leader's face. Even Tommy Robinson said he was embarrassed.

Bohinen, if you knew the answer to your question why did you ask it. Not a good time to provoke a possible political response. R.I.P. Terry Hall

Fascinating interview with Terry Hall by Pete Paphides here - about his career and the depression that haunted him for much of his life:

https://medium.com/@petepaphides/whe...d-1cff816b20c6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast