+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Wrays butchers closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    I'm proud to be from Rotherham, even with the recent scandals, but the town centre is dire.
    I've lived in Barnsley for almost 9 years, if want to know what a town centre should be like, come to Barnsley for the day.
    Totally agree. I’ve been to Barnsley a few times since the Town Centre was finished. Much better than the cesspit that is Rotherham Town Centre.

One of the oldest & well respected shops now gone. Smith Bros aka the Ring Shop.It used to be a pleasure to go to the town now I don’t even go anymore.I’ve now heard that RMBC have dropped the £17million face lifted of the Rotherham Market.Sense at last.
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 10-03-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    I'm proud to be from Rotherham, even with the recent scandals, but the town centre is dire.
    I've lived in Barnsley for almost 9 years, if want to know what a town centre should be like, come to Barnsley for the day.
    Barnsley Council have done well with the centre, I know a few businesses packed in with the charges for the new market,
    we like to go on a Wednesday, call in Wetherspoons Silkstone [Closing] for a drink.
    Go to one of the cafe / restaurants above the market, different types of food, order & pay for your food, they give you
    a buzzer, goes off when food ready, gets really busy on market day.
    Went in Chennel's pub, only got John Smith's smooth though, but had a drink, good price pint & a J2O for £4, food
    cheap also. Won't be going back though with the beer not to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Barnsley Council have done well with the centre, I know a few businesses packed in with the charges for the new market,
    we like to go on a Wednesday, call in Wetherspoons Silkstone [Closing] for a drink.
    Go to one of the cafe / restaurants above the market, different types of food, order & pay for your food, they give you
    a buzzer, goes off when food ready, gets really busy on market day.
    Went in Chennel's pub, only got John Smith's smooth though, but had a drink, good price pint & a J2O for £4, food
    cheap also. Won't be going back though with the beer not to my taste.
    Barnsley Council have done well & received a national award for the Glassworks regeneration plan. - Good developer on board - good outside contractors - & more importantly outside private investors that came up with cash to help fund regeneration.
    The plan is to complete by 2033 (10yrs)

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    One of the oldest & well respected shops now gone. Smith Bros aka the Ring Shop.It used to be a pleasure to go to the town now I don’t even go anymore.I’ve now heard that RMBC have dropped the £17million face lifted of the Rotherham Market.Sense at last.
    There's a shortfall of cash for the Rotherham Market regeneration.
    Almost £10m shortfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Not disclosed who bought it, or what the premises will be used for.
    It's a 3 storey building so would make sense for the top floor to become apartments (subject to planning).
    There's rear access where delivery vehicles used to go.
    As long as the ground floor isn't a Poundshop / Pawnshop / Amusement Arcade all will be fine.

Difference with Barnsley and Rotherham is Barnsley Council didn't sell their soul, hence the difference in people using the town centre.

Bought the good lady her engagement ring from the Ring Shop. In there quite recently because it needed a repair. Karen the owner, looked inside the ring and told me exactly what I paid for it and what year. I asked her to explain how she worked it out so she did and I was amazed she was spot on.

As for the market, watch the council blow it daft on something else! Probably all go on or into the 'Forge Island' project.

What about the gaping whole where British Home stores use to be for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Bought the good lady her engagement ring from the Ring Shop. In there quite recently because it needed a repair. Karen the owner, looked inside the ring and told me exactly what I paid for it and what year. I asked her to explain how she worked it out so she did and I was amazed she was spot on.

As for the market, watch the council blow it daft on something else! Probably all go on or into the 'Forge Island' project.

What about the gaping whole where British Home stores use to be for starters?
    It’s going to be a green space with benches so the druggies & drunks can make a mess of it.

.I will give you one good tip for Christmas,if you buy a Turkey or chicken for Christmas ask your butchers to dip it in the brine pot it keeps it moist & tasty.
    Mum always got her meat frommthe stall in the market where Trevor Swift worked. Always got her pork joints dipped as she said it made better crackling.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast