+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If not Bell, who (or what?)

If not Bell, who (or what?)

Okay, so I started another thread with a simple question Bell: yes or no? Unfortunately, I couldn't stick to such parameters myself so I've gone for a supplementary thread.
    What intrigues me is that if we were to recruit from outside, what would we do with with existing structure. We already have a first team management group of 4 (including gk coach Barber) plus still paying off Artell, so something would have to give. So assuming the Alex are not going to add even more to the payroll when they can't expand the player recruitment, then someone will have to go. Surely, they can't release Bell at this point. Grant has already publicly stated that the club doesn't want to lose Morris. Would Arsenal be happy if their promising young goalkeeper was left coachless. Kenny?
    Even if they cull one person, will a new manager be happy to be told he has to work with the existing set-up?
    Whoever he is, he will have to be cheap, have experience of developing young players revive fortunes of older, experienced oness and, to justify not choosing Bell, be able to make the existing group of players play attractive attacking football. So, why wouldn't that kind of person be well ensconced in a job, already?
    On the other thread, John Askey has been mentioned. Well, the former Port Vale and Macclesfield man, a real local, wouldn't cost a lot and, according to Wikipedia, is said to tick the above boxes. He was recently sacked by York City after having got them promoted to the National League and, at the time doing fairly well. There are suggestions there was a clash of personalities with the board/chairman. He is 58 and, to my mind has never proved himself long term. However, he has never worked with huge resources (which may be key).
    To me there are positives, including his local knowledge and a certain loyalty, but not enough. I would prefer someone younger.

As mentioned on another thread I have been told something, but who knows. Like you, for an outsider/outsiders to come in something will have to give.
    I read Askeys Wiki profile like you and I must say that I found it slightly intriguing, he must have something about him and it ticked a lot of our boxes.
    I guess that we will just have to let it all pan out now that the closing date for applications has now passed.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Okay, so I started another thread with a simple question Bell: yes or no? Unfortunately, I couldn't stick to such parameters myself so I've gone for a supplementary thread.
    What intrigues me is that if we were to recruit from outside, what would we do with with existing structure. We already have a first team management group of 4 (including gk coach Barber) plus still paying off Artell, so something would have to give. So assuming the Alex are not going to add even more to the payroll when they can't expand the player recruitment, then someone will have to go. Surely, they can't release Bell at this point. Grant has already publicly stated that the club doesn't want to lose Morris. Would Arsenal be happy if their promising young goalkeeper was left coachless. Kenny?
    Even if they cull one person, will a new manager be happy to be told he has to work with the existing set-up?
    Whoever he is, he will have to be cheap, have experience of developing young players revive fortunes of older, experienced oness and, to justify not choosing Bell, be able to make the existing group of players play attractive attacking football. So, why wouldn't that kind of person be well ensconced in a job, already?
    On the other thread, John Askey has been mentioned. Well, the former Port Vale and Macclesfield man, a real local, wouldn't cost a lot and, according to Wikipedia, is said to tick the above boxes. He was recently sacked by York City after having got them promoted to the National League and, at the time doing fairly well. There are suggestions there was a clash of personalities with the board/chairman. He is 58 and, to my mind has never proved himself long term. However, he has never worked with huge resources (which may be key).
    To me there are positives, including his local knowledge and a certain loyalty, but not enough. I would prefer someone younger.

Lunt has been a passenger for quite a while now in my humble opinion (player development manager ) always sounded like a made up role. Alex Morris personal problems might mean he has to step away from football and the club might insist the Bell remains assistant manager. But I agree on the face of it we don’t have room for somebody else time will tell.

Askey would be an interesting appointment, having seen lots of his games my only criticism would be he is very one dimensional and struggles to change games tactically, you would know what team would be playing on Thursday because he hardly made any changes except for injuries,he would understand the youth system and how it works,I think he would suit a smaller club with little or no budget which brings me onto McGarry saying before the game that the Alex are losing money in Div.2 and he thought that the directors were putting money into the club to keep it going, if thats the case that will strengthen the case for Bell.

Of course they are losing money!! Where on earth do you think the profits come from? Selling players is the only way we keep our head above water.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Of course they are losing money!! Where on earth do you think the profits come from? Selling players is the only way we keep our head above water.
    Calm down calm down........

Where on earth do "I" think the profits come from? McGarry was saying that Crewe are losing money not me.

I think the worrying thing about the finances is that they maintained the League one expenditure for this season to ensure stability. Being out of all cups and unless we sell well this season, next season will probably see a dip in investment. This means, of course, that our current crop of academy graduates need to be well embedded into the team by then.

What I should have also mentioned is that Uwakwe, Agyei and Long will be at the end of their contracts.

I think the worrying thing about the finances is that they maintained the League one expenditure for this season to ensure stability. Being out of all cups and unless we sell well this season, next season will probably see a dip in investment. This means, of course, that our current crop of academy graduates need to be well embedded into the team by then.

Even more worrying is that the budget was akin to the National League. Unless a serious amount of money can be found for next season I fear our football league status will be in serious jeopardy the players whose contracts are coming to an end will be gone for more money somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Even more worrying is that the budget was akin to the National League. Unless a serious amount of money can be found for next season I fear our football league status will be in serious jeopardy the players whose contracts are coming to an end will be gone for more money somewhere else.
    Just my opinion, the club needs to get rid of the academy and 3 managers and spend the money on a football team that can play this game. Its laughable that we were beaten by a club just one league above when we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge who were 4 leagues above. Something we have never done since we had million pound academies. How can this club afford all these coaches and managers and the Directors having to put money in.

Most clubs indeed even the better ones than us in the lower leagues would not dream of spending hard earned money on a training 6 year olds....Look at how many PL Cat 1 academy players get into the first team? 1% the last time I looked. When will the BoD realise the truth and act? I suspect we will need to go into the Conference in order for them to do what they should have done many years ago.

We are being outplayed in every game and yet we are a league lower than last time. Hasn't the penny dropped? It really seems pointless to have managers who's only management experience is youth football.

The perfomance of any team is the quality of players and the quality of the manager. It has nothing to do with coaching or academies. Academies are counter productive and how many times does this need to be realised?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 27-11-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast