+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friendly against Swansea and Ayr

Friendly against Swansea and Ayr

Think I’ll head along. 12 noon kick off on Saturday. Decent price too.

Vs Swansea this Saturday - 12pm kick off.

Vs Ayr Utd next Saturday - 1pm kick off.

Adults £10
    Concessions £5.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/new...LE-HEADER.html

Good to see we've got matches arranged. Need to work on a few things lads!

0-2 we look so poor.
    Terrible mistake by Smith for the first
    And a really bad mistake from Newman for the second.
    Hopeless in possession, no idea.
    OK Swansea are decent but when we did eventually get a chance with ball we couldn't create anything.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    0-2 we look so poor.
    OK Swansea are decent but when we did eventually get a chance with ball we couldn't create anything.
    Sounds like nothing much has changed then. Thank feck I'm away for a few days and unable to go.

I wouldn't read too much into these matches, all they are able is getting the players playing matches.

That said, now I know Newman isn't ready for our first team. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into these matches, all they are able is getting the players playing matches.

That said, now I know Newman isn't ready for our first team. 🤔
    That was very poor today. Get what you’re saying TTT but this isn’t pre season (where I don’t think we won any friendlies either). We are a 3rd of the way through the season. Today just emphasised how poor we are, and why we are propping up the league.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    0-2 we look so poor.
    Now wouldn't it be a good idea to have the reserve games played at Tannadice so that we as fans can go along and see what is in reserve? We might get to see an Aussie brought through our own ranks in the reserves. I've seen two, one is at the WC who was the other one?

When was the last time United fielded a starting eleven without Smith and Harkes? It needs to happen the first game back but when was it before?

Surely our holding midfielder was sitting and dictating play? Signed because he knew him from Hearts. Birighitti was signed on the say-so of some friend who he knew at Hearts. Our other keeper was signed on the back that he was an internationalist and won the keeper of the year award. Seeing how he positions himself at crosses would have been a far better indicator than having an international cap and an award.

I do sometimes think I watch a different game. Thought it was a useful exercise. We were clearly working on shape and structure. They had lots of possession first half but we were comfortable. Didn't quite get our press right in that first half, Meekison out of position playing wider. Niskanen was very good, disciplined and effective as a wingback. Terrible mistake by Smith for their goal, but a friendly factor in that. Don't think he tries that pass in a league game. We offered little attacking threat in first half, went too direct off of Fletcher and that was disappointing. The few attacks we had were when we did get the ball down and pass it.

Second half better. Our press was more coordinated, we set traps and won the ball back high countless times. Had more of the ball and mmoved it well at times. The switch to a 4-3-3 shape when Smith went off fir Cudjoe was interesting and seemed to work. They had spells when they had lots of ball again without us looking troubled. We actually looked more dynamic than they did when attacking, although didn't really create many chances. Disappointing yes, but good to see McLeod and Cudjoe. Meekison better in the midfield 3, although not his finest game.
    Was a worrying goal to lose, another simple ball over the top. Haven't seen the keeper's positioning back, but didn't automatically think he was at fault. In general he seemed solid, although shaky with the ball at his feet.
    Graham was good throughout. Sibbald and Watt did well. Cudjoe and Mcleod were bright. Freeman good too (although possibly could do better for second goal)

More positives than negatives for me from today. Good exercise against a good team. Their fluidity and positional rotation was excellent yet didn't really cut us apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I do sometimes think I watch a different game. Thought it was a useful exercise. We were clearly working on shape and structure. They had lots of possession first half but we were comfortable. Didn't quite get our press right in that first half, Meekison out of position playing wider. Niskanen was very good, disciplined and effective as a wingback. Terrible mistake by Smith for their goal, but a friendly factor in that. Don't think he tries that pass in a league game. We offered little attacking threat in first half, went too direct off of Fletcher and that was disappointing. The few attacks we had were when we did get the ball down and pass it.

Second half better. Our press was more coordinated, we set traps and won the ball back high countless times. Had more of the ball and mmoved it well at times. The switch to a 4-3-3 shape when Smith went off fir Cudjoe was interesting and seemed to work. They had spells when they had lots of ball again without us looking troubled. We actually looked more dynamic than they did when attacking, although didn't really create many chances. Disappointing yes, but good to see McLeod and Cudjoe. Meekison better in the midfield 3, although not his finest game.
    Was a worrying goal to lose, another simple ball over the top. Haven't seen the keeper's positioning back, but didn't automatically think he was at fault. In general he seemed solid, although shaky with the ball at his feet.
    Graham was good throughout. Sibbald and Watt did well. Cudjoe and Mcleod were bright. Freeman good too (although possibly could do better for second goal)

More positives than negatives for me from today. Good exercise against a good team. Their fluidity and positional rotation was excellent yet didn't really cut us apart.
    A very balanced view of today. Thought it was a worthwhile exercise which was very much used to try out different players/systems. Swansea are a better team than us and a week ahead in the mini preseason schedule. All about getting minutes back into players.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)