+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Managerial applications.

Managerial applications.

It's all gone quiet, again. Anyone any information on how many applied/ are being considered. Any gossip/info at all about who, what and when?

Belly, the only candidate worth considering

Well, he's got the job. No doubt there will be vitriol about as some people, although claiming to support the club, will find something to damn the club for.
    For me, I've got mixed feelings about the appointment. Maybe a short term external appointment with Bell taking over later would have been a better bet. It's all an unknown anyway, he may flop, he may be a great success. The same could be said for any other person. Noone can see the future.
    Now that he's got it, I wish him all the best. I'm sure his immediate goal is mid-able solidity, which is all most of us wanted at the beginning of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Well, he's got the job. No doubt there will be vitriol about as some people, although claiming to support the club, will find something to damn the club for.
    For me, I've got mixed feelings about the appointment. Maybe a short term external appointment with Bell taking over later would have been a better bet. It's all an unknown anyway, he may flop, he may be a great success. The same could be said for any other person. Noone can see the future.
    Now that he's got it, I wish him all the best. I'm sure his immediate goal is mid-able solidity, which is all most of us wanted at the beginning of the season.
    Didn't the advert for manager just close last Saturday? So 50 odd applicants and 12 shortlisted and all considered/interviewed in three days? Wouldn't that take a few weeks to complete? Of course many/most of them could be asking for a salary way out but presumably the 12 wouldn't?

The Chairman needs to make public why he cast aside the 12 just to appoint a youth team manager with respect to LB and so what happens if it all goes wrong in the next few months? Of course IF its true the club is still paying Dave Artell then maybe they haven't got the money for a new experienced manager and what would happen to all the other managers we have on the books and please don't get me started on why a lower fourth division club needs more than ONE manager to dictate tactics for every game once a week and then watches them in training the rest of the time? If we can afford to keep all these non players on the books then our aspirations for higher league football is zilch! Just my opinion based on the past history of over a hundred years football not needing any other than ONE manager and a bloke or lady with a sponge! Each non player takes the wages of a decent player that could be signed. What experience has the BoD got in running a fotball club? As someone else has asked what IS a player development manager? How much are all these managers paid? Of course LB is a great supporter of the club and who knows it could work out? But we still only need ONE manager imo anyway and the club is actually smaller than it used to be many years ago and so no need to increase the budget for non players...Each one is a drain on the playing budget UNLESS the FA/PL are paying for them all?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 01-12-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Of course, if they were inefficient and didn't think the matter was urgent then, yes, the whole process could have taken longer. I assume they had strict criteria and could exclude/ include candidates when their CVs arrived. Interviews could be onscreen or by phone. It's the modern world. More to football than over the ankle boots, button-up shirts and leather cases!

cases* = caseys

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Belly, the only candidate worth considering
    How do you know ?

Opinion.....its a forum for opinions

Thinking on this....Lets say all the other 12 candidates wanted to bring in their own assistant manager, not an unreasonable request, and that would have meant the club having to presumably sack three others ie LB, Alex and KL. Could the club afford all that and so maybe appointing an outsider was never a serious proposition unless someone who was experienced with no need for money agreeing to keeping everyone else in place? The other consideration and maybe as important was the 12 being asked if they would play untried academy grauduates in the first team? Answer....Yes IF they were good enough etc! So anoher plus for the status quo actually. Surely any outside manager would have wanted to see Reasheath and all that side of it....in 3 days?

gazan probably suggesting appointing a new outsider with LB as assistant would be a better bet? But that again meant sackings for the two others...The history of appointing managers from the academy is not good and one would think the BoD would have known that? Not many clubs ever do that as it really is a different game, lads and men playing is really different.. Even LB has said this a few times....Best of luck to him anyway..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 01-12-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Opinion.....its a forum for opinions
    Oh yes? I'm glad you are on my side at last! 300 posts saying the very same thing is maybe a bit boring!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast