+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Anyone Make A Case For Automatic Promotion ?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I don't understand your obsession with a target striker YN .

The way Duff plays is to break the lines with quick incisive passing and one and two touch play with good movement .

Very often this results in low crosses flashing across the face with nobody most of the time not getting on the end of them .

The number of times I've seen our strikers not gambling and not getting in there this season is extraordinary .

Cadden puts some devastating crosses in to really good areas , Sam Winnall would be licking his lips in this team .

That's what we need to take us to another level in this league , someone with a instinct and does his work in the penalty box .

A big brainless hold up merchant with the goal scoring record of Victor is just about the last thing that would improve this team given the way Duff has us playing .
    I was only joking when saying - I might have mentioned it before 😄
    But since you’ve described why we don’t need a target striker - I’ll explain why I think we do.

I think you would understand it if we get the right target striker.
    But no - I don’t want a brainless hold up merchant either.
    And IMO Victor wasn’t a target striker - too small and easily levered off the ball.

What a target striker brings is OPTIONS.
    We can continue with the passing into the box for strikers to get on the end of - but having the option of bringing a target striker on enables other options including bringing other players into play, including midfielders.

You mentioned Cadden - who yes can cross a ball.
    The right target striker in conjunction with Cadden would create chances for those around him.
    Cole is doing his best to try and fill that target striker role - but nearly every time I see a pass lumped forward it’s equivalent to giving the ball back to the opposition.

It’s frustrating - as I believe we are just that one player short of being a top two team.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 04-12-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I was only joking when saying - I might have mentioned it before 😄
    But since you’ve described why we don’t need a target striker - I’ll explain why I think we do.

I think you would understand it if we get the right target striker.
    But no - I don’t want a brainless hold up merchant either.
    And IMO Victor wasn’t a target striker - too small and easily levered off the ball.

What a target striker brings is OPTIONS.
    We can continue with the passing into the box for strikers to get on the end of - but having the option of bringing a target striker on enables other options including bringing other players into play, including midfielders.

You mentioned Cadden - who yes can cross a ball.
    The right target striker in conjunction with Cadden would create chances for those around him.
    Cole is doing his best to try and fill that target striker role - but nearly every time I see a pass lumped forward it’s equivalent to giving the ball back to the opposition.

It’s frustrating - as I believe we are just that one player short of being a top two team.
    All about opinions YN , it's my view your theory would slow us down when Duff's philosophy is speed and breaking the opposition lines .

The only viable shout for a big target striker is an option off the bench when we are a goal down with 10 minutes to go and we lump it .

You could easily do that by pushing Cundy , Mads or Kitching up top and you'd probably get the same result .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    All about opinions YN , it's my view your theory would slow us down when Duff's philosophy is speed and breaking the opposition lines .

The only viable shout for a big target striker is an option off the bench when we are a goal down with 10 minutes to go and we lump it .

You could easily do that by pushing Cundy , Mads or Kitching up top and you'd probably get the same result .
    All about opinions.
    And may that continue.

Just watching build up to Wycombe v Portsmouth match.
    Wycombe director just said something very true - ‘why is it that the best football managers are doing other jobs’.
    😊😊😊

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12