+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranmere

Tranmere

So no predictions but I would have predicted a significant defeat. So a nice pleasant result. Not a game of high quality but most of those in red made a good scrap of it. Arthur was immense. His save in the first half from that driven shot was spectacular in that a hard driven shot barely impacted on his outstretched hand.
    I also think Mc Donald had a great game. Surprisingly, Griffiths had a decent game and added a bit of bite in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    So no predictions but I would have predicted a significant defeat. So a nice pleasant result. Not a game of high quality but most of those in red made a good scrap of it. Arthur was immense. His save in the first half from that driven shot was spectacular in that a hard driven shot barely impacted on his outstretched hand.
    I also think Mc Donald had a great game. Surprisingly, Griffiths had a decent game and added a bit of bite in the middle.
    Agree on all that. I would add that no one had a poor game. A hard earned win and had it been a draw you couldn't really argue. Great goal and a decent game for Thomas at centre half. Defensively we got some great blocks in and it backs up the argument that we have been rather more difficult to beat this season. Our problem is we don't score enough goals and the January shopping list should have an experienced striker/goal scorer and a creative mid fielder.

Agree with the both of you. Summed up pretty well. McDonald was my MOM by a stretch, back to his best. Great to see Griffiths so passionate and vocal aswell. My impression was that he didn't give a toss, but obviously a wrong impression on today's showing and his little cameo the other night got him in the team today. A mention for Ageyi aswell he really kept their defence on its toes and you could see that they were worried by him.
    Did anybody here any rumours about any incoming or loan players going back? They only snippet I gleaned was when I overheard one of the directors saying that there had been no progress on bringing another striker in.

I thought Griffiths showed more than we'd ever had from him before, and perhaps why he's kept getting contracts. Real bite in the tackle and passion. If only we could score 2 - can Sambou even see the target?

Was Steve Davis there for a relaxing day off or maybe someone from Wolves' young players to come to us?

If Worrall's leaving the Vile (R Joke before the game) would he do a job for us? Maybe Brad Walker on the move too, but not what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Agree on all that. I would add that no one had a poor game. A hard earned win and had it been a draw you couldn't really argue. Great goal and a decent game for Thomas at centre half. Defensively we got some great blocks in and it backs up the argument that we have been rather more difficult to beat this season. Our problem is we don't score enough goals and the January shopping list should have an experienced striker/goal scorer and a creative mid fielder.
    Good to see the commitment given by all the players in this match. I thought the defence was outstanding against a side who were tricky to handle with their searching passing. Our goal was a brilliant block buster from some 25 yards and gave the goalkeeper no chance. A pity that the two breakaways by us in the last ten minutes of the game did not result in making the game safe as they should have done. They both resulted in woefully miss directed shots at goal. As another post says we could not really have argued with a draw with some of the chances that the opposition created. Hopefully January will see some good homework done in bringing in a proven goal scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    I thought Griffiths showed more than we'd ever had from him before, and perhaps why he's kept getting contracts. Real bite in the tackle and passion. If only we could score 2 - can Sambou even see the target?

Was Steve Davis there for a relaxing day off or maybe someone from Wolves' young players to come to us?

If Worrall's leaving the Vile (R Joke before the game) would he do a job for us? Maybe Brad Walker on the move too, but not what we need.
    Enjoyed the game today great to start the New Year with 3 points, follow it up with 3 more against the Wombles and thats a useful start.

On the subject of Worrall he is rumoured to be leaving Vale Park, he is a bit injury prone having a long standing hip problem that needs managing, apparently the Vale will let him go as a reward for his service and to get one last pay day, so I guess he would move to a club in the North West who have money, ( That counts Crewe out ) like Salford or Stockport so he can be closer to home.

Agree with what has already been said, don't care about how ugly it is - 3 points will do fine.

Can not remember who stated it earlier, but McDonald always seems to play better when not paired with Offord.

Ironically all 3 of our latest opponents have all played 'Non-league' fairly recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post

A real battling performance from every player in a Crewe shirt particular mentions for Arthur, McDonald, Thomas, Agyei and Griffiths who all had good games, Colkett’s goal was a great bit of skill. However the game was very low on quality from both sides which as a Crewe fan is very worrying. But non the less I will take the 3 points however we can get them and would settle for a similar performance and result this weekend against Wimbledon, I think another win would take the pressure off Bell and the team for a little while and maybe allow them to play with a little more freedom.

Also noticed that Kenny Lunt's 18 year old nephew was on the bench yesterday ...

so pleased to get a win. Wow we needed 3 points. Colketts goal was a cracker. As a team there was a slight improvement.

Thomas had a good game. Was superior to Offord is every aspect of his game. Partnered well with McDonald. For a change this gave him the opportunity to cover his own side of the pitch and he had an excellent game. Personally with Offord after he has completed his ban I would give him a rest. It was the solid part of our defence that gave the rest of the team a rare opportunity to play some football.

A cautionary note. Felt Tranmere were not anything special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast