+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T:- Pele

Not to take anything away from Pele's achievements, but I'm getting a bit annoyed now by the amount of times I'm seeing people claim he won the World Cup three times. Getting injured in the 2nd match of the group stage (1962) and not playing again in that tournament isn't winning it. They still managed to beat England without him in the QFs - though perhaps Jimmy Greaves was put off somewhat by having to play in a shirt that had been urinated on by a stray dog......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkdwEthYvyA

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Not to take anything away from Pele's achievements, but I'm getting a bit annoyed now by the amount of times I'm seeing people claim he won the World Cup three times. Getting injured in the 2nd match of the group stage (1962) and not playing again in that tournament isn't winning it. They still managed to beat England without him in the QFs - though perhaps Jimmy Greaves was put off somewhat by having to play in a shirt that had been urinated on by a stray dog......

I'm surprised Greavsie didn't give us the lead.

There's a film on prime video called Pele, Birth of a legend. Brilliant film of his life and his 1st World cup. Well worth looking at

Sad to hear, such a gentleman and true legend.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

No more annoying than your claim he almost won the world cup single handed? Yes he was their star man but he had to cheat to beat us and it is an insult to the rest of the Argentine side.
    Pele played the game as it should be played and at 17 was brilliant in the 1958 world cup as well as the 1970 one.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    No more annoying than your claim he almost won the world cup single handed? Yes he was their star man but he had to cheat to beat us and it is an insult to the rest of the Argentine side.
    Pele played the game as it should be played and at 17 was brilliant in the 1958 world cup as well as the 1970 one.
    That's what I was inferring with "As a man though and as the star man of the greatest team, Pele is the ultimate face of World football."

Pele had the better career overall. Maradona in his prime had a greater impact on his team than Pele in his prime. Brazil won the World Cup without Pele, Argentina would not have won the 1986 World Cup without Maradona. That will never be a popular opinion in England for obvious reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12