+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Racism “scandal” at the Palace.

If Fulani's transcript is accurate, this lady pressed her repeatedly and with all her experience, cannot plead ignorance here. Asking someone where they're from is fine to get conversation going and establish common ground/shared interests etc but this strays into different territory.

Fulani has every right to shine a light on it, it's a free country, what I don't agree with is the closing down of debate by labelling anyone who disagrees with her to be a racist, it's lazy and really doesn't help matters.

There are double standards in the media as had the roles been reversed it wouldn't have made headlines when we all know racism isn't confined to white people.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    If Fulani's transcript is accurate, this lady pressed her repeatedly and with all her experience, cannot plead ignorance here. Asking someone where they're from is fine to get conversation going and establish common ground/shared interests etc but this strays into different territory.

Fulani has every right to shine a light on it, it's a free country, what I don't agree with is the closing down of debate by labelling anyone who disagrees with her to be a racist, it's lazy and really doesn't help matters.

There are double standards in the media as had the roles been reversed it wouldn't have made headlines when we all know racism isn't confined to white people.
    But where is the proof of this supposed transcript of the conversation WCV?

Was she recording it and if so why?

I can’t remember every word of a conversation verbatim so how can she?

None of us know if Lady Hussey has dementia of any sort, perhaps she’s “hiding” it from people.

I’ve read people supporting Hussey today and saying how kind and thoughtful she’s always been.

I don’t know enough about her to comment on that though.

This just feels like an old person has been conveniently targeted and thrown under the bus in a chase for sensationalist headlines.

I doubt very much Hussey is a racist, at worst probably oblivious to what’s expected these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

None of us know if Lady Hussey has dementia of any sort, perhaps she’s “hiding” it from people.

I’ve read people supporting Hussey today and saying how kind and thoughtful she’s always been.

This just feels like an old person has been conveniently targeted and thrown under the bus in a chase for sensationalist headlines.

I doubt very much Hussey is a racist, at worst probably oblivious to what’s expected these days.

She’s an old lady for f uck sake! Same when Dave Whelan was attacked and almost ruined when he referred to a Chinese as a chinky! The world’s gone mad!! Should ginger people, Spanish and Italians make the same noise when they are abused? What about the Irish when idiots call them all thick? Let’s just ban bananas from supermarkets before a shelf packer gets a racist tag!!

PS - I love a good chinky myself washed down by a nice Malbec!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Having just watched Ngozi Fulani's interview, she certainly does not come across as a "horrible" woman out to score points on the back of playing the "race" card and she makes some very valid points and seems quite a measured and thoughtful person. That said, I personally don't think such insults are helpful. We are all too quick to make judgement calls at times without investigating the headlines further. This doesn't then mean that we are necessarily either cretins or racist.
    Regis80 is 100% correct and you obviously don't know the history of the poster in question.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    She’s an old lady for f uck sake! Same when Dave Whelan was attacked and almost ruined when he referred to a Chinese as a chinky! The world’s gone mad!! Should ginger people, Spanish and Italians make the same noise when they are abused? What about the Irish when idiots call them all thick? Let’s just ban bananas from supermarkets before a shelf packer gets a racist tag!!

PS - I love a good chinky myself washed down by a nice Malbec!
    Ah, gingers!!
    Whenever I get into discussion about racism I always tend to bring up the example of "ginger" people and how often they are the butt of people's jokes purely because of the colour of their hair. Race is one of the legally protected characteristics but prejudices are certainly not just confined to people of different skin colours and the tropes of the thick Irishman, tight Scotsman or thriving Scouser for example are sadly as evident today as they were decades ago.

Whilst I do get annoyed at the constant black/white narrative around racism ( there is plenty of racism/colourism amongst "people of colour" just as there is between white people of different nationalities) it is sadly true that this does still exist in this country. To be honest, I was genuinely shocked when I looked into it at how much racism black or brown people in this country still have to endure as I thought we were well past the bad old days of the 60s/70s. But it doesn't take much effort to.find out that this is not the case. Violent racism may well have declined but "casual" racism is still alive and kicking. If you don't believe this, have a conversation with any black or brown friends or work colleagues.

I have zero tolerance for those who play the race card just as I do for those who are too PC to point out that the *****phile gangs operating in Bradford were overwhelmingly of Pakistani origin but anyone who thinks that racism is not still an issue in this country is deluded. From what I have heard of Ngozi Fulani's interview, I personally think she raises some very valid points.

Thriving Scouser!😀
    Bloody predictive text-thieving Scouser!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Tbh, from the reports I have read -and given the fact that Lady Hussey herself has not denied the alleged comments she is reported to have made-I believe the remarks were made and that they were racist. That said, I think the Palace has acted uncharacteristically quickly and also rather heavy handedly -doubtless both because of the current PC climate and also the recent allegations from Megan about racist comments from a member of the Royal Family towards their new born.

It seems likely that Lady Hussey meant no genuine offence and that her actions were largely generational. This does not make what she said right but in this case, surely it would have been far better to have a conversation with her and explain exactly why her comments were construed as offensive rather than simply punish her. Dialogue over such issues is always going to be better than censorship in terms of helping to resolve them.

I think Fulani was right to raise her concerns and I understand why she did not raise them at the time and why it was only on reflection that she felt angrier but maybe a better way forward would have been not to go public but to have the discussion with Lady Hussey privately. If Hussey is as "nice" as some claim, I am sure she would be mortified at causing offence, begin to understand Fulani's point of view and realise that such remarks were not appropriate. It may have been a learning curve for her but that would have been the end of it. I do get why Fulani may have used this particular example to raise the issue of casual racism still being very much alive but also understand why some might view Hussey as being "thrown under the bus".

Few things i’ll point out omega, not all in direct response to what you’ve said above but generally just so those reading can understand where I stand in all this.

Lady Hussey - I didn’t come out flying out the blocks to be critical of her. As most have said it’s a generational thing with her age etc and you can see why. But she did go far - and it would have been wise to start this thread before hearing both sides Mick. Don’t mean to have a pop at you Mick but for some one that’s well balanced you should know.

Anyway, It was the whole attack on yet another black person - being called horrible (with the little or no evidence to go off). You are fairly new to this board Omega and make great arguments. But all i’ll say about Kettering Baggie - he’s by no means a saint, despite his claims that he works in charity and he’s a nice guy. A number of times he’s made remarks that make you wonder where his views lie, even those that are pals with him on here know this deep down, I bet you. There’s a tell tale sign of this ‘type of racist’ that exists online. He won’t be direct about it but the things he says does make you wonder. Yaaawnnn.. yes you want evidence. It’s clearly obvious.

For the record:
    I am very anti-woke. I disagree with the knee, how ridiculous was it we did this against the USA the other day and they didn’t take part? Silly silly silly.

I hate this whole rainbow laces bullock drama we get fed to us all the time.
    Pronouns etc, wtf.

I’m no way leftie, but I see the evil current tory party are doing and the injustices to wealth in this country.

I could go on. But my points are in answer to incase i’m being labelled PC brigade.
    Last edited by regis80; 02-12-2022 at 10:43 AM.

I would never claim to be a ‘saint’ and I have never claimed to work in ‘charity’ because I haven’t! What I dislike about this affair is that the woman at the centre of this has, in my opinion, blown it up way beyond the reasonable and milked it to raise her own profile; opportunism, if you like. I am no fan of the whole ‘royalty’ business but the reaction of this woman has trashed the reputation of an old lady who probably meant no harm in the pursuit of her own ends. The whole matter could have been dealt with far more discreetly. As for my attitudes in general, I try to treat people that I meet in a way that I hope they would treat me and if you, Regis, don’t believe me, I don’t give a damn.

My take on this not my words but I totally agree.
    , seeking to sugarcoat what was clear racism. Their reasoning broadly seems to be as follows:
    It's acceptable for people who are above a certain age threshold to be racist
    Someone who has presumably travelled the world with the Queen for many years, experiencing many cultures, faiths and creeds in the process, and who will have had countless briefings that royal staff receive on what is and isn't acceptable, should nevertheless should be excused for naive ignorance in not understanding the simple fact that a person of colour can actually have been born in the UK.
    People born in the UK shouldn't dress culturally, but in a way which emphasises their "Britishness" (no doubt also waving little Union Flags at every opportunity). Perhaps those who believe this can outline what appropriate attire is to ensure that we all follow this requirement? Perhaps people from the UK should only be allowed to have certain hairstyles as well?
    Despite someone stating very clearly where they're from, it's fine to keep badgering them about it on the assumption that they must be lying
    Ngozi Fulani must have exaggerated it or made it up, despite the fact that others overheard the conversation. No doubt they're making it up too, this being more palatable to some people than entertaining the idea that it actually happened.
    It shouldn't be reported because there are more important things going on. Some will be saying the same about the World Cup, the daily updates we were given on Matt Hancock in the jungle and/or the latest antics of the clearly insane Kanye West, to name but a few.
    If indeed Lady Hussey is "batty", why was she at given a prominent role at the reception (hosted by the Queen Consort) where this happened? Also, why does she continue to be employed if she can't properly discharge her duties?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)