+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference

Sport is becoming more politicised (good or bad) seems the need to just forget and enjoy a couple of hours is in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Perhaps you’re right but it shouldn’t be. Just because someone is famous because they’re good at football, driving, singing, etc. doesn’t make their opinion any more relevant on political issues than your average person in the street.
    Due to their enormous wealth, their views are perhaps even less relevant.
    That’s not quite how I see it TT, but I think we both know that already 😊 Hope you’ll enjoy seeing the Brazilians battling it out against Mitrovic and co. tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    That’s not quite how I see it TT, but I think we both know that already 😊 Hope you’ll enjoy seeing the Brazilians battling it out against Mitrovic and co. tomorrow!
    Really? So you think Harry Kane’s opinion on LGBT is more relevant than yours because he’s good at football?
    I’ll be watching the game …. in London!!!

Really? So you think Harry Kane’s opinion on LGBT is more relevant than yours because he’s good at football?
    I think that the premise of your question is quite silly and far off what this debate is about, to be honest. Of course I don't think his opinion is more relevant than mine. His opinion is the same as mine, I think, and Harry Kane has got a much bigger platform than me to send out a message that is far more important than football. The Qatar state are trying to limit our freedom of expression which we use to support LGBT rights among other things and that's a disgrace.

I see what you mean. If you read my first post again and your reply, you’ll see that I’m not being so silly!!
    From your last sentence I see you don’t think that a government should be able to decide the rules in it’s own country. That opens a real can of worms.

I think everyone should free to be able to express themselves and choose their own preferences without hindrance or criticism from others. However, I don’t think these, or any other people, have the right to impose their own views on others.
    Last edited by toptoon; 24-11-2022 at 09:23 AM.

That's exactly how I see it, so called celebrities lecturing us serfs on what is right or wrong.

I see what you mean. If you read my first post again and your reply, you’ll see that I’m not being so silly!!
    Agreed, you're a smart fellow and most of the the time you're not particularly silly

From your last sentence I see you don’t think that a government should be able to decide the rules in it’s own country. That opens a real can of worms.

I think everyone should free to be able to express themselves and choose their own preferences without hindrance or criticism from others. However, I don’t think these, or any other people, have the right to impose their own views on others.
    I don't think the Western world have a divine right to moralise over other nations and states in every single aspect of how they run their country. However, the human rights have been defined for a reason, and if a country's laws and policies are breaching these, then are we not only entitled but also have a duty to make a big stink about it. I don't know what that has to do with imposing - we are not going to invade Qatar and change their laws for them. We are just making a lot of noise until they do. That's how changes are made, without going to war.

From your posts, and I might be wrong here so forgive me if that's the case, I get the idea that you seem to think that one cannot respect a country's culture, norms and rules and simultaneously protest and challenge parts of it, eg. LGBT+ rights and the working conditions of migrants (most of whom cannot defend themselves as they are dead). So what are your thoughts on how we can approach changing these stoneage views on ***ual norms etc.?

You make some good points. To answer your question at the end there - change has to come from within (as, for example, is very visibly happening in Iran) and, will also be the only way to topple the nut job ruling Russia.
    With internet, anyone can see what is happening in other countries around the world. Everyone knows what we think in the West and the people of each country will decide to follow our example, or not. (Many will not IMO).
    I maintain though that we should not go to their countries and flaunt our views openly in the knowledge that their culture is traditionally against them - it’s inflammatory and disrespectful.

You make some good points. To answer your question at the end there - change has to come from within (as, for example, is very visibly happening in Iran) and, will also be the only way to topple the nut job ruling Russia.
    With internet, anyone can see what is happening in other countries around the world. Everyone knows what we think in the West and the people of each country will decide to follow our example, or not. (Many will not IMO).
    I maintain though that we should not go to their countries and flaunt our views openly in the knowledge that their culture is traditionally against them - it’s inflammatory and disrespectful.
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. I'd add if change is to come from within then knowing that there is support and encouragement, politically too, from 'without' that is a massive motivation for change.

Congrats on Brazil yesterday - decent second goal from Richarlison. Normally can't stand him but he's turned into a brilliant player.

I don’t much like Richarlison either but I’ll be supporting Brazil after (if?) England get knocked out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)