+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the point

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Still working for the man - job security.

Sadly there's no such thing now.

The other thing is Regis, the longer you deny yourself the opportunity to do your own thing the more bitter you can become being employed.

That's what happened to me, I waited until I was 37 until I went on my own, I wish I'd done it years earlier.

Jeeez. I start a topic about the failings of our police force and almost at once bloody Racism rears its ugly head. Bloody sick of it. I think I'll post something on cookery next and see if someone out there can hang a Racism gripe on my recipe ideas. Fu*king sick of it.

It takes a lot of bottle to go out on your own and Mick has reaped the rewards. But a lot of people fail.
    You might laugh but when Thatcher put me and millions of others on the scrapheap in the eighties we were going to buy a fruit and veg shop.
    We had just had our first child and it was the second time she had made me redundant in five years. Engineering was dead. I was offered other jobs in engineering but only on three month contracts and since we had mortgage protection on our house I never considered them.
    I will never forget what it was like, for two years I went to the Labour exchange but was offered nothing but a pen to sign on.
    In the end I got a job on the council, not the most glamorous of jobs but it was a job and in those days a job for life. I was one of 500 who applied for it.
    I admire anyone like Mick who has the balls to strike out, but on the other hand I wouldn't like the worry of the business trend, or doing my own tax returns.
    Let someone else do that.
    I have always been a lazy sod but a happy one.🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Jeeez. I start a topic about the failings of our police force and almost at once bloody Racism rears its ugly head. Bloody sick of it. I think I'll post something on cookery next and see if someone out there can hang a Racism gripe on my recipe ideas. Fu*king sick of it.
    Fanny Craddock was better than Ainsley Herriot.😉

Just don't highlight a recipe that contains Black Pudding!

Yes, this happens all too easily. My apologies if I have contributed to the ‘hijacking’ of your topic, it’s probably best just to ignore the provocation to get sucked into such arguments. Anyway, football starts again this weekend, so perhaps we will have some discussions on the subject that this board is supposed to be predominantly about.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Just don't highlight a recipe that contains Black Pudding!
    Keep it under your hat but I ate Rice and Peas once and I don't want to be accused of cultural appropriation. Fu*king idiots. Lets get back to slagging off Livermore or Bartley for goodness sake and shut the fu*k up about race. Morgan Freeman was asked how do we end racism and his answer was to stop talking about it all the time. Can we please take his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    It takes a lot of bottle to go out on your own and Mick has reaped the rewards. But a lot of people fail.
    You might laugh but when Thatcher put me and millions of others on the scrapheap in the eighties we were going to buy a fruit and veg shop.
    We had just had our first child and it was the second time she had made me redundant in five years. Engineering was dead. I was offered other jobs in engineering but only on three month contracts and since we had mortgage protection on our house I never considered them.
    I will never forget what it was like, for two years I went to the Labour exchange but was offered nothing but a pen to sign on.
    In the end I got a job on the council, not the most glamorous of jobs but it was a job and in those days a job for life. I was one of 500 who applied for it.
    I admire anyone like Mick who has the balls to strike out, but on the other hand I wouldn't like the worry of the business trend, or doing my own tax returns.
    Let someone else do that.
    I have always been a lazy sod but a happy one.🙂
    The main thing people don’t understand about small business owners is the relationship with the employees, you are not sat in an ivory tower removed from folks you rise or fall with them, when things aren’t going well often small business owners, will put their employees before themselves, bosses are not always cigar smoking despots!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    The main thing people don’t understand about small business owners is the relationship with the employees, you are not sat in an ivory tower removed from folks you rise or fall with them, when things aren’t going well often small business owners, will put their employees before themselves, bosses are not always cigar smoking despots!
    You’re not wrong Dave.

I’ve kept a full staff this year whilst paying myself almost nothing for many months.

My staff have mostly been with me for between 7 and 17 years, the newer ones for over two years.

I can afford to go a few months on very little, they can’t.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    I worked for a small engineering firm in Princes End. Only thirty of us there and we were all on first name terms with the management, even the managing director. He would come down to the shop floor and ask how we were. Every Christmas we all got a fresh turkey and they would take us to the pub were they put a spread on and buy the first round.
    You go an extra mile for gaffers like that.
    Unfortunately our sister firm was struggling and our profits were going to subsidise the sister firm.
    The recievers came in and both firms were put up for sale. Someone bought the other firm and we went up the road.
    Such is life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)