+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One for the older Arabs

One for the older Arabs

Does anyone remember going on supporters buses in Wellington Streeet Dundee? late 50s early 60s there were 2 buses 1 for families and the other that went to pubs before the game.

I'm too young mate but my late father went on that bus and i think that's where the United supporters club was.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysanarab View Post
    Does anyone remember going on supporters buses in Wellington Streeet Dundee? late 50s early 60s there were 2 buses 1 for families and the other that went to pubs before the game.
    Dunno mate, Hooky and Neil Kidd were running buses from outside Tannadice when I started going away early 70’s

Thanks for that GB +AH...., was wondering what the oldest Arab is on this site?

Me and utd4me are 60, Im sure Gunboats the same. reading some of the comments in the past there has to be a few older arabs on here.
    Was on Hookie an Neils bus a few times, booked a seat at the wee hut between the Shed and the Cliff.

I'm sure it was one of Hookies coaches I was on for a trip to Ibrox in the seventies and the Rangers chunts panned most of the windows in. He contacted Rangers asking for compensation for the damage but not surprisingly, didn't receive any response. Met him in the Arctic Bar in the early nineties and found out that he gave up watching United as he preferred going to the junior matches (sure it was St Josephs). Some character and didn't lack bottle.

Going back to the OP,its very unlikely there was a family bus because it was an era of no motorways and very few women attending matches.I do remember my father saying it took forever to get from A to B on Scotland's roads at that time.

I know young boys would be sneaking into Tannadice and Dens but i doubt if many had money to attend away games.We keep hearing these stories of how millions live in poverty today but i think there was a lot less money being spent in the late 50's and early 60's compared to now and virtually no one would have a car.

Quote Originally Posted by DUFCstokie View Post
    I'm sure it was one of Hookies coaches I was on for a trip to Ibrox in the seventies and the Rangers chunts panned most of the windows in. He contacted Rangers asking for compensation for the damage but not surprisingly, didn't receive any response. Met him in the Arctic Bar in the early nineties and found out that he gave up watching United as he preferred going to the junior matches (sure it was St Josephs). Some character and didn't lack bottle.
    I have told this story before on here but i will never forget being on the only bus going to Tynecastle one Saturday and our back window was shattered in Princess St i think,a well known United fan jumped through the glass to attack the perpetrators!!!,i was probably about 11 and was shytting myself .

I will also never forget leaving the bus in sunny Airdrie and a massive guy with others come charging towards us,he was wielding a massive iron bar above his head,on another occasion i got trapped with one older fan by Hibs fans in an ambush after a game we were stuck in a chipper and they were waiting outside on HIM rather than me.

I honestly cannie remember how it all ended but i will never forget that he bought a glass bottle of orange then smashed it against the wall and held the remainder as his weapon of choice,aye they were the days!!!.

I can remember our bus window went through outside Hampden after the 4-1 replay defeat to the Huns. Also vaguely remember our back window getting put through on an away trip to Motherwell back around early eighties. We had some great songs on the buses back then, great memories!

My worst experience personally was whilst in the army in West Germany i got leave,after my flight to Luton i travelled by train to London then up to Dundee.We were playing Hibs at Easter RD so i decided after travelling all night i would stop off and attend the match,i put my large army suitcase in left luggage and i'm sure it ended 1-1 it was round about the early 80's.

After the game i was walking over that cobbled road bridge in the rain where i witnessed a United fan being attacked,i ran over to help him but slipped on the cobbles and received a boot in the face for my troubles.I will never forget my mothers face when i walked through the door sporting a cracking keeker which never cleared up till my leave was over.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)