+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sack the board

Sack the board

I’m afraid enough is enough time for Grant and his cronies to walk the only way this club is going to change is from the top new blood required, new ideas required, new money required. The team has been dreadful for a number of years starved of real investment in the first team, which is there for all to see, a coaching team at the academy that are unable to get the graduates anywhere near first team ability but we promote them to the first team non the less oh and to make things worse the people who are failing to prepare them we make them manager and assistant manager of the first team ????? I don’t blame the management team I blame the board get rid of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I’m afraid enough is enough time for Grant and his cronies to walk the only way this club is going to change is from the top new blood required, new ideas required, new money required. The team has been dreadful for a number of years starved of real investment in the first team, which is there for all to see, a coaching team at the academy that are unable to get the graduates anywhere near first team ability but we promote them to the first team non the less oh and to make things worse the people who are failing to prepare them we make them manager and assistant manager of the first team ????? I don’t blame the management team I blame the board get rid of them all.
    There is no way you can advertise the managers job, get 54 applicants and then whittle that down to 4 a day or two later and then appoint the manager a couple of days later. That is no way a fair recruitment process with the Chairman then saying LB was head and shoulders above everyone else and asking the four applicants who they knew in the second string academy players. And so it could be twofold. LB was the cheapest and any outsider would have wanted his own assistant etc and that would have meant sacking some others and costing the club a load of money etc! I'm sorry it all racks of incompetence by the Board that should have insisted the Chairman carry out that task more diligently and professional. Anyway there was no need to appoint LB at that point and to see how the team plays even until the end of the season.

I have still not had a reply to my email on how much money does the Cat2 academy cost the club in pounds, shillings and pence! Are they trying to act stupidly or is that a natural reaction? OK its Christmas and they are all on holiday!...What qualifications did the Chairman have to get that job? Maybe there were no other applicants? Its difficult to see Board members contributing money on a regular basis as waiting for the next big transfer away? Who exactly is that player here? I too feel sorry for our two managers as they are great Crewe fans too but sometimes real experience is required to do that job.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 30-12-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Where exactly does the "new money" come from?
    It has been said that, "the destructive urge can be a creative urge". But sometimes it's just destruction for its own sake and other times because because it's an easy thing to demand when you have no responsibility for events.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    There is no way you can advertise the managers job, get 54 applicants and then whittle that down to 4 a day or two later and then appoint the manager a couple of days later. That is no way a fair recruitment process with the Chairman then saying LB was head and shoulders above everyone else and asking the four applicants who they knew in the second string academy players. And so it could be twofold. LB was the cheapest and any outsider would have wanted his own assistant etc and that would have meant sacking some others and costing the club a load of money etc! I'm sorry it all racks of incompetence by the Board that should have insisted the Chairman carry out that task more diligently and professional. Anyway there was no need to appoint LB at that point and to see how the team plays even until the end of the season.

I have still not had a reply to my email on how much money does the Cat2 academy cost the club in pounds, shillings and pence! Are they trying to act stupidly or is that a natural reaction? OK its Christmas and they are all on holiday!...What qualifications did the Chairman have to get that job? Maybe there were no other applicants? Its difficult to see Board members contributing money on a regular basis as waiting for the next big transfer away? Who exactly is that player here? I too feel sorry for our two managers as they are great Crewe fans too but sometimes real experience is required to do that job.
    Have you ever been involved in a recruitment process in the IT age?
    I have. It is very easy to interview 12 candidates in 3 days. That's only 4 a day. I used to do 6.

(The following is general and not a response)

I understand people are frustrated and want to point fingers. It's a psychological reality that this behaviour makes people feel better about themselves. However, in the long run, it doesn't help as it's only a diversion and doesn't actually lead to a positive outcome.
    Things are pretty **** at the moment: it's the middle of winter; we have a corrupt and inept government; the world is being choked by inaction on the environment AND the Alex have had a poor 2 years. It's only natural to get frustrated and angry. By all means scream and shout- I do. But don't pretend/assume that the outpouring of anger is part of a solution.

[QUOTE=gazan;40181423]Have you ever been involved in a recruitment process in the IT age?
    I have. It is very easy to interview 12 candidates in 3 days. That's only 4 a day. I used to do 6.

Yes, I have been both sides of the table for many interviews and had not much time for IT wallers!
    They are like drones that fly about aimlessly. . I was in charge of an engineering department and had the latest computer on my desk. It was never switched on!!

You really have to SEE what candidates are like to make a judgement. We have a failing business and the Chairman stuck to the same people that created it....Is that good or bad management skills?

[QUOTE=gazan;40181423]Have you ever been involved in a recruitment process in the IT age?

Yes, I have been both sides of the table for many interviews and had not much time for IT wallers!
    They are like drones that fly about aimlessly. . I was in charge of an engineering department and had the latest computer on my desk. It was never switched on!!

You really have to SEE what candidates are like to make a judgement. We have a failing business and the Chairman stuck to the same people that created it....Is that good or bad management skills?

I feel sorry for Alex and Lee but the reality of a results business means you really have to have the skills to do the job and in some ways, its unfair to ask them to do the manager's job without experience and why it can be detrimental to their well being.

I feel desperately sorry for Lee Bell, he has been thrown under the bus, that recruitment process was an insult to those that applied in good faith.

It could also damage Bells future career.

[QUOTE=MikeSB;40181492]
    Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Have you ever been involved in a recruitment process in the IT age?

I feel sorry for Alex and Lee but the reality of a results business means you really have to have the skills to do the job and in some ways, its unfair to ask them to do the manager's job without experience and why it can be detrimental to their well being.
    I think you'll find that a majority of interviews are done online, nowadays, by all companies across-the-board. You might not like it, possibly I'm not too keen on it but it's how it is and the point being that it's not an exercise restricted (by any stretch of the imagination) to just the Alex!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Harkin View Post
    I feel desperately sorry for Lee Bell, he has been thrown under the bus, that recruitment process was an insult to those that applied in good faith.

It could also damage Bells future career.
    I too feel really sorry for Lee Bell - he needs some 'wise words' in his ears (asap).

The club has a 'duty of care' to all of its staff.

[QUOTE=gazan;40181683]
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post

I think you'll find that a majority of interviews are done online, nowadays, by all companies across-the-board. You might not like it, possibly I'm not too keen on it but it's how it is and the point being that it's not an exercise restricted (by any stretch of the imagination) to just the Alex!
    If it was to recruit managers for business or industry I could do 10 interviews before lunch using the latest modern technology.

Would not do any online, not my style. Far too busy to do them face to face.

The fact is that in the UK and USA the standard of management is so poor the most efficient method is to stick their names in a hat and get my gorgeous secretary to pull one out of the hat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast