+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half a season

Half a season

It’s the halfway stage and 19 points from 19 games. And a very uneven record to get us here. Generally I always felt 40 points would be enough to survive, however this season it’s so tight that could be playoff place

At the start of the season I was a happy Arab, good signings in the Aussies, McGrath, fletcher, and back then I even felt Jack Ross could be decent

Now after Alkmaar away and Celtic home the optimism has receded, and I’m back cherishing each point rather than thinking of European nights

Nonetheless there has been a lot of football to enjoy this season and when we’re performing well there’s real talent and good experience on show. I also think the quality of the rest of the league has improved as well, there’s not a lot between many of these teams

A happy new year would be a top six finish and a good cup run

Hope everyone’s season part two is a good one, on and off the park.

Quote Originally Posted by shed-buoy View Post
    It’s the halfway stage and 19 points from 19 games. And a very uneven record to get us here. Generally I always felt 40 points would be enough to survive, however this season it’s so tight that could be playoff place

At the start of the season I was a happy Arab, good signings in the Aussies, McGrath, fletcher, and back then I even felt Jack Ross could be decent

Now after Alkmaar away and Celtic home the optimism has receded, and I’m back cherishing each point rather than thinking of European nights

Nonetheless there has been a lot of football to enjoy this season and when we’re performing well there’s real talent and good experience on show. I also think the quality of the rest of the league has improved as well, there’s not a lot between many of these teams

A happy new year would be a top six finish and a good cup run

Hope everyone’s season part two is a good one, on and off the park.
    I disagree that the quality of the rest of the league had improved, its not,its stayed the same IMO. It's below average and has been for years. The fact that so many pish teams were above us not so long ago was the only reason I wasn't that bothered about being bottom and being relegated automatically because I felt we had a decent enough squad comparable with those above us to start picking up points. It's far from over and still a long way to go but I really don't think much of the teams above or below us apart from the obvious 2 and even Hearts didn't impress me much a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    I disagree that the quality of the rest of the league had improved, its not,its stayed the same IMO. It's below average and has been for years. The fact that so many pish teams were above us not so long ago was the only reason I wasn't that bothered about being bottom and being relegated automatically because I felt we had a decent enough squad comparable with those above us to start picking up points. It's far from over and still a long way to go but I really don't think much of the teams above or below us apart from the obvious 2 and even Hearts didn't impress me much a few weeks back.
    The Sheep Shaggers have come on a bundle,the break has done them a world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    The Sheep Shaggers have come on a bundle,the break has done them a world of good.
    I can happily support this post

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post

Yup, I never agreed with those who were saying we were struggling because the rest had got better, nonsense... We never got lucky last season either

I know it's still only half way but I don't think we are going down, tough games to follow and we aren't out the woods or anything but we should be targeting 4-6th from now and see where we end up

In the 'since Liam Fox took charge' table (from start of Sept) we'd be top 6 from his 14 games, 3 pts off 3rd, with a few having played 15 games

Goals scored in that time (*15 games played )

Celtic 42*
    Sevco 32*
    Hearts 25
    United 21
    Sheep 21*
    Fermers 20*
    Hibees 19*
    Motherwell 16
    St Mirren 15
    Livi 14
    Killie 14*
    County 11*

Goals conceded in that time (*15 games played )

United 15
    Celtic 16*
    Sevco 17*
    Livi 19
    Fermers 20*
    St Mirren 20
    Motherwell 22
    County 22
    Hearts 23
    Killie 23*
    Sheep 26*
    Hibees 27*

Which is good considering we've been to Ibrox and Celtic Park in the time plus the keepers being poor for a lot of the time

Plenty to be positive about now with no fear going into any game including Sunday, now all this assumes we don't have a poor transfer window

As someone who wanted Ross I very quickly changed my mind and said during his time he was the main problem, he tried to change too much too quickly by trying to play a formation regardless of the players. Quite possibly the only manager iv ever heard say you don't need defensive-minded midfielders when even the best teams in the world play with them. He was an absolute charlatan.

Fox has gone some way to fix it so far however this next run of games is quite brutal so we need to hang in there.

Still think the squad is imbalanced. Even tho we have started scoring I still feel we need some one who can consistently chip in with goals up top, still need a CDM and it would also be too risky to not bring in a new GK and let at least 1 of the current 2 go.

We have boys stealing a wage like Niskanen and Pawlett that ideally we can get off the wage bill.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    Quite possibly the only manager iv ever heard say you don't need defensive-minded midfielders when even the best teams in the world play with them.
    Absolute belter of a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Absolute belter of a comment.
    Yeah, Brasil, Real Madrid, and now Manchester United think so with Casemiro!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)