+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Goat

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yes...Wanchope’s debut was truly iconic.
    Only claimed Ravanelli to be ‘overated’ not ‘hated’. To me he wasn’t a team player. It was all about him and he continued to cost us a fortune after he’d left.
    Best player or GOAT is a bit of a waste of time for the reasons MA has suggested.
    You can’t compare a striker with a keeper for instance...on the subject of which...Shilton is an interesting one. Capable of greatness undoubtedly but also flawed imo...personally I preferred Poom (for skill) and Martin Taylor (for attitude) and I very much doubt Shilts would have made it in the more modern game, let alone played for England, given his very limited ability with the ball at his feet.
    I think MA said hated... just checked, "least liked". He was just a bit weird for me, but you're right, we suffered from that purchase.
    Agree on the GOAT thing, though to keep it interesting, we could consider a GOAT to be a single player who had the most impact on a team. For example, we could say Dave McKay for his impact on the team, despite not being the most exciting or trickiest. It's on that same basis that I don't rate Messi or Ronaldo as GOATs, as they don't have that same impact on the team. Messi in particular, just plays for himself, and Portugal's performances were better without Ronaldo.
    I would give Martinez the player of the world cup award, for me he had more impact than any other individual.

He never played for Derby but as the role isn't identified in the acronym, I'd like to nominate Brian Clough as the GOAT as far as Derby is concerned... aided and abetted by Peter Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I think MA said hated... just checked, "least liked". He was just a bit weird for me, but you're right, we suffered from that purchase.
    Agree on the GOAT thing, though to keep it interesting, we could consider a GOAT to be a single player who had the most impact on a team. For example, we could say Dave McKay for his impact on the team, despite not being the most exciting or trickiest. It's on that same basis that I don't rate Messi or Ronaldo as GOATs, as they don't have that same impact on the team. Messi in particular, just plays for himself, and Portugal's performances were better without Ronaldo.
    I would give Martinez the player of the world cup award, for me he had more impact than any other individual.
    I never saw Mackay play for Derby...but I take your point and love the image of the man...uncompromising but honest, fair and tough as teak.
    Saw the likes of McFarland - although he was dreadfully injury prone - Hector, Hinton, Todd etc and they were all great players.
    MA mentioned Steve Powell who I know slightly. Maybe underrated...certainly under rewarded as a player who gave everything for Derby but has suffered, in terms of mobility, since.

Agree about Martinez as player of the tournament, although Mbappé might have challenged him had France won. Fine lines.

I think some of the nominations provided to date are excellent, whether it be the likes of Besty or Pele or Big Dave may I make a suggestion for the true and unrivalled greatest and one that I have had the pleasure to have seen.
    Considered to be the most complete CENTRE HALF since WW2 but who was also, remarkably but very accurately, described as being unmatched as the greatest CENTRE FORWARD to have graced the planet. How can one player achieve that without having an unbelievable level of ability? Well he had and he did.
    Considered to be a God and revered forever in Italy I give you that Welsh giant JOHN CHARLES!
    There is great and there is John Charles. Here was a player who was utterly brilliant and we go was a lovely man as well!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    I think some of the nominations provided to date are excellent, whether it be the likes of Besty or Pele or Big Dave may I make a suggestion for the true and unrivalled greatest and one that I have had the pleasure to have seen.
    Considered to be the most complete CENTRE HALF since WW2 but who was also, remarkably but very accurately, described as being unmatched as the greatest CENTRE FORWARD to have graced the planet. How can one player achieve that without having an unbelievable level of ability? Well he had and he did.
    Considered to be a God and revered forever in Italy I give you that Welsh giant JOHN CHARLES!
    There is great and there is John Charles. Here was a player who was utterly brilliant and we go was a lovely man as well!
    Great call...I think (!) and I did actually see him play...although I can’t actually remember.
    To explain...when I was somewhere between three and five my Dad took me - across the border - to watch Leeds (narrow escape there) specifically to watch John Charles - the ‘gentle giant’ - play.
    He told me later that we went because he thought JC was a player we’d ‘never see the like of again’. Seems he may have been right, and although I remember what I thought was my first visit to any sort of sports stadium - sometime later as a going on seven year old - as vividly as if it was yesterday, I regrettably have no memory of watching John Charles.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-12-2022 at 12:36 PM.

Any votes for Roy Race perhaps?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)