+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Christianity dead in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Not really convinced that's relevant, our governments don't get much over 40% of the vote in any general election, they're still the legitimate, democratically elected government though.
    You are kidding - right. About 70,000 old Tory buffers have elected three different Prime Ministers in the last three months. I do not call that democracy mon ami.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    You are kidding - right. About 70,000 old Tory buffers have elected three different Prime Ministers in the last three months. I do not call that democracy mon ami.
    Don't get distracted by yet another dead cat, that's all this Jenkins Grauniad piece is, a distraction, there are far more concerning happenings beyond the smokescreen mon ami.

It is democracy as always has been though BT. Never having been a member of any political party I have never. in my years of eligibility to vote, been asked to vote for a Prime Minister.
    Are you advocating that we do as the Americans do and vote for a President who, incidentally in the UK, does not exist? Perhaps a non-existent person or robot would do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    It is democracy as always has been though BT. Never having been a member of any political party I have never. in my years of eligibility to vote, been asked to vote for a Prime Minister.
    Are you advocating that we do as the Americans do and vote for a President who, incidentally in the UK, does not exist? Perhaps a non-existent person or robot would do a better job.
    Be careful what you wish for mein freund. I've heard dafter ideas!

Be careful what you wish for mein freund. I've heard dafter ideas!
    I don't wish for anything mein freund because we are just pawns in the game being played by who knows who. Get on with life and stop worrying what may or may not happen. I haven't said it for a long time but ------que sera sera!

Not here in the UK I don't feel Swissclaret. We have a newly appointed Head of the Church of England who happily accepts bags of lucre from Muslim protagonists.

I asked specifically about the UK, but Catholicism is dead on its feet in Ireland, could you imagine saying that 30 years ago?

The demise of the Church of England seems to have coincided with a loss of social values. Knife crime, street violence, drug usage, real poverty is all in my opinion down to the loss of community cohesion the Parish Church brought in its wake.

We live in challenging times. What Would Jesus Do?
    That is why I drew a distinction between spirituality and organised, ritualistic religion.

Ritualistic religion is dying on its feet, I agree. As a Catholic, I think that is long overdue. Too many Catholics, for example, live selfish lives but believe that they are “saved”.

I think that Jesus, Buddha, Confucius and Mohammed would say the same thing- people will be known by the lives that they live, not by how often they go to church, synagogue or mosque. All one can do is try to live a good life. As St Paul says (Corinthians), in the end, there is faith, hope and love (caritas), and the greatest of these is love.

There is massive evil in the world. When Jesus was tempted by the devil, He was offered the whole world if He worshiped the devil. Jesus did not say the the devil did not own the world to give.

Indeed, in the Old Testament, God gives the world to the devil.

Irrespective of belief in God, all one can do is live as good a life as possible and leave the place a little better than when you arrived.

The rest is bullsh*t in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    That is why I drew a distinction between spirituality and organised, ritualistic religion.

Ritualistic religion is dying on its feet, I agree. As a Catholic, I think that is long overdue. Too many Catholics, for example, live selfish lives but believe that they are “saved”.

I think that Jesus, Buddha, Confucius and Mohammed would say the same thing- people will be known by the lives that they live, not by how often they go to church, synagogue or mosque. All one can do is try to live a good life. As St Paul says (Corinthians), in the end, there is faith, hope and love (caritas), and the greatest of these is love.

There is massive evil in the world. When Jesus was tempted by the devil, He was offered the whole world if He worshiped the devil. Jesus did not say the the devil did not own the world to give.

Indeed, in the Old Testament, God gives the world to the devil.

Irrespective of belief in God, all one can do is live as good a life as possible and leave the place a little better than when you arrived.

The rest is bullsh*t in my opinion.
    With you one hundred percent Swiss. Makes life much simpler too, you just need to be true to yourself.

Glad to see you weren't indoctrinated at St. Teds Swiss despite the compulsory Scriptures O Level (which I managed to fail).

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Glad to see you weren't indoctrinated at St. Teds Swiss despite the compulsory Scriptures O Level (which I managed to fail).
    My old classmates are still giggling because I was awarded the "Special Prize" (a £5.00 book token to be redeemed at Wardleworths, Accrington) for Religious Education.

Just asking what anyone else thinks but here's a view...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rm=63878c18569
    Religion / Christianity is a need , many people need it or something to believe in to grasp to , life has been like that forever.

I think the demise / decrease in popularity if you like , is due to how people live now.

There is a knock on effect served from the top
    In our country , and I honestly believe it’s like I’ve said so many times in politics and that is that it’s now Eng rained into people to look after yourself and never mind anyone else.

Community spirit is almost gone , neighbours helping each other is none existent, politics and the running of the country has forced many into
    Selfish mode and all Christian values are lost / forgotten trying to look after your own.

Divide and Conquer springs to mind again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)