+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Team formation

Team formation

In the last game, LB lined up a 442/433. This was an attempt I believe to move forward more quickly than we had been doing recently. I think that the return of Colkett perhaps encouraged the idea. Well, it worked, sort of, for a short while but then collapsed in the second half as Colkett ran out of puff (amongst others!) and Newport adapted to it.
    Next Saturday is a totally different proposition. With that in mind, should Bell persist with a more attacking outlook with the idea that it needs to be put in to practice on a regular basis, if it is to bear fruit or should he consider reverting to a heavily defensive set up in the hope we can repeat the result from the last time we played Leyton Orient (and worked for him in 3 successive games).
    The third option is: can he be expected to do much with the players he has at his disposal (until the window opens)?

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    In the last game, LB lined up a 442/433. This was an attempt I believe to move forward more quickly than we had been doing recently. I think that the return of Colkett perhaps encouraged the idea. Well, it worked, sort of, for a short while but then collapsed in the second half as Colkett ran out of puff (amongst others!) and Newport adapted to it.
    Next Saturday is a totally different proposition. With that in mind, should Bell persist with a more attacking outlook with the idea that it needs to be put in to practice on a regular basis, if it is to bear fruit or should he consider reverting to a heavily defensive set up in the hope we can repeat the result from the last time we played Leyton Orient (and worked for him in 3 successive games).
    The third option is: can he be expected to do much with the players he has at his disposal (until the window opens)?
    OK a football question..

The problem is HOW players here are taught or coached if you like to play this game. Dario was famous for Crewe being acknowledged as a 'passing side' and so the players here are driven nuts by having many coaches/managers all shouting at players to do this or do that and imv gets on their nerves as they can become frightened to go against them. That is why there should not be more than one manager in the Tech Area...That is enough for any team. No team should be thinking of a defensive set up only an attacking one and so let the players express their natural ability and take players on. I would rather lose 10-9 than 1-0 but that is just me... Its why as a wing half as it was I used to score many goals as was always thinking of attacking the goal and no such word as a 'defensive' midfielder...Winning games 1-0 does nothing for me, sorry..

I did say one time one lad who played in the academy about 17 he was and his dad was watching the game and as a midfielder he decided to run through their defence and scored a goal and Dario was shouting for him to pass the ball way before and it hissed the youngster off that he left the academy and never played for them again...Passing the ball is second rate to beating a player imv...Doing both is OK but not passing the ball when you are ten yards out as we do..

Zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz

In response to Gazans considered post, I think Bellys biggest problem is the injuries to the 2 players who would be expected to contribute the majority of the goals. Since he took over, the defence has been tightened, but we look toothless up front.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    In response to Gazans considered post, I think Bellys biggest problem is the injuries to the 2 players who would be expected to contribute the majority of the goals. Since he took over, the defence has been tightened, but we look toothless up front.
    His name is LEE Bell.... actually!

Pick 9 or 10 defenders, that is why the team cannot score...Evidence is clear as a Bell!

WHY did we have FIVE forwards at one time, not that long ago, before academies actually!

Ignore the evidence and ignorance prevails..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    His name is LEE Bell.... actually!
    It's not, is it? Well I didn't know that!!!

Walter Winterbottom introduced 4-2-4 in the fifties. I think we played 5 forwards against Hungary in both games 3-6 and 1-7.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Walter Winterbottom introduced 4-2-4 in the fifties. I think we played 5 forwards against Hungary in both games 3-6 and 1-7.
    4-3-3 can be traced back to Herbert Chapman in the 1920’s. And the Metodo with which Italy won 2 world cups, to the 1930’s. Neither of which features 5 forwards. Good old google.

How do you know that? Google? I was stating MY experience of watching football in the last 67 years... Google does NOT always tell the truth or did you not know that? The Italians always had great players until they started having academies...Brazil kids used the beach to practice on..

And you thought I should go away? .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast