+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pelé

Pelé

Greatest footballer of all time has passed away.

Yes, your Messi's and Ronaldo's couldn't shine his shoes. RIP

RIP.

Really sad news.

in the debate over Pele or Maradona, I'd aways go with Pele.

I remember Banks' impossible save from Pele's header in 1970 WC, Pele couldn't believe it and shook his hand. True sportsman.

I watched this 17 year old score two in the World Cup final against the home nation Sweden.He had scored Brazil's 3 goals in the semi final against France.I was in my 12th year and had never seen football like it.

In 1966 I watched him carried off the pitch after Portugal had kicked him black,blue and red on both legs from thigh to ankles.Yet he come back in 1970 to win his third World Cup.
    He is part of my football life.
    I also enjoyed my runs ashore in Santos when I was in the Merchant Navy,enough said about that.

Sad day. I thought he was immortal.

Modern game is different when you compare him with Messi and co but I guarantee with modernn diet, fitness, tactics, equipment, rules to protect attacking players Pele would have adapted to match or better any of them.

Messi has 7 Ballon Dors and M'Bappe will equal or better 3 WCs but this man was more than just a great player,.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    in the debate over Pele or Maradona, I'd aways go with Pele.
    That is just a no contest. Maradona wasn't fit to clean the muck off Pele's boots.

Pele without a doubt the greatest of all

Pat howard used to tell an amusing story about the time he TRIED to play against him
    / contain him

said he was by a country mile the best he'd ever bee been on the same field as.

Love Pélé. Rest in peace.

The Netflix documentary on him is really well crafted, by the way.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)