+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: England v Senegal Match Thoughts

Difficult first half hour for us tonight but I always felt we could catch the Senegalese on the break with our quality and pace. Senegal were very susceptible on the break because they had 6 players in attacking positions at times which is suicidal when your opposition boasts the quality that we do. England just needed to find a way to unlock the door and we did with 2 excellent goals.

Jude Bellingham looks an unbelievable footballer. The way he set up those first two goals was sheer class, especially the second England goal. Imo it was world class play was that second goal, how Bellingham took the ball out of defence with authority and control, jinked and put Foden in to set up Kane was midfield play of the highest order- wonderful to watch.

Phil Foden also contributed very well. He is growing into the England fold very nicely. Harry Kane is showing his quality too. He's having a very solid tournament and his quality and tenacity in holding the ball up is an underrated commodity because the emphasis is always on goals where he's concerned. A mention too for Henderson who looks a key part of the squad and a great leader. Deccan Rice also had his best game of the tournament tonight too.

France is gonna be a chance for our lads to show how good they are. Business end of the tournament now boys. These are the games you want to be involved in. Looking forward to it.

Bellingham showed tonight what an outstanding player he is, having these easy games has been a godsend for Gareth, who has been able to take key players off and give others game time, so they are fresh for the next match.
    When we are attacking we look absolute quality, but we have to play quick one touch football to get in behind teams, our problem lies with the defence? Yes we have only conceded 2 goals so far, but all this passing around the back 4 slows down the game and the midfield constantly going backwards giving it to them and it doesn’t aid our game! Bellingham was having none of that against Senegal and just kept going through them causing mayhem.
    France is a proper test and should be a great game, but we have to have a go! I know there are times where the defence have to hold the ball, but a lot of time we do it needlessly, if we don’t start off on the front foot against France and pass it quickly into dangerous areas they will do us.

Goals change games.

Reyt up to the first goal Senegal were all ovva us.

They folded like a pack of cards when it went in.

Senegal missed a trick not picking Thiam 😉

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Goals change games.

Reyt up to the first goal Senegal were all ovva us.

They folded like a pack of cards when it went in.
    I'd hardly say that they were all over us SB. They were looking the most likely to take the lead but mostly it was England's own doing in my opinion. Senegal pressed us high which is fair enough but never had the quality within their ranks to carve us open or play interchanging passing football in the final third of the pitch. The two chances that Senegal had came through our silly mistakes from us giving the ball away in the wrong areas. I think if a team is all over you, then the possession and chances reflect that, pretty much like our game at Peterborough on Friday for instance- I would say that we wo all over them in that first aif an hour playing slick passing one touch football and fashioning our own chances through good play and asserting dominance.

I give Senegal credit and bar being without the injured Mane up front, it may well have been a different story in that first aif an hour.

Top weight on Saturday nite keeping that bugga quiet .

Dooable mind .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12