+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What a surprise….. game time moved for Sheffield Weds

What a surprise….. game time moved for Sheffield Weds

Following discussions between Barnsley FC, South Yorkshire Police and Sheffield Wednesday FC, an agreement has been made to move the game currently scheduled for 3pm on Saturday 28 January, to Sunday 29 January at 1pm.

Lengthy discussions around ticketing have taken place over recent weeks to maximise the amount of people allowed to attend what is likely to be a highly anticipated fixture for both sides.

In order to achieve this and to satisfy all parties tasked with managing public safety, an agreement was struck to move the kick off to 1pm on Sunday 29 January.

Supporters are reminded that if either or both the Reds and Sheffield Wednesday progress in the Emirates FA Cup, this fixture will be rearranged for a later date due to the fourth round of the competition set to be played on the weekend of 28 January.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Tickets for this fixture have not yet gone on sale due to the anticipation of the Emirates FA Cup Round 3 results for both sides, to be played across Saturday 7 January and Sunday 8 January.

Further information on this fixture will be released in due course.

Usual crap innit. What if one of the teams progresses in the FA cup? This fixture will then have to be played midweek which gives folk who are that way inclined, mooar time in alehouse doesn't it? It'll also be dark forra midweeker.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Usual crap innit. What if one of the teams progresses in the FA cup? This fixture will then have to be played midweek which gives folk who are that way inclined, mooar time in alehouse doesn't it? It'll also be dark forra midweeker.
    What gets me is that the fixture in August was played on a Saturday with a 3pm ko under the very same police force and a higher crowd in attendance .

What's the difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    What gets me is that the fixture in August was played on a Saturday with a 3pm ko under the very same police force and a higher crowd in attendance .

What's the difference ?
    Been going on years hasn't it. 3pm at Hillsborough, 12.30/1pm at Oakwell. I don't remember many early kick offs at their place over the years

Pathetic.

Me thinking it’s because Sheffield U are at home. They are away to Reading !

Double bubble for Dibble?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

What's the difference ?
    I believe they do it simply to keep potentially 5 k away fans out of the town centre on a busy shopping day whilst our fans by & large keep out of Sheffield city centre on a saturday fixture thus easing any potential problem , by the way I do not agree with it , to me the match should be played at Oakwell at 3pm , I am just offering up my thoughts on why the police might want to move it & of course my theory could be completely wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    I believe they do it simply to keep potentially 5 k away fans out of the town centre on a busy shopping day whilst our fans by & large keep out of Sheffield city centre on a saturday fixture thus easing any potential problem , by the way I do not agree with it , to me the match should be played at Oakwell at 3pm , I am just offering up my thoughts on why the police might want to move it & of course my theory could be completely wrong !
    The game gets chosen by Sky with a Saturday evening 5.30pm ko and all of a sudden everything changes with regard to public order and potential trouble .

In fact the 5.30pm ko is actually more problematic because there's more drinking time available pre match .

This has actually happened three times if my memory serves me right , twice against wendy and once against Leeds United .

As I say along comes Sky tv and everything that prevents a 3pm ko suddenly becomes irrelevant .