+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: January Transfer Window

Agreed MA, I always liked him as a player and at this level he's not much of a risk or liability if he can stay fit

On what basis rA? If he was up to the job then surely a club would have signed him by now? The fact he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) got a club suggests he isn't much good. For me he would be too much of a risk, not match fit, hasn't progressed for whatever reason, would leave well alone.

Much better trying to get in a couple of loans or if we can a player who is near the end of his contract and wants to come to derby.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    On what basis rA? If he was up to the job then surely a club would have signed him by now? The fact he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) got a club suggests he isn't much good. For me he would be too much of a risk, not match fit, hasn't progressed for whatever reason, would leave well alone.

Much better trying to get in a couple of loans or if we can a player who is near the end of his contract and wants to come to derby.
    On the basis that, until the knife attack in Toxteth (?), he was doing a good job for us at a higher level.
    He was a player I always admired and certainly the one I’d least like to have been tackled by which we probably need a little of in League One.
    Not sure how you’d know about his match fitness, I certainly don’t, but it’s something that can be sorted relatively easily anyway.
    You may be right about the loans but, imo, Wisdom would be worth a look. Genuinely surprised he seems to have been without a club since he left us and at ‘just’ 29...still a youngster by our standards.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    On the basis that, until the knife attack in Toxteth (?), he was doing a good job for us at a higher level.
    He was a player I always admired and certainly the one I’d least like to have been tackled by which we probably need a little of in League One.
    Not sure how you’d know about his match fitness, I certainly don’t, but it’s something that can be sorted relatively easily anyway.
    You may be right about the loans but, imo, Wisdom would be worth a look. Genuinely surprised he seems to have been without a club since he left us and at ‘just’ 29...still a youngster by our standards.
    It was in the Beaumont Street area of Toxteth. Stabbed in the legs/buttocks IIRC. That may well have affected his mobility. If it has he should sue the perp (if he was ever caught) for all he's got.

His lack of match fitness is obvious, he hasn't played a game all season! say we got him now, minimum 5- 6 weeks to get up to match fitness (thats not general fitness, he may well have kept himself fit) but even after summer break players need that pre season to get up to speed, he has hasn't played a competitive game since late spring 2021!!

So being optimistic, it would be say Mid to end of Feb before he was up and running as a fully functioning player.

He has it seems had trials at Birmingham and Portsmouth and there were rumours about Sheff Utd, but all failed to result in him being signed. The question therefore is why hasn't a club signed him?

How he performed for the club in 2020/21 is of little relevance in 2022, so for me not worth even considering.

His lack of match fitness is obvious, he hasn't played a game all season! say we got him now, minimum 5- 6 weeks to get up to match fitness (thats not general fitness, he may well have kept himself fit) but even after summer break players need that pre season to get up to speed, he has hasn't played a competitive game since late spring 2021!!

So being optimistic, it would be say Mid to end of Feb before he was up and running as a fully functioning player.

He has it seems had trials at Birmingham and Portsmouth and there were rumours about Sheff Utd, but all failed to result in him being signed. The question therefore is why hasn't a club signed him?

How he performed for the club in 2020/21 is of little relevance in 2022, so for me not worth even considering.
    We’ll have to disagree on this one Swale, which the ’funboy three’ will probably regard as me shooting you in the back.
    You may be right of course, which I would say wouldn’t I seeing as I’m clearly ‘intimidated’ by you (lol)? However, for me, his availability and fitness are definitely worth further consideration and investigation which is all I’m suggesting really.

We’ll have to disagree on this one Swale, which the ’funboy three’ will probably regard as me shooting you in the back.
    You may be right of course, which I would say wouldn’t I seeing as I’m clearly ‘intimidated’ by you (lol)? However, for me, his availability and fitness are definitely worth further consideration and investigation which is all I’m suggesting really.
    I can see why on past performances, but surely you would have to ask the question, its mid season 2022, and he last played a competitive game of football was at the end of the 20/21 season. Why despite trials with some clubs has he not being signed?

Of course for all we know, that investigation and consideration may already have been made. Hasn't this club been "burned" before with Jordan Ibe? 12 months wages wasted on a player who it seems wasn't playing, albeit he was with a club for a season, for good reason. The club can't afford that type of gamble at the moment.

I can see why on past performances, but surely you would have to ask the question, its mid season 2022, and he last played a competitive game of football was at the end of the 20/21 season. Why despite trials with some clubs has he not being signed?

Of course for all we know, that investigation and consideration may already have been made. Hasn't this club been "burned" before with Jordan Ibe? 12 months wages wasted on a player who it seems wasn't playing, albeit he was with a club for a season, for good reason. The club can't afford that type of gamble at the moment.
    Agreed...you absolutely have to ask those questions and you’re right...that ‘investigation and consideration’ may have already been made...but, as far as I know, Wisdom has little in common with Ibe who carried a whole raft of alleged personal issues when he returned.

It’s a mystery, to me, why a player of Wisdom’s calibre appears to have virtually disappeared but, potentially, he ticks many of the boxes we require and I suppose...in terms of returnees...for every Ibe there’s a Bobby Davison. We’ll see...for all I know he may have been training with a view to a return for weeks...then again there maybe something none of us know and he may, sadly, be finished.

It would be a shame if his career has finished, but not to underestimate the effect of the attack on him, if he didn't get a club at the beginning of this season I can't see it happening now.

Yes your right Ibe's issues where different, my point was we took a gamble on a player who had previously played well for us, but hadn't played much football for a season and that didn't work out and for me the same applies to Wisdom.

As always its a matter of opinion, given we don't know the ins and outs of these things.

I don't think Warne will look beyond what he or his contacts know in any case. Although to read the DET, one would think the only place he will look is Rotherham! I do think being football correspondent on the DET must be boring, having to think of stuff to write about on a daily basis!!

But we are in a much better place than we could perhaps have hoped for back in July!
    Last edited by swaledale; 23-12-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Some rumours floating around on possible transfers, as always its up to you as to how much credence you give them.

Curtis Nelson (Cardiff) centre back, not playing much contract ends this season.

Adam Idah, (Norwich) striker, loan deal

Darnell Fisher defender (Middlesboro)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)