+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Guitarist ever

Quote Originally Posted by DondyDan View Post
    Good call. And Peter Trewavas up there with best prog bassist.
    Yes, quiet unassuming Pete.
    Ian Mosley for president.

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    Yes, quiet unassuming Pete.
    Ian Mosley for president.
    Fish or Hogarth? Or can you separate the two eras?

Good call. And Peter Trewavas up there with best prog bassist.
    Talking Bassists I just can't see past Andy Fraser from Free, Mr Big indeed, Prog ? Greg Lake ELP, King Crimson and the guy Scott Thunes from Zappa's band is **** hot,

Fish or Hogarth? Or can you separate the two eras?
    Fish for the lyrics and energy.
    Hogarth era is more diverse (34 years worth) and a larger body of work to choose from.

Fish's own work is pretty damn good overall. However his voice has absolutely gone.
    Weltschmerz, his last studio album is a fine way to sign off and if you have ever had a family member succumb to dementia then this can break your heart:
    https://youtu.be/-RwwU8Nvs1g

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    Fish for the lyrics and energy.
    Hogarth era is more diverse (34 years worth) and a larger body of work to choose from.

Fish's own work is pretty damn good overall. However his voice has absolutely gone.
    Weltschmerz, his last studio album is a fine way to sign off and if you have ever had a family member succumb to dementia then this can break your heart:
    https://youtu.be/-RwwU8Nvs1g
    I love the Fish era and those 4 albums, still listen to them now. Must admit, after he left I had no interest. But winning over a fanbase and16 more albums merits huge respect.

I love the Fish era and those 4 albums, still listen to them now. Must admit, after he left I had no interest. But winning over a fanbase and16 more albums merits huge respect.
    I was a Marillion obsessive during the Fish era, saw them 11 times in total including 3 nights on the spin at The Wembley Arena.

When Fish left, I cut ties.....I never listened to any Hogarth era stuff (ken?) and couldn't ID a Hogarth era Marillion song.

Oddly, I never got particularly into Fish's post-Marillion work, I have a few of his solo records (including the outlandishly, and not at all pretentiously, entitled "Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors") but never got into it in a major way.

Fish bade in Keith for years when he worked for the Forestry Commission. He got the name (Derek Dick is hardly rock god nomenclature) since he came hame to his digs barkit every night and his landlady said she’d never kent onybody spend so much time in the bath.

He’s still good pals with the impressive squad of proggers that still bide in Banffshire’s Finest Settlement. He brought Marillion back to play at the Longmore Hall just as they were breaking through. Top boy, although I dinna ken him.

Someone mentioned ’genre’. It’s a false construct. I spend my writing life fechting the genre police.

Prog lost my interest when Tales From Topographic Oceans jumped the shark.

Bass players? Andy Fraser, Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Colin Hodgkinson, and the late Mikey Rae, although I am firmly of the belief that it is purely an accompanying instrument (fuuck off, Flea - buy a Telecaster).

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Fish bade in Keith for years when he worked for the Forestry Commission. He got the name (Derek Dick is hardly rock god nomenclature) since he came hame to his digs barkit every night and his landlady said she’d never kent onybody spend so much time in the bath.
    This I have read to be the truth.
    However, having sat beside him at a concert, he certainly loves to drink.
    Every single song ends, he's off to the bar and back for a bit of the next one. I mean every song.

I once ended up at the next table to Fish at a prawn-sandwich job at Easter Road.
    He was a fine boy.

Got the craic with Pat Stanton and Lawrie Reilly that day as well (1-0 Dodds or Windass.....canna mind fa).

Peerie Willie Hunter!? Anyone!? He was peerie (small) I believe due to being diminutive in stature, as far as I know!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast