+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friendly against Swansea and Ayr

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I do sometimes think I watch a different game. Thought it was a useful exercise. We were clearly working on shape and structure. They had lots of possession first half but we were comfortable. Didn't quite get our press right in that first half, Meekison out of position playing wider. Niskanen was very good, disciplined and effective as a wingback. Terrible mistake by Smith for their goal, but a friendly factor in that. Don't think he tries that pass in a league game. We offered little attacking threat in first half, went too direct off of Fletcher and that was disappointing. The few attacks we had were when we did get the ball down and pass it.

Second half better. Our press was more coordinated, we set traps and won the ball back high countless times. Had more of the ball and mmoved it well at times. The switch to a 4-3-3 shape when Smith went off fir Cudjoe was interesting and seemed to work. They had spells when they had lots of ball again without us looking troubled. We actually looked more dynamic than they did when attacking, although didn't really create many chances. Disappointing yes, but good to see McLeod and Cudjoe. Meekison better in the midfield 3, although not his finest game.
    Was a worrying goal to lose, another simple ball over the top. Haven't seen the keeper's positioning back, but didn't automatically think he was at fault. In general he seemed solid, although shaky with the ball at his feet.
    Graham was good throughout. Sibbald and Watt did well. Cudjoe and Mcleod were bright. Freeman good too (although possibly could do better for second goal)

More positives than negatives for me from today. Good exercise against a good team. Their fluidity and positional rotation was excellent yet didn't really cut us apart.
    First half embarrassing useless long punts to Fletcher giving up possession every single time
    Couldn't create fluid passing movement in any phase of the game
    Barely put 4 or 5 passes together without losing the ball
    Couldn't retain the ball in their final third
    Misplaced or overhit passes throughout
    Created nothing, threatened nothing
    Could have played til midnight and not scored

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    First half embarrassing useless long punts to Fletcher giving up possession every single time
    Couldn't create fluid passing movement in any phase of the game
    Barely put 4 or 5 passes together without losing the ball
    Couldn't retain the ball in their final third
    Misplaced or overhit passes throughout
    Created nothing, threatened nothing
    Could have played til midnight and not scored
    This ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    This ^^^^
    Cheers, was beginning to think it was just me. To be fair they are a very tidy side but we didn't offer anything exciting. Even if the game had ended 0-0 I just don't see a fluid style emerging for us.

It's also fair to say they played together very recently and beat Hearts and today we were missing two of our best players.

I get mystified though when I can't see what we're trying to do to open a team up. Are we trying to get in behind them, or maybe over them, or play in front of them and thread a striker in? I have no idea what our plan is and I'm not entirely sure the players know what the plan is.

But there's definitely hope. We beat Aberdeen and Hibs at home, we've had good spells in other games. Hopefully a rested Levitt comes back inspired and Aziz can help create some goals.

That attempt to play it out from the back in the first half was frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    That attempt to play it out from the back in the first half was frightening.
    🙈

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I do sometimes think I watch a different game. Thought it was a useful exercise. We were clearly working on shape and structure. They had lots of possession first half but we were comfortable. Didn't quite get our press right in that first half, Meekison out of position playing wider. Niskanen was very good, disciplined and effective as a wingback. Terrible mistake by Smith for their goal, but a friendly factor in that. Don't think he tries that pass in a league game. We offered little attacking threat in first half, went too direct off of Fletcher and that was disappointing. The few attacks we had were when we did get the ball down and pass it.

Second half better. Our press was more coordinated, we set traps and won the ball back high countless times. Had more of the ball and mmoved it well at times. The switch to a 4-3-3 shape when Smith went off fir Cudjoe was interesting and seemed to work. They had spells when they had lots of ball again without us looking troubled. We actually looked more dynamic than they did when attacking, although didn't really create many chances. Disappointing yes, but good to see McLeod and Cudjoe. Meekison better in the midfield 3, although not his finest game.
    Was a worrying goal to lose, another simple ball over the top. Haven't seen the keeper's positioning back, but didn't automatically think he was at fault. In general he seemed solid, although shaky with the ball at his feet.
    Graham was good throughout. Sibbald and Watt did well. Cudjoe and Mcleod were bright. Freeman good too (although possibly could do better for second goal)

More positives than negatives for me from today. Good exercise against a good team. Their fluidity and positional rotation was excellent yet didn't really cut us apart.
    Nice to hear some positive reports.

Glad that playing Newman

Shows that Fox knows the other keepers are not the answer

Please god we are not playing Birighitti when the matches restart

100% Newman's positioning was terrible for the second goal. I was in the GF at that end of the pitch, got a great view of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    100% Newman's positioning was terrible for the second goal. I was in the GF at that end of the pitch, got a great view of it.
    Definitely! Caught in no man's land when Swansea broke from back to front with a ball over the top. A mistake he'll learn from hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Seems to a theme running here as every keeper has been criticised for their positioning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)