+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Break

World Cup Break

I think this break comes at a good time for us. A tough decision for the manager and the players...to ensure that they are given a bit of a break but to also put in the work that is needed to lift us out of this mess! The next 2 games against Hearts and Livi will be tough but we need points on the board and no hard luck stories. We somehow need to put together a wee run of result which we haven't been able to do all season. Our first game back will be a significant tell on how we are going to finish the season. This break needs to be used to focus the players, build a winning mentality and first and foremost......a team that is willing to fight for each other. Far too many of our players seem to be going through the motions and that is unacceptable, lots of finger pointing and blame does not build a team spirit and winning mentality! I pray to god that this break is used in the best way possible!

I know this will sound pessimistic and negative, but...

I agree, this window is *****. However, I just don't think this squad has the mindset for the fight.

If I were in charge, I'd do as you suggest, but I would also be prepping now for January as a final fling to stay up, looking for players who can not only possibly do the hard graft but also be prepared to form the core next season if the team goes down.

Planning for next season needs to start now. We are not too good to go down, but we are too big a target if we do for those down there and that makes the fight back 10x harder.

Agree with all of that.
    This break should also be used to put the players through an intensive super fitness regime so that we come back the fittest strongest team we can possibly be.
    Plus stating the obvious we need to find a goalkeeper who's ready to join us as soon as the window opens. And negotiate the contract cancellation of Birighitti and Eriksson.
    And.... search for a hard b astard defensive mid to play behind Levitt and McGrath. Ideally one that can pass the ball better than Butcher did. Won't be easy to find these players in a Jan window but it's a must or we are likely going down.

I think folk are over estimating how good our squad is to be honest. We are really missing Mulgrew, he's a good, experienced player and great with the ball. And, need I even say it, we still haven't got a good holding midfielder.

Apparently the first part of the break training/preparation is that the players have been sent away on a 10 day holiday.

No issues with the players getting a break...but they must be disciplined enough to push on with their fitness. A break might benefit the players but they need to be back both physically and mentally fit enough for a relegation battle.
    I also agree that we have a couple of gaps in the team that we need fixed as soon as the window opens...and they need to be ready to go and experienced cool heads that will be up for the fight also.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Apparently the first part of the break training/preparation is that the players have been sent away on a 10 day holiday.
    I've no problem with this. I'd imagine the players will be away with fitness regime to do while off (as they would in the summer) and they be tested before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I don't think Jim McLean Jock Wallace Alex Ferguson or Jock Stein would be giving the players 10 days off. Not a chance. Players rarely come back with the same personal fitness levels. I get that these are different times. But yes there's still time when they return.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I think folk are over estimating how good our squad is to be honest. We are really missing Mulgrew, he's a good, experienced player and great with the ball. And, need I even say it, we still haven't got a good holding midfielder.
    Our outfield squad isn't that bad imo but the goalies give me the fear and I have no doubt we will go down if we don't address this situation and bring in a safe pair of hands.

What is the situation at Celtic with ex FUNSTER Bain? 3rd choice but still better than what we have......Worth a chance maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Our outfield squad isn't that bad imo but the goalies give me the fear and I have no doubt we will go down if we don't address this situation and bring in a safe pair of hands.

What is the situation at Celtic with ex FUNSTER Bain? 3rd choice but still better than what we have......Worth a chance maybe?
    Worth a chance, but would he really come to us after all the sh*t we've given him (and him to us) over the years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)