+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footballers are pathetic thread #3,659

Footballers are pathetic thread #3,659

I turned over from watching the England rugby team getting absolutely hammered by South Africa to watch the Argentina v Mexico game and one of the Argentinian players was on the ground for ages as if he'd been trampled by an elephant after a slight knock to his face.

Meanwhile, the rugby players must have actually felt like they'd been trampled by an elephant with the sorts of things going on in their game.

So what is it about footballers that makes them react like that? Are they just cheats? Are they just pretending in order to get their opponent into trouble. Or is it that they're not physically conditioned the way rugby players are so, naturally, physical contact takes on more significance? (that doesn't work for face/head things, though, as you can't condition your face or head unless you're one of those mental Shaolin monks).

Talking of which, we get smacked in the face way harder in Tae Kwon Do than that lad's just been hit and I've never once seen someone fall to the floor and roll around crying. Apart from children.

Thoughts?

yep completely agree, it seems to be the bigger the team, the more minge like their players.

You are right about Taekwondo too, i have seen some awful injuries over the years, my worst one was having the bones in my hand snap when

punching to the chest, 2 of the ones from the knuckles to the wrist. My hand looked like a club foot, was only 15 when that happened.

Sidelined from spanking the old monkey for a few months lol

I think it’s simply because injuries in football influence the game and in rugby, they don’t. In football players play act to influence the referee with regard to cards and to break the opposition’s momentum in the game.
    Rugby refs are not influenced in any way by injuries and the game rarely stops for an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I think it’s simply because injuries in football influence the game and in rugby, they don’t. In football players play act to influence the referee with regard to cards and to break the opposition’s momentum in the game.
    Rugby refs are not influenced in any way by injuries and the game rarely stops for an injury.
    That's a cracking point, TT

Kind of fits in with my thread the other week about letting the physios on the pitch during play. They wouldn't go down nearly as much if they didn't think they'd get an advantage from it.

So it fits with the theory that, basically, they're just cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post

Sidelined from spanking the old monkey for a few months lol
    way too much info, man.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Basically this.

If the prem goes down the route of WC in adding on 10 plus minutes due to time wasting then I think we'll see it stop fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Basically this.

If the prem goes down the route of WC in adding on 10 plus minutes due to time wasting then I think we'll see it stop fairly quickly.
    Not sure it would make a great deal of difference tbh, as most of the play acting is designed to try and win free kicks and to try and get the ref to dole out yellows and red cards. That and to break up play, regroup and grab a bit of rest if you are under the cosh

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    That's a cracking point, TT

Kind of fits in with my thread the other week about letting the physios on the pitch during play. They wouldn't go down nearly as much if they didn't think they'd get an advantage from it.

So it fits with the theory that, basically, they're just cheats.
    It would help.

Rugby owes a lot to football (including its existence!!) but football could lean a lot from rugby - this and VAR being two examples.

Chris Suttons new book "How to fix football" is very good on this front - he basically rants about everything he thinks is wrong, I'm only 100 pages in but would reccomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I turned over from watching the England rugby team getting absolutely hammered by South Africa to watch the Argentina v Mexico game and one of the Argentinian players was on the ground for ages as if he'd been trampled by an elephant after a slight knock to his face.

Meanwhile, the rugby players must have actually felt like they'd been trampled by an elephant with the sorts of things going on in their game.

So what is it about footballers that makes them react like that? Are they just cheats? Are they just pretending in order to get their opponent into trouble. Or is it that they're not physically conditioned the way rugby players are so, naturally, physical contact takes on more significance? (that doesn't work for face/head things, though, as you can't condition your face or head unless you're one of those mental Shaolin monks).

Talking of which, we get smacked in the face way harder in Tae Kwon Do than that lad's just been hit and I've never once seen someone fall to the floor and roll around crying. Apart from children.

Thoughts?
    Footballers spend 70% of the game trying to convince people they’re injured. Rugby players spend 70% of the game pretending they aren’t, that’s the difference and it’s true believe me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)