+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Which would you choose?

Would love the levels of financing a Saudi/Emirates/Qatar takeover could bring but I wouldn't want OUR club to become part of the sportwashing process trying to validate the regimes. So, it's a no to Abu Dhabi County from me.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Would love the levels of financing a Saudi/Emirates/Qatar takeover could bring but I wouldn't want OUR club to become part of the sportwashing process trying to validate the regimes. So, it's a no to Abu Dhabi County from me.
    Agreed, although I was trying to keep the politics out of it , but seriously...without that level of financing (and it’s likely source) aren’t we just chasing the ‘dream’ of what Swale accurately describes as our club playing one of the ‘big 6/7’ on a more regular basis?

Maybe the answer is a serious salary cap. The richer clubs would still benefit obviously, but at least they wouldn’t be able to effectively buy up two squads while simultaneously preventing rivals from acquiring much needed talent which is rapidly turning football into a variation of Monopoly.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 14-01-2023 at 10:57 AM.

It is an interesting question, if the funds came from an ethical source, which begs the question is any billionaires wealth ethically sourced? But if as far as is possible one could be comfortable with the source of the money, then yes it would be welcomed by me.

It will be interesting to see how Wrexham prevail with the two Hollywood stars funding it, how long will that last?

There was rumours of a rich sheikh at one point at Derby. And i suspect that most Derby fans would have been happy to accept this and turn a blind eye if it brought success.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    It is an interesting question, if the funds came from an ethical source, which begs the question is any billionaires wealth ethically sourced? But if as far as is possible one could be comfortable with the source of the money, then yes it would be welcomed by me.

It will be interesting to see how Wrexham prevail with the two Hollywood stars funding it, how long will that last?
    To be fair they seem to be acting (no pun intended) with great dignity and seem to popular at Wrexham.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    There was rumours of a rich sheikh at one point at Derby. And i suspect that most Derby fans would have been happy to accept this and turn a blind eye if it brought success.
    I'm certain 98.5% of fans would overlook where the money came from if it made Derby a top 10 premier league team as it seems to have done with Newcastle!!

GP, without a doubt league status.

Without the money, you really can forget silverware.
    Yes its great to win a cup. But it is one day.
    One minute you're dancing at Wembley, the next game, you're away at Rov'rum in a new season.
    Everyone knows how hard/ how much/ how frustrating it is to get out that division.
    Off the telly/ papers/ forgotten elsewhere in the world.

It was refreshing to have people come up to me and talk about Forest again by folks from Ireland to Malaysia.
    Would that happen with an FA cup win? I doubt it very much.

Good job then, given the result this week....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Good job then, given the result this week....
    Whatever the results, all the big clubs treat the cups with contempt until the latter stages.

If they really want to give them credibility again, they need to offer European incentive for the winners.
    Until then, they will follow the money.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)