+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The good old Wigan dilemma... They were relegated the year they won the cup against Citeh. A rare double. I remember their fans bragging about winning the cup and "we'll soon be back". They haven't returned, but have bounced between 3rd and 2nd division since. So at the time they were happy to have won the Cup but I wonder if they still feel the same way. Also, financially, staying in the top flight is a no brainer of a choice and money means more prizes.
    Ha, I hadn't read you post when I replied to rA, well seems like I'm in the minority on here. I'd wager most Wigan fans are mighty glad they ahve at least won a trophy in their history! Those that were there will never forget it!

You'd think financially staying in the prem is a no brainer, but of course much depends upon how its handled, manage on a budget like Norwich or Burnley and yes it can be, though of course both have yo yo'd between the championship and the prem in recent times. But for others the prem and the money thats spent on wages and transfer fees often means the extra money is negligible.

I mean how much do you think Forest will make form their season in the prem? Or will they be left with debts and players on wages they can't afford?

Ultimately Wigan's bubble burst, they couldn't sustain in the prem and were unsustainable in the championship its happened to many a club, Leeds being a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Don't start on a football thread Swale
    I'm not starting anything, just pointing out that your statement is wrong under the premise of the thread, which is that either promotion or FA Cup is guaranteed.

I certainly can't see how under those circumstances its a zero sum - Derby's chances of promotion are much greater than winning the FA Cup under normal circumstances, I mean one only has to consider how many times Derby have been promoted or been in play off finals in recent decades as against the number of cup finals they have been in.

If you can't substantiate a statement you post and consider it "to be starting something" when I point out the obvious error, then I'm really not sure why your posting on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I'm not starting anything, just pointing out that your statement is wrong under the premise of the thread, which is that either promotion or FA Cup is guaranteed.

I certainly can't see how under those circumstances its a zero sum - Derby's chances of promotion are much greater than winning the FA Cup under normal circumstances, I mean one only has to consider how many times Derby have been promoted or been in play off finals in recent decades as against the number of cup finals they have been in.

If you can't substantiate a statement you post and consider it "to be starting something" when I point out the obvious error, then I'm really not sure why your posting on this forum.
    You aren't worth the effort Swale, its been refreshing around here without all the name calling and swearing and I don't want to set you off again

You aren't worth the effort Swale, its been refreshing around here without all the name calling and swearing and I don't want to set you off again
    Bit daft that, AF. No need for it. We’re arguing about fantasy stuff...guaranteed football outcomes and fairy godmothers...I tend to agree with you in terms of preference, but Swale is undeniably right that, for clubs in Derby’s position...play off success is infinitely more likely than FA Cup success.

As for the lack of name calling and swearing...perhaps the absence of a certain other poster has more to do with that. The atmosphere has certainly been more ‘relaxed’ of late and I can’t think of any other factor.

Either way, and yes...I know it’s not the FA Cup, but, after tonight’s Carabao results, I bet the majority of both Southampton and Forest fans would swap potential semi final and Wembley glory for Premier League survival.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 11-01-2023 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Bit daft that, AF. We’re arguing about fantasy stuff...guaranteed football outcomes and fairy godmothers...I tend to agree with you in terms of preference, but Swale is undeniably right that, for clubs in Derby’s position...play off success is infinitely more likely than FA Cup success.

As for the lack of name calling and swearing...perhaps the absence of a certain other poster has more to do with that. The atmosphere has certainly been more ‘relaxed’ of late.

Either way, and yes...I know it’s not the FA Cup, but, after tonight’s Carabao results, I bet the majority of both Southampton and Forest fans would swap potential semi final and Wembley glory for Premier League survival.
    So STILL after many years no words of admonishment directed at Swale? You really do earn your nickname rA

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Bit daft that, AF. No need for it. We’re arguing about fantasy stuff...guaranteed football outcomes and fairy godmothers...I tend to agree with you in terms of preference, but Swale is undeniably right that, for clubs in Derby’s position...play off success is infinitely more likely than FA Cup success.

As for the lack of name calling and swearing...perhaps the absence of a certain other poster has more to do with that. The atmosphere has certainly been more ‘relaxed’ of late and I can’t think of any other factor.

I have a couple of pals that support Southampton, their FA cup victory in 76 means a lot to them, and they fully expect to be relegated, so I'm not so sure about priority... I'll ask!
    Personally, my priority is winning in England, and I'd put winning the PL top, FA cup 2nd, League cup 3rd. I don't care about European success and I'm not too excited about promotions... I guess I expect the latter, so it's not so exciting. I see us as a mid Prem team in stature.

So STILL after many years no words of admonishment directed at Swale? You really do earn your nickname rA
    To quote your good self, AF, ‘you really aren’t worth the effort’. If you really can’t recognise the contradiction in what your suggest, how you behave and your clear failure to fulfil your role as ‘moderator’ then I won’t waste my time trying to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I have a couple of pals that support Southampton, their FA cup victory in 76 means a lot to them, and they fully expect to be relegated, so I'm not so sure about priority... I'll ask!
    Personally, my priority is winning in England, and I'd put winning the PL top, FA cup 2nd, League cup 3rd. I don't care about European success and I'm not too excited about promotions... I guess I expect the latter, so it's not so exciting. I see us as a mid Prem team in stature.
    Interesting RS. I wonder if we were genuine contenders for any of the ‘big prizes’ - as we were half a century or so ago - whether you’d have a different outlook.

I wonder, for instance, if Liverpool’s current wretched season would be completely salvaged by (unlikely) success in this season’s Champions’ League or if Man.City would swap everything this season for the Champions’ League/European Cup trophy which has continually eluded them.

Logically being champions of Europe would seem to be the pinnacle...although I think, for some inexplicable reason, I agree with you...that I suspect most fans would prefer to be domestic champions.

As regards seeing us as a ‘mid Prem team in stature’. I understand that, but surely the route to achieving that potential is via promotion which is why I’m choosing (idealistically) play off success over the FA Cup.

I suspect aspirations and preferences evolve over time, For example a Celtic fan, who for many successive years won domestic titles and cups, especially when Rangers were indisposed, might yearn for success in Europe above all else simply because domestic success has become the norm and so been downgraded.

Possibly the same for Citeh fans who may be getting bored with winning the PL (although sometimes there are challenges) and would rather win the Champions League in order to lay that one finally to rest.

For Stevenage, the off FA Cup giantkilling might be nice, even promotion to the 3rd divisiion, but there biggest wish might be to win the Papa John and play at Wembley

Exactly what have I done that merits admonishment? I've queried your statement and shown politely that it was in fact wrong, you could have acknowledged that and reiterated your preference for promotion. If one is unable to challenge incorrect statements made on here then debate is truly dead!

At no time was I aggressive or abusive, so you've brought that into the equation, as I said, not sure why you bother posting if you can't handle having the veracity of a statement you made being challenged.

rA and I have had a difference of opinion on this, no bother no aggro, just an exchange of posts and views, neither of us has got heated about it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)