+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The World Cup 2022 so far

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    What happened before in football BT counts for nothing , so current world champions means zilch you must see something I don’t in them.

I’m not saying they aren’t a reasonable side but they hardly set the world on fire do they - My question would be what about at the other end of the pitch , are they up to it defensively? I’m not sure
    If we can stop Griezmann playing and check Mbappe's runs, we can beat the French of that I have no doubt.

Interesting week of analysis for Southgate coming up, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    If we can stop Griezmann playing and check Mbappe's runs, we can beat the French of that I have no doubt.

Interesting week of analysis for Southgate coming up, I think.
    Gareth has got lucky imo, nothing was going to budge him from his negative Rice/Philips duo, until Philips got injured and he was forced to give Bellingham his chance. If Philips had stayed fit I'm confident Bellingham would still be starting on the bench and we'd all be wondering, Gareth included, just how good is this lad.

Up front he's landed on his feet again, never in a million years was he going to drop the hapless Sterling, he rested him against Wales and now the poor lad has had to go home, so he's had to do what all the world and his wife, except Gareth, could see was the bleedin obvious, leave Sterling out and embed Foden in the team.

It sometimes happens, managers end up playing their best eleven, not through tactical acumen or good judgement, but through luck and happenstance, and I reckon it's happened to Gareth here. He just might, purely through luck, or more accurately injury and robbery, have stumbled upon his best team.

It was a a famous Frenchman, Napoleon Bonaparte, who said, 'I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones', maybe England's general has got lucky, just in time for France to meet another Waterloo.
    Last edited by sinkov; 05-12-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Gareth has got lucky imo, nothing was going to budge him from his negative Rice/Philips duo, until Philips got injured and he was forced to give Bellingham his chance. If Philips had stayed fit I'm confident Bellingham would still be starting on the bench and we'd all be wondering, Gareth included, just how good is this lad.

Up front he's landed on his feet again, never in a million years was he going to drop the hapless Sterling, he rested him against Wales and now the poor lad has had to go home, so he's had to do what all the world and his wife, except Gareth, could see was the bleedin obvious, leave Sterling out and embed Foden in the team.

It sometimes happens, managers end up playing their best eleven, not through tactical acumen or good judgement, but through luck and happenstance, and I reckon it's happened to Gareth here. He just might, purely through luck, or more accurately injury and robbery, have stumbled upon his best team.

It was a a famous Frenchman, Napoleon Bonaparte, who said, 'I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones', maybe England's general has got lucky, just in time for France to meet another Waterloo.
    I've always loved the word "happenstance" mon ami. I hope the bizzies by happenstance catch the filthy scum who took advantage of Sterling's absence to rob his family at gunpoint.

I've always loved the word "happenstance" mon ami. I hope the bizzies by happenstance catch the filthy scum who took advantage of Sterling's absence to rob his family at gunpoint.
    If the bizzies do catch the scum it will be by happenstance mon ami, there's little chance of them apprehending the villians using normal policing methods, they won't have a fecking clue where to start. On the other hand, give Raheem a bit of abuse of a dubious nature on social media, and the bizzies will be feeling your collar within the hour. They're very good at policing spurious social media drivel, but real crime, serious stuff, forget it.

If the bizzies do catch the scum it will be by happenstance mon ami, there's little chance of them apprehending the villians using normal policing methods, they won't have a fecking clue where to start. On the other hand, give Raheem a bit of abuse of a dubious nature on social media, and the bizzies will be feeling your collar within the hour. They're very good at policing spurious social media drivel, but real crime, serious stuff, forget it.
    The "Law & Order party" are $hite are they not. People round here don't even bother calling the bizzies anymore because there simply is no point.

You've more chance of getting an ambulance than seeing a police car.

No games for two days, I'm missing it already, what I won't miss is the sound of the following echoing interminably round my living room.

Should have done better.
    Not enough on it.
    Absolutely.
    He's got to score.
    Too much on it.
    Body language.
    It really is.

One cliche which is now obligatory in the PL seems to have gone missing in Qatar, what's happened to 'opened up his body' I haven't heard it yet ?

No games for two days, I'm missing it already, what I won't miss is the sound of the following echoing interminably round my living room.

Should have done better.
    Not enough on it.
    Absolutely.
    He's got to score.
    Too much on it.
    Body language.
    It really is.

One cliche which is now obligatory in the PL seems to have gone missing in Qatar, what's happened to 'opened up his body' I haven't heard it yet ?
    Here you are sinkov, I hope that this fills the void and meets the criteria of the missing cliche.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-4-episode-3

Should have done better.
    Not enough on it.
    Absolutely.
    He's got to score.
    Too much on it.
    Body language.
    It really is.

High press.
    Low press.
    Transition.
    Set the bar.
    The list goes on interminably mon ami.

High press.
    Low press.
    Transition.
    Set the bar.
    The list goes on interminably mon ami.
    I've even heard counterpress mentioned, no bloody idea what that is. I'm not a big fan of Shearer, but he did sum up the state of penalty taking well, "Whatever happened to picking your spot and hitting it hard."

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Here you are sinkov, I hope that this fills the void and meets the criteria of the missing cliche.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-4-episode-3
    You got me there Sub, I thought you'd found the real thing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)