+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Agm

Agm

Any word on when the upcoming meeting is to be held? Could be very interesting given the lack of any word from the BoD to the supporters for months.

Usually January or February I think. No hiding behind Covid restrictions this time though.

Accounts received on January 12th this year with behind closed door AGM on 7th February.

As per my response in another thread, - I can't see any point in people relishing the annual squirm fest. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, the BOD are doing a sterling job against the odds; keeping the club full time and in the hunt for promotion, - certainly competing with Dunfermline and Falkirk who regularly get 4000 home attendances, - so in the big scheme of things what is the problem? Yes we could do to win more matches than we do, - but that is football for you, - like every other club, - we can't expect to win every game! Hopefully we can bring on board an experienced mid-fielder (in the January window) who can put a foot on the ball, - and for me a big 'keeper who commands his box, - as that would definitely place us in the hunt for a top 4 finish - if not top 2, - finishing under Dunfermline.

Furthermore, the Chairman has stressed that he would be happy to stand aside and let new blood come in, - but there are no takers. Can anyone reasonably explain why we should take pot shots at someone who wants to leave, - but is keeping the club afloat? It's like hanging over a cliff edge on a rope and taking a knife to it, - not wise.

However, - there may be sound reasons why we do want to cut that rope, - but unless there is a safety net (of further investment from elsewhere) then I for one suggest that we keep the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    As per my response in another thread, - I can't see any point in people relishing the annual squirm fest. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, the BOD are doing a sterling job against the odds; keeping the club full time and in the hunt for promotion, - certainly competing with Dunfermline and Falkirk who regularly get 4000 home attendances, - so in the big scheme of things what is the problem? Yes we could do to win more matches than we do, - but that is football for you, - like every other club, - we can't expect to win every game! Hopefully we can bring on board an experienced mid-fielder (in the January window) who can put a foot on the ball, - and for me a big 'keeper who commands his box, - as that would definitely place us in the hunt for a top 4 finish - if not top 2, - finishing under Dunfermline.

Furthermore, the Chairman has stressed that he would be happy to stand aside and let new blood come in, - but there are no takers. Can anyone reasonably explain why we should take pot shots at someone who wants to leave, - but is keeping the club afloat? It's like hanging over a cliff edge on a rope and taking a knife to it, - not wise.

However, - there may be sound reasons why we do want to cut that rope, - but unless there is a safety net (of further investment from elsewhere) then I for one suggest that we keep the status quo.
    I don't disagree with any of this Jardi but as a shareholder I am entitled to hear annually from the board and management with respect to the overall health of the club.

Absolutely Spike, - I am a shareholder too, - but we need to be mindful of the big picture (that we know of). There may well of course, - be another painting that we know nothing of!

Legitimate questions will always have their place, - but having a pot shot without any substance can be self defeating.

I'd rather see the AGM as an outlet for accepting the limitations of the club and asking legitimate questions like for example: how can the shareholders improve the financial situation? would the BOD accept new directors? If so, - how many, - and what sort of investment would be required? If there was a minimum amount of annual investment required, - (clutching at straws say £300K) could that be shared by up to 6 individuals (obviously meaning a £50K annual investment)? What about discussing the potential for fan representation? What amount of annual investment from a group would be appropriate to have a fan on the Board?

Rather than simply having a go at someone for the sake of it, - these would be exciting and legitimate questions which could prove highly illuminating (in more ways than one) but they may provide potential solutions for the club in terms of sharing the burden by the BOD and moving the club forward.

Clearly, - creating a larger BOD might make decisions more difficult to achieve, but a problem shared leads to far less stress, - and a time limit for Board meetings prevents protracted and unnecessary discussions.

These questions may be simply kicked into touch,- but they are a starter for ten.

I’m sure the BOD mentioned at the last AGM they’re expecting to lose a six figure sum in the next accounts figures.
    The profit last year was mainly down to the Lyndon Dykes sale plus add ons.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Absolutely Spike, - I am a shareholder too, - but we need to be mindful of the big picture (that we know of). There may well of course, - be another painting that we know nothing of!

Legitimate questions will always have their place, - but having a pot shot without any substance can be self defeating.

I'd rather see the AGM as an outlet for accepting the limitations of the club and asking legitimate questions like for example: how can the shareholders improve the financial situation? would the BOD accept new directors? If so, - how many, - and what sort of investment would be required? If there was a minimum amount of annual investment required, - (clutching at straws say £300K) could that be shared by up to 6 individuals (obviously meaning a £50K annual investment)? What about discussing the potential for fan representation? What amount of annual investment from a group would be appropriate to have a fan on the Board?

Rather than simply having a go at someone for the sake of it, - these would be exciting and legitimate questions which could prove highly illuminating (in more ways than one) but they may provide potential solutions for the club in terms of sharing the burden by the BOD and moving the club forward.

Clearly, - creating a larger BOD might make decisions more difficult to achieve, but a problem shared leads to far less stress, - and a time limit for Board meetings prevents protracted and unnecessary discussions.

These questions may be simply kicked into touch,- but they are a starter for ten.
    I may be wrong Jardi but did the Queens Trust attempt to get fan representation not get kicked into touch (wrong sport I know) - perhaps Joe Tulip could give us an update on that.

Evening, you are correct, but that was then and this is now. Since then we have had a Pandemic, a war in Europe and a cost of living crisis, all of which seriously impact on all sectors of society, including football clubs, hence why all of the above questions can be revisited, along with potentially countless others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    I may be wrong Jardi but did the Queens Trust attempt to get fan representation not get kicked into touch (wrong sport I know) - perhaps Joe Tulip could give us an update on that.
    The BOD have never had any time for the Trust and never will as long as Hewitson is in charge imo.
    I wonder what happened to them trying to buy some of David Rae’s shares off him ? Davie still ignoring any contact ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)