+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the difference

What's the difference

Between us being owned by Saudi and Qatar hosting the world cup?

I'm seeing a lot of sh1t talk of the world cup in Qatar from people who defend the PIF take over os NUFC.

I've lived out in the gulf for 7 going on 8 years now and I just ask you one thing.

Please park all this anti-Qatar BS. If you haven't lived and worked in thr region and don't know the politics or culture intimately you really should reserve your opinions.

Don't believe what you read or see on TV as behind the negative press is agenda that stinks worse than rotting fish.

I agree with you in that it is hypocritical to defend one and thrash the other. Both things can and should be criticized - but in regards to PIF, Newcastle as a city and club shouldn't be criticized, it's the FA and the government that allowed it to happen that should be. And of course for allowing similar types of ownerships in the past at other clubs.

Similarly, the fact that Qatar is hosting the World Cup should be blamed on the corruption of FIFA - not the people living in Qatar. Qatar should simply never have had the chance to host the World Cup until the human rights conditions are improved and up to the standards that are fair to demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post

I'm seeing a lot of sh1t talk of the world cup in Qatar from people who defend the PIF take over os NUFC.

I've lived out in the gulf for 7 going on 8 years now and I just ask you one thing.

Please park all this anti-Qatar BS. If you haven't lived and worked in thr region and don't know the politics or culture intimately you really should reserve your opinions.

Don't believe what you read or see on TV as behind the negative press is agenda that stinks worse than rotting fish.
    If you dig deep down through all the sh*t, it eventually comes down to a question of nationalism. The UK has, relative to most other countries these days, little nationalism and Qatar (like most other countries in the world) has a lot.
    This results in people in Qatar thinking ‘it’s our country, so it’s our rules’ and Western European countries expecting to impose what they think is right on others who don’t agree.

When I am a visitor to a place I respect the ways whether I agree or not....same as I expect from people visiting my country, however a good host should have some concessions for difference. Countries have different values but the spirit of the WC is about coming together under the banner of football.

Leave politics to politicians and FIFA who should be the oned to have the finger pointed towards . Let god be the judge, no country is perfect certainly not the UK.

I am gonna just enjoy the games and look forward the the last WC with Southgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post

I worked out in the UAE from 1981 to 2004 and could tell you all some horror stories over these seemingly Westernised Emirate States.

All of the Arab Countries are basically the same with two main different Muslim Groups. Kuwaiti’s are known as the Jews of the Arab world. The archaic laws and rules that these Countries follow have been like that for thousands of years. Footballers taking the knee or wearing a rainbow captains band will not make any difference whatsoever.

It would be interesting to see the reaction here if the WC was in England and the Qatari team (and others) came here and demanded to wear armbands saying that LGBT should be banned and expecting us to accept their opinion.

The next WC in Europe, every team should be told to wear LGBT armbands - or get a yellow card.

The 7 teams should have said, if we cant wear it we will pack our bags and go home.

Then the WC would litteraly over, and tbh. nobody would really care.

Quote Originally Posted by toonviking View Post
    The next WC in Europe, every team should be told to wear LGBT armbands - or get a yellow card.

The 7 teams should have said, if we cant wear it we will pack our bags and go home.

Then the WC would litteraly over, and tbh. nobody would really care.
    😆 You’re right there. The football is certainly secondary up to now.

I absolutely take the points, lads, that it's another country-and culture's-beliefs and who are we to put our values above theirs.

However, I'm just about to do that.

The Qatari stance on LGBT rights is discriminatory and bigoted. Whether it stems from a religious belief or a macho, patriarchal system or whatever the fuck they use to justify it doesn't matter-it discriminates against and punishes people for loving people of the same ***. Like it's anyone else's business?? Just because it's enshrined in their law doesn't make it ok.

All just imo.

You know what would really have made a difference? If any supporter, player and journalist who is opposed, just to have refused to go there.
    The competition would’ve been completely degraded and FIFA would’ve been shown up even more for making the ludicrous decision of holding it there.
    However, it seems that money holds the high ground for more people than just FIFA.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)