+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Who Was Better?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Was Better??????#2

If we're judging on 'better' it has to be Phil Robinson, although Ian Baraclough might shade it on 'better club servant'. Robinson is mostly associated with good times, while Baraclough's second spell was at the start of our decline. He never let us down, and played left back, midfield, and a fair few games as a centre back.

Just a pity about the last six letters of his surname!

Robbo's replacement was Gary Owers who - I was shocked to discover - was almost two years younger than Robbo.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Robbo's replacement was Gary Owers who - I was shocked to discover - was almost two years younger than Robbo.
    I remember Gary Owers getting a lot of stick but I quite liked him! Was never going to be a superstar but a lot of his work went unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I remember Gary Owers getting a lot of stick but I quite liked him! Was never going to be a superstar but a lot of his work went unnoticed.
    Lots of effort guaranteed but all whilst running through treacle. He looked slow, but was actually slower than he looked.

I wil never forget a footrace between Gary Slowers and Darren Huckerby at Meadow Lane. Painful and funny all at the same time.

Patently obvious Robinson was better. Here's a good suggestion Laddo, how about who was better, Warnock or Burchnall? Real deal or bandwagon?!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Patently obvious Robinson was better. Here's a good suggestion Laddo, how about who was better, Warnock or Burchnall? Real deal or bandwagon?!
    Terrific suggestion Woody.

My answer is Warnock for a multitude of reasons.

Real deal or bandwagon???? Sorry chap but I don't understand the question. To me that's the same as asking 'did win the game' Vs 'will win the game'.

I'm going to stick the series to ex-players. As you might have seen the former managers get more than enough coverage on NCM

Even though Ian Baraclough became strongly associated with Notts, I can't say I ever really rated him as a player. I thought he was a very ordinary left-back and nothing more than functional at centre-half or in midfield either. He played over 600 league games, so clearly he was seen as an important player by a good number of managers whose opinions are far more qualified and worthy than mine, but for me he was 'meh'.

Phil Robinson I liked. He got a bit out of his depth when we moved to the upper leagues, but in Leagues One and Two (as they're now known) he was a very competitive midfielder and a great team player.
    Last edited by jackal2; 27-11-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Phil Robinson for me. However, Baraclough, although not the most talented, always gave 100% and didn’t miss many games through injury.
    Not a fans favourite but we’ve had far worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12