+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Nottingham Castle Closes / Liquidators Appointed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T:- Nottingham Castle Closes / Liquidators Appointed

Nottingham Castle closes to public as Trust appoints liquidators

“We are saddened and hugely disappointed to announce that today, Nottingham Castle Trust (‘the Trust’) has begun the process of appointing liquidators.

“This is a heartbreaking day for trustees, our staff, visitors, and the city. Despite the immense dedication of staff and volunteers, the Castle is now closed to visitors.

“Tim Bateson and Chris Pole of Interpath Advisory have been nominated by the board to be appointed as liquidators to formally wind up the affairs of the Trust. Their appointment will take place during the course of the next ten days.

“While visitor numbers have been improving, they have unfortunately remained highly unpredictable and significantly below forecasts, mirroring the difficulties seen across the whole cultural sector.

- Advertisement -

“In line with heritage organisations and attractions across the UK, Nottingham Castle experienced a particularly tough summer that has negatively impacted expected funding streams.

“As the charity that operated Nottingham Castle on behalf of Nottingham City Council, the Trust’s business model and financing was agreed in 2017 and we are now in a fundamentally different social and economic environment.

“The immense challenges posed by the pandemic, the financial crisis and the three-fold rise in energy costs meant that this charitable trust model was no longer workable, and the Trust was simply not able to evolve quickly enough to survive the ongoing economic crisis as it enters its quietest trading period of the year.

“We stand by the vibrant vision that was set for Nottingham Castle in 2017 and are hopeful that a new operator will realise and take this forward in the near future for the benefit of our fantastic city.

“We would like to thank all of Nottingham Castle Trust’s supporters, including the thousands of visitors that have been through our gates. Finally, a huge thank you to staff and volunteers who made Nottingham Castle such an amazing place to visit.”

Lilian Greenwood MP MP for Nottingham South and Opposition Deputy Chief Whip said there is a “commitment by Nottingham City Council to work with the funders and others to re-open the Castle site as soon as possible.”

‘”I urge the Trust, the City Council and partners in the city to do everything possible to support those facing redundancy following this announcement.

“I stand ready to do all I can to ensure the Castle is an attraction we can all be proud of.”
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-11-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

Wonder how much of the 30mill found its way into the trust leaders pockets

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Wonder how much of the 30mill found its way into the trust leaders pockets
    What did the £30+ million go on? Haven’t been to the castle in many a year, but other than a lovely view I don’t remember much of note there.

Absolute idiots. I took some friends who had come over from Australia to it in January. We arrived with plenty of time to go around and found they were closing early that day (not anywhere on their website) so we were to pay full price (£30) for 30 minutes in there.

I said can we not just go in and look at the grounds as we would not have time for anything else, and they still wanted to charge the full price for the crappy museum and everything.

It used to be a free to Nottingham residents, and there were charges for the grounds, and extra for the museum. Now it’s one expensive price for all, and guess what, no one wants to pay it. What a surprise.

Another fiasco for our inept council.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Absolute idiots. I took some friends who had come over from Australia to it in January. We arrived with plenty of time to go around and found they were closing early that day (not anywhere on their website) so we were to pay full price (£30) for 30 minutes in there.

I said can we not just go in and look at the grounds as we would not have time for anything else, and they still wanted to charge the full price for the crappy museum and everything.

It used to be a free to Nottingham residents, and there were charges for the grounds, and extra for the museum. Now it’s one expensive price for all, and guess what, no one wants to pay it. What a surprise.

Another fiasco for our inept council.
    £30??? For that price I'd have thought I was buying the castle. That's outrageous!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    £30??? For that price I'd have thought I was buying the castle. That's outrageous!
    You can always make an offer to the administrators.

I wonder how the Broad Marsh development will fare financially? Same as Robin Hood energy?

Or how about:

https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/hi...-intervention/

Meanwhile anyone tried the toilets in Greyhound Street whilst the market/fair is on? Passed by on Sunday afternoon and they were "emergency closed". (Fancy) Wash basins hadn't worked for at least a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 22-11-2022 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

Our local government is very bad right now.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    What did the £30+ million go on? Haven’t been to the castle in many a year, but other than a lovely view I don’t remember much of note there.
    The crappy museum is where the money went. Trust me, Wollaton hall is better.

I visited recently. Thought it was okay (not great, but okay) apart from all the F*****t propaganda.

Tourism generally in Notts is hopeless.

It's an incredible shame that we've never really exploited the tourism potential of Robin Hood and the history of Nottingham. I know we don't have all the medieval buildings left, like in York, but with a bit of investment and marketing, Nottingham has enough to attract plenty of tourists, which of course has a big boost to the city. It's disappointing nobody in a position to harness the potential does anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast