+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next up - Rangers at Ibrox

Next up - Rangers at Ibrox

Motherwell end 2022 with trip to Ibrox on Wednesday. Ho Ho Ho - External Link

Today marks twenty years since we last recorded a league win over Rangers when a 19 year old James McFadden scored the winner.

I reckon if someone had said after that game that we would be sitting two decades on still looking for our next league win in this fixture then there would not have been a Motherwell fan who would have believed it. Had someone also said that our next win against them would have been in a relegation playoff against what was their ‘new club’ where we would win 6-1 on aggregate to consign them to another year in the lower leagues then it would have been even less believable.

I can’t see our dismal record in this fixture changing on Wednesday night unfortunately as we just don’t have the quality or the character required.

We've actually snatched a few draws at Ibrox recently but I think avoiding anything other than a thumping will be a pleasant surprise.

I normally disagree (with you and others) that character is a major issue with us rather than simple lack of ability but I differ with this squad/management team. Kelly and Van Veen have a bit of fight, perhaps Slattery a little, but that apart there's not one guy you'd want beside you in the metaphorical trenches or sadly all too real relegation battle. We're the definition of soft and spineless.

Revert to type and curl up and die are words that spring to mind ... be washing my hair that night !

That’s true and if we were to repeat that tomorrow night then we will be three in a row undefeated at Ibrox! When did that last happen?

The two visits before last season ended in 2-1 and 3-1 losses respectively and we led in both games before our bottle crashed. I wouldn’t be surprised if tomorrow night follows a similar pattern.

Every team that has taken something from “THEM” this season have all played from the first whistle to the last with a game plan and belief in all their players that they were capable of taking at least a point. Sadly that is not something that our team seems to possess, we appear to be more of a let’s hope something happens for us. After the result on Friday after being 2-0 up and playing against ten men our players should be bursting a gut to put things right tomorrow night, but IMO our guys will be happy to lose with just a narrow defeat, totally the wrong attitude in our current position

That's where I disagree you with you a lot...the 3-1 was nothing to do with bottle, we actually had a novel approach, carried it out to the letter and it almost worked against a superior side. If this team had the organisation, discipline, motivation etc to produce something like that, even in a losing effort, against a much better side, I'd have way more confidence for the next six months than I actually do.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)