+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat

Goat

Just a little diversion for y'all, which came up in another thread?

Who's the greatest footballer of all time?

Personally I don't see the point in commenting based on reputations only, I'd only consider players I actually saw play, so my answer would be Eusebio (who I actually saw play) or Pele (if I include players I saw live on TV)

Here are some other categories you might wish to consider:

Best British player? George Best

Best English player? Tricky because I think Gascoine was too inconsistent. Peter Shilton

Best Derby player? Clouded by my love of Dave Mackay, but I'd say Roy MacFarland

Best forward line? Gotta be Best/Law/Charlton/Kidd/Morgan

Most 'on a different planet' when playing for Derby? Georgi Kinkladze (current role holder: David McGoldrick)

Best cameo for Derby? Paul McGrath, close second Bobby Davison (second spell)

Just a few ideas to get us debating in a friendly manner before Christmas

Best British ? Never saw Best play and not technically British. If we have to pick non English I'd say Giggs.

Best English player. Once again based on what I've seen, I'd say Beckham. Maybe not technically the best but his passion and ability to change the game..the free kick against Greece to qualify for the WC. Superb.

Best Derby player. I'd say kinky, we may not have got the best out of him but he was so talented and a pleasure to watch.

Best cameo for derby..tough but Leon osman was super in his loan. Special mention Kuqi, had Nigel signed you we might have gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Best British ? Never saw Best play and not technically British. If we have to pick non English I'd say Giggs.

Best English player. Once again based on what I've seen, I'd say Beckham. Maybe not technically the best but his passion and ability to change the game..the free kick against Greece to qualify for the WC. Superb.

Best Derby player. I'd say kinky, we may not have got the best out of him but he was so talented and a pleasure to watch.

Best cameo for derby..tough but Leon osman was super in his loan. Special mention Kuqi, had Nigel signed you we might have gone up.
    We all watched Kinkladze asolutely mesmerise Coventry in one game at PP, trouble was even the Derby players couldn't keep up with him, ended 0-0

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    We all watched Kinkladze asolutely mesmerise Coventry in one game at PP, trouble was even the Derby players couldn't keep up with him, ended 0-0
    We got him 2 seasons too late, Smith was on a downward spiral by then and he was too good.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    We got him 2 seasons too late, Smith was on a downward spiral by then and he was too good.
    still a pleasure, like McGoldrick is now

Best British player. Kenny Dalglish...not sure how Best wasn’t British, Sith...he was a Belfast boy.
    Best English player. Gordon Banks or Bobby Moore.
    Best Derby player. Igor Stimac, Kevin Hector or Francesco Baiano.
    Best Derby ‘cameo’ - if you mean abbreviated career - Leon Osman or Paul McGrath.
    Best Derby debut. Dean Saunders.
    Most on a different planet when playing for Derby. Claude Davis...but not in a good way and I wish he’d stayed there. More positively...Biaino again...pure brilliance at his best.
    Most underrated Derby player. Daryl Powell.
    Least liked Derby player. Paul Kitson.
    All just in my opinion.

"Best English player? Tricky because I think Gascoine was too inconsistent. Peter Shilton"

Well I guess that's the first time Tricky gets a vote ahead of Gazza. Come back TTR all is forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Best British player. Kenny Dalglish...not sure how Best wasn’t British, Sith...he was a Belfast boy.
    Best English player. Gordon Banks or Bobby Moore.
    Best Derby player. Igor Stimac, Kevin Hector or Francesco Baiano.
    Best Derby ‘cameo’ - if you mean abbreviated career - Leon Osman or Paul McGrath.
    Best Derby debut. Dean Saunders.
    Most on a different planet when playing for Derby. Claude Davis...but not in a good way and I wish he’d stayed there. More positively...Biaino again...pure brilliance at his best.
    Most underrated Derby player. Daryl Powell.
    Least liked Derby player. Paul Kitson.
    All just in my opinion.
    Of players seen live:

Best British player.... Liam Brady
    Best English player...Bryan Robson
    Best Derby player.... Colin Todd
    Best Derby ‘cameo’ - if you mean abbreviated career....Asa Asanovic
    Most underrated Derby player...Robin van Der Laan
    Least liked Derby player...Eddie Lewis

All time GOAT... No idea, none of the current 3: would any of them gotten past Roy Mac? Tough question though as I haven't seen enough world football to judge, so I'll say Ronaldinho just for class.
    Best English player: Shearer, think he only missed 1 penalty in his career... Messi take note!
    Best British player: Dave McKay, born winner.
    Best Derby player: My love of wingers makes that easy, Hinton.
    Best Derby cameo: Taribo West.
    Most on a different planet for Derby: Kinkladse without doubt, unfortunately the wrong time for us, but I've never seen anyone with the ball glued to their foot like with him.
    Least liked: Eddie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Of players seen live:

Best British player.... Liam Brady
    Best English player...Bryan Robson
    Best Derby player.... Colin Todd
    Best Derby ‘cameo’ - if you mean abbreviated career....Asa Asanovic
    Most underrated Derby player...Robin van Der Laan
    Least liked Derby player...Eddie Lewis
    Have to admit I share your enthusiasm for Robson, Todd and van Der Laan...in fact, if I could turn back time and choose one player I’ve seen play to lead Derby in their current situation it would be Robbie VdL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)