+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Force Going On Strike

Border Force Going On Strike

I didn’t think this country had one!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I didn’t think this country had one!!!!!
    They are otherwise known as the UK Welcoming Committee!

Regarding all the strikes that are being announced, surely there is some coordination going on that is politically motivated. I am not a big fan of the Conservative government but the primary reason for soaring costs is Putin’s war in Ukraine. It cannot be financially viable to submit to all these union demands; everybody is going to be worse off to some degree, why should union members be any different? Some of those union leaders are on the hard left, they are, in my opinion, using their members to wage a campaign against the government.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    They are otherwise known as the UK Welcoming Committee!

Regarding all the strikes that are being announced, surely there is some coordination going on that is politically motivated. I am not a big fan of the Conservative government but the primary reason for soaring costs is Putin’s war in Ukraine. It cannot be financially viable to submit to all these union demands; everybody is going to be worse off to some degree, why should union members be any different? Some of those union leaders are on the hard left, they are, in my opinion, using their members to wage a campaign against the government.
    Think there is some truth in that. I have sympathy for those who work for companies who make big profits yet refuse to pay better wages but most companies and public services simply do not have the money. It is true that the UK has a problem with inequality of wealth distribution with too many on poor wages, but for everyone to demand wage increases in line with inflation is nonsensical. Apart from not being affordable, it would only lead to greater inflation.

Maybe the more extreme left are simply sensing that now is their time as years of Conservative rule have led to continued erosion of workers rights and failures to "level up" so that many dis-satisfied workers have had enough and are now more inclined to support them?

As for the war in Ukraine, along with other global events, it is certainly a key driver of the current situation-but it is also true that our problems have been compounded by self-inflicted damage caused by Tory policies.

You’re right in that some Conservative policies have made matters worse, especially the Liz Truss Destruction Derby! The worrying thing for me is that I don’t believe that we have a viable alternative; I just don’t think that Labour have the competencies that are required to run the country effectively, there is far too much political dogma involved and that goes for both sides. If there were to be a general election tomorrow, I don’t know who I would vote for; I didn’t vote Tory last time and I wouldn’t do so now, nor would I vote Labour. The LibDems have more or less sidelined themselves as a fringe, protest vote outfit. I should, of course, vote for the local candidate that will best represent my constituency but we all now seem to vote as if it were a presidential style vote.

Can't but agree-the polarisation in our politics is big problem. We seem to be given just two choices, both of which seem to be moving further away from the centre ground. I know there are drawbacks to it, but maybe proportional representation might be a better way forward? In the meantime Labour and Starmer need to clarify exactly what their plans are to try and help get us out of the current mess because I really don't know. Tactical voting so that you vote for A purely because you don't want B ( rather than because you really like A) is never a good thing.

These are difficult times for most people but all these strikes aren't helping anybody. All that they are doing is making it more difficult for all of us. The government can't give in to one group because all the rest will want the same treatment and the country can't afford it. I agree that a lot is politically motivated by the hard left.

That stupid f uckin bitch Suella says people should rethink their Xmas plans for going abroad! So many want to see families overseas or go as a family overseas so this f uckin idiot says to rethink! Maybe she should rethink her softly softly approach of all these dinghies arriving with illegals on them and send all the f uckers back to France!

Stupid stupid woman!

What else is she to say here though Al, isn't she acknowledging there will be significant delays at ports and airports rather than the head in the sand dept of health saying there's no shortage of penicillin when I know damn well there is. She can't bend to their demands or else the other striking industries will expect the same - snookered?

Anyone travelling at peak times has to factor in this type of nonsense.

It’s usually French air traffic control at major holiday times, this time it’s our lot.

People are hardly going to strike mid week in February when they can do so at the festive period and enjoy time off.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    What else is she to say here though Al, isn't she acknowledging there will be significant delays at ports and airports rather than the head in the sand dept of health saying there's no shortage of penicillin when I know damn well there is. She can't bend to their demands or else the other striking industries will expect the same - snookered?

I agree but it sucks telling people they may want to change their Xmas plans when there are family get togethers etc. The message people want to hear is dinghies will be stopped at all costs and those that enter are processed in Rwanda. We hear about the death of a migrant - sad but were they living in a 5 star hotel in France? How many of our old people are dying of hyperthermia but hey we hear about a migrant! That’s my point but many are told to change their Xmas plans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)