+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which of our current team

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    in fairness, probably all of our current team would get into that squad. Standards of fitness and diet, tactics, phases of play etc are massively better than the early 90's , we are talking almost 30 years difference. Education , sports science have moved on dramatically.

You could not drop David Batty into todays team and expect the same results he had in his time, our defensive midfielder is Bruno, this position does not just sit in front of the back 4, it now needs to tackle, pass, start the attacks, become the attack, score goals and be a playmaker.

Like how many of that 1994 squad would get into the squad of 1964?, again probably all of them
    That's not really the point of this execise though Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    That's not really the point of this execise though Tanya
    my bad, i have re read the OP

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    my bad, i have re read the OP
    You are spot on with your points though. The game has changed completely since then!

😄

Pele - the best player of all time would have trouble getting a game in the PL these days taking stamina, fitness and speed of the game into account.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    ��

Pele - the best player of all time would have trouble getting a game in the PL these days taking stamina, fitness and speed of the game into account.
    The original Pele would, but a modern day Pele in his prime and toned up with, as you say stamina, fitness, and speed of the game would be magnificent to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    You are spot on with your points though. The game has changed completely since then!
    i looked at it from a total wrong point of view lol, my thoughts were like there were very different requirements and attributes to have in order to be a professional footballer.

example, in the 90's a manager might be looking for a good CB, a manager them days wanted a tall player, good with his head and gets stuck into a tackle, those were the requirements for a CB (think Peacock)

now look at today, we have Fabian Schar, he can head a ball but not as good as Peacock, he's not tall, he can tackle but not as good as Peacock - however, he can pass a ball, he can run out with a ball, spray a 70 yard pass to feet and smash a ball in the top corner from 40 yards away

i just meant footballers in them days had different requirements and attributes to those of today, some of todays footballers would not have made it back then

imagine Neil Ruddock, an England international and Liverpool player, he would not be a footballer in the modern game,
    Gary Lineker would not be Englands number 1 striker today
    Last edited by TANYA_; 01-12-2022 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    would get into this one?

Attachment 22974

Botman instead of Peacock, Trippier for Watson? Bruno for Batty?
    Think Albert was left footed, so not sure so would have both Botman and Albert… so would replace Peacock with Schar.

Srnicek for Pope
    Watson for Tripper
    Batty for Bruno

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)