+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T:- Nottingham Castle Closes / Liquidators Appointed

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Went last year and the biggest attraction was three large rooms dedicated to Paul Smith. Some of that was interesting but have to say that on the whole it didn't really impress that much. There were more people in the café and gift shop than actually having a proper look around the castle itself.
    Went with our grand daughter aged 7 a couple of months ago, very disappointing and she was bored.
    Buildings impressive from the outside but nothing much inside. One room full of paintings and one of lace waste of time and money. Not surprised it’s failed.
    And calling it a castle is a stretch of the imagination more like a country house, now Belvoir is a proper castle.

Same experience as everyone else really.
    It was ok, the kids were entertained for about an hour then we went.
    For what we paid I’d expect it to be at least a half day experience.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Went with our grand daughter aged 7 a couple of months ago, very disappointing and she was bored.
    Buildings impressive from the outside but nothing much inside. One room full of paintings and one of lace waste of time and money. Not surprised it’s failed.
    And calling it a castle is a stretch of the imagination more like a country house, now Belvoir is a proper castle.
    Well I don't want to bore you all, but here goes anyway...

The "castle" is not a castle. It's a mansion built for the Duke of Newcastle (don't ask!) in the 18th century. Nottingham castle was actually one of the finest & largest medieval castles in Britain. Alas, it was almost totally destroyed in the civil war - just one or two bits survived - so what you see now is essentially reconstructions. Wollaton Hall (1588) is much more impressive. Shame it's not on the castle site.

As any local historians will tell you, the historic heart of Nottingham (my mum was born there) was the very old rows of streets between the castle and Old Market Square. They were demolished (I think in the 1950s?) to enable the concrete & tarmac abomination ironically called Maid Marian Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Another one View Post
    NZ$25K for four of us at Christmas, $12K at Easter. Don't think I will ever stumble out of the Bell after Christmas shopping to see all the lights twinkling in the square again.

Got a stiff whisky in front of me. It helps watching England bat.
    Where do you live 'Another one'?

You'll find me working around Otago and Southland or chilling out on Stewart Island. Plan is to relocate there next week until mid January and teach my liver a lesson.

Wife is scared of flying and had a bad dream the other day so I have reduced the cost of flights back home as she wont be going.

Get in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123