+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Guitarist ever

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    How could you? FFS.

It’s all so subjective, and there are usually the one-up merchants of cool who’ll find some **** playing in an obscure early 90s load of shoegaze dross to nominate.

Hubert Sumlin, Steve Cropper.
    Aye your/you're right. One Man's guitarist is another Man's ..inat. Do know the work of Steve Cropper some iconic tunes he's been involved in. There's another yank bluesman called Jimmy Herring who's quite fine he actually has a song called Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    The thing with these debates, is that it’s impossible to judge. I tend to instantly dismiss the opinions of folk that can actually play the guitar, as they tend to focus more on the work that goes into it, rather than the sound a tune makes. All musicians have a sh1t taste in music. You can’t really judge it on ability, as it comes to the point where it’s no longer guitar playing & more a circus act. A bit like the boys that are dynamite at keepy ups but can’t play football

When you strip it all back, the answer is Jonny Marr. Everyone is free to argue but you’re all wrong and you’d look a bit daft doing so

Aye point taken. As 57 say's its aw subjective, but disagree on Muso's being tone deef they are as objective about other folks music as anyone, I can tell you with certainty Paco de Lucia is a far more technically accomplished guitarist than the Guitar Wifie on Union St but to my ear the Wifie sounds better and I'm one of Aberdeen's top axemen, PS I do rate Mr Marr
    Last edited by stewarty27; 27-12-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Ability wise, the best guitar player I’ve probably seen was the German boy in that shopping mall boozer before the Hertha game. Yet if he was any good, he wouldn’t be playing to pished up Dandies in a shopping mall boozer

It’s a difficult call to make

If it was all about technical ability then it might as well be jazz.

I can understand other guitarists being impressed but in my opinion it has to be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    If it was all about technical ability then it might as well be jazz.

I can understand other guitarists being impressed but in my opinion it has to be entertaining.
    Mmmmmmm Nice !

Steve Rothery

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    Steve Rothery
    A blast from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    A blast from the past.
    Just voted Prog magazine's best guitarist 2022 in their reader's poll.
    Steve Hackett second.

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    Steve Rothery
    Good call. And Peter Trewavas up there with best prog bassist.

It's a tough choice. There are favourites and best. Your favourite isn't necessarily the best....or anywhere near. Then there are musical genres. Then styles of playing.

All very subjective and impossible to agree on!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast