+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The true greats of football

The true greats of football

For me in no particular order, Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Best.
    These are on a different level to the next set of greats like Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton etc.
    Portugal without Ronaldo look very ordinary than the Portugal with him. He has carried the national side on his back for two decades.
    Messi is breathtaking but hasn't the same impact on the National team as Maradona had, a bit like Cantona, better for club than country, though he is still one of the best players of all time.
    Maradona, like Ronaldo, a cheat and a cry baby, but what a player.
    Pele, what can you say that already hasn't been said?
    George Best. One of the tragedies of the game is that Best never got to parade his outrageous skills on the world stage.
    These five for me are the true titans of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    For me in no particular order, Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Best.
    These are on a different level to the next set of greats like Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton etc.
    Portugal without Ronaldo look very ordinary than the Portugal with him. He has carried the national side on his back for two decades.
    Messi is breathtaking but hasn't the same impact on the National team as Maradona had, a bit like Cantona, better for club than country, though he is still one of the best players of all time.
    Maradona, like Ronaldo, a cheat and a cry baby, but what a player.
    Pele, what can you say that already hasn't been said?
    George Best. One of the tragedies of the game is that Best never got to parade his outrageous skills on the world stage.
    These five for me are the true titans of the game.
    Pretty much agree with you on this, although I always thought that the Brazilian Ronaldo was also pretty useful. He probably never got to fulfil his true potential due to knee injuries though.

The forwards are always the ones who get mentioned in this conversation though.

For me Maradonna and Pele stand together on the very pinnacle, I think you need to have not only won at least one Workd Cup but also dominated at least one tournament which both did, Pele on two occasions.

Best is the one I have the big issue with.

It’s like us saying Sneekes or Bob Taylor are amongst our greats whereas they were excellent at their level, we didn’t get chance to judge them at the top level.

There are very few clips of Best doing anything of note at international level apart from nicking the ball out of Gordon Banks’s hands.

Best was also at his peak for a very small amount of time a little bit either side of 68.

One great European Cup season doesn’t constitute “greatness” in my opinion.

All mentioned are outstanding footballers,for me George best was the top ..dissagree with mick I don’t think he ever peaked to his best,maradonna comes 2nd througe gritted teeth.I know pele played in world cups and won. World cups the reason I put him 3rd in my list he never played in a tough leagues like English German or Italian.

No mention of Zidane?

Best is right up there for me too, superb on the ball in the days of clogger defenders and awful pitches. Maradona too for his impact on club and country, I also think Rooney is too often excluded from these debates, his performances over many years were immense.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    No mention of Zidane?

Best is right up there for me too, superb on the ball in the days of clogger defenders and awful pitches. Maradona too for his impact on club and country, I also think Rooney is too often excluded from these debates, his performances over many years were immense.
    Rooney was w a n k at tournaments.

Not enough at absolute elite level just like Best.

I think C. Ronaldo has to be included in stats, the fact he did it everywhere and dragging less than average teams above their place (especially Portugal) even if he ain’t the most naturally gifted
    Messi is an unreal talent and just born to play like Pele, Maradona and Best

These 5 have gotta be right up there for best players ever

But if we split into departments

Best Keeper
    Best Defenders
    Best Midfielders
    Best forwards

We would get different entrants

For example how can any best of team not include Cafu or Roberto Carlos

I used to love the discussions around best players wasted so much time in pubs in my youth on this

Maradona was a cheat; cheats aren’t great.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Maradona was a cheat; cheats aren’t great.
    So is/was Ronaldo.

Maradona was a pretty horrible human being and he cheated and used the dark arts but I don’t think this precludes him from greatness in pure playing ability.

Those who cheat at sport are not worthy of respect, no matter who they are or what skill they possess. With so much skill, why the need to cheat at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)