+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: RMT not winning

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Easily find what's paid in, quick Google search and my figs not far off.

COVID policy has changed people's attitude to work and pensions, think something like 32% now draw pension before normal scheme retirement age.

State pension age will change to 70 in next parliament......pretty convinced of it.

Majority (not all) of young folk are basically ****ed with little hope of owning a home or building up wealth.
    The rules were changed about ten years which allowed people to lift the whole of their pension fund when they reached 55 years of age if they wished to instead of commuting 25% of their pension as a lump sum when they retired.
    People were no longer required use their personal pension to purchase an annuity when they retired.
    I do not understand why younger people have to be continually ‘spoon fed’ regarding financial matters.
    When I was growing up both my parents and grandparents ‘drummed’ into me that I had to save up for my old age.

Id never go back.

The thought of team meetings, black history months, lgbtxyz week, pride floats, brain storming, people saying "literally" to punctuate every ****ing sentence, dealing with the clueless public and watching grown men play blow football in the branch forced fun Friday frivolity or heaven forbid have to watch another comic relief madness......no thanks.

Once yer oot....yer oot.
    Like you I would never go back to work.
    It must be dreadful having to attend Microsoft teams meetings instead of having ‘face to face’ staff meetings.
    During Covid we used to have Dee4life board of directors meetings held by Zoom. After the external directors were appointed they changed the board of directors meetings to being held by Microsoft teams which I did not particularly like but I was told that this was the way forward.

Regi

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    The rules were changed about ten years which allowed people to lift the whole of their pension fund when they reached 55 years of age if they wished to instead of commuting 25% of their pension as a lump sum when they retired.
    People were no longer required use their personal pension to purchase an annuity when they retired.
    I do not understand why younger people have to be continually ‘spoon fed’ regarding financial matters.
    When I was growing up both my parents and grandparents ‘drummed’ into me that I had to save up for my old age.
    Islay it's not taught at school.

How to be " kind an inclusive " is but not saving.

Investing is frowned upon by just about every main stream " money guru"........Martin Lewis will go into overdrive if he finds a savings account paying 0.1% more than normal rates but barely mentions investing without spitting contempt.

I'd give ( not me personally, I'd never give any bugger anything 😆 ) every 16 year old £3,000 that couldn't be touched till they are 30 and it had to be invested......not put in a stupid cash ISA.

Not advised by banks, advisers or anyone else, there own decision on where the money goes, get them interested, get them into switching, get them reviewing their own investments......I'm sure if they were given a few grand a large number would take an interest especially if they are turning 3k into 10 to 12k over 14 years.

Habit forming.

Investing is frowned upon by just about every main stream " money guru"........Martin Lewis will go into overdrive if he finds a savings account paying 0.1% more than normal rates but barely mentions investing without spitting contempt.

I'd give ( not me personally, I'd never give any bugger anything �� ) every 16 year old £3,000 that couldn't be touched till they are 30 and it had to be invested......not put in a stupid cash ISA.

Not advised by banks, advisers or anyone else, there own decision on where the money goes, get them interested, get them into switching, get them reviewing their own investments......I'm sure if they were given a few grand a large number would take an interest especially if they are turning 3k into 10 to 12k over 14 years.

Habit forming.
    My whole life's been do more, get better, learn, improve, earn more, invest the extra, make money. Only now have I started backing off because now my aim is to stop working ASAP. Youngsters just don't seem to want to do that, if it's not handed to them on a plate, they're generally not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    My whole life's been do more, get better, learn, improve, earn more, invest the extra, make money. Only now have I started backing off because now my aim is to stop working ASAP. Youngsters just don't seem to want to do that, if it's not handed to them on a plate, they're generally not interested.
    I agree to an extent.

But what I would say was things seemed within reach if you done all the things you say when I and you were adults

Now they must seem impossible to even those who do want to work hard

I like many others started as a yts, paid a mortgage at 14.75%, did 75 to 90 hours a week in my 30s and 40s, studied for a diploma that seemed impossible to obtain.......all to stop working as I hated it, the falseness of it, the greasy pole climbers, the two faced *******s, the organisations that would pretend to care but didn't.

But I cud see a way out to a much more pleasant life

Do the youngsters have the same opportunity ........I'm no sure Deeranged .... Does that mean anyone who has worked their *******s off lose what they have .....certainly not.

I think my idea though a small idea gives them a wee bit of hope.

We concentrate (especially in Scotland) to much on the feckless, and the children of the feckless it's futile.

I'd give ( not me personally, I'd never give any bugger anything �� ) every 16 year old £3,000 that couldn't be touched till they are 30 and it had to be invested......not put in a stupid cash ISA.

Habit forming.
    Gordon Brown when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer introduced the baby bonds which were supposed to encourage parents to save money for their children until they reached 18 years of age when they could access the money themselves. However some of projected increase in the amounts earned by the time they were 18 did not materialise.
    I remember when I was at primary school we were encouraged to open a savings account in the Dundee Savings Bank.
    I think that my parents had opened a savings account in the Dundee Savings Bank shortly after I was born.
    Nowadays what exactly do children get taught at school.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Children nowadays seem to have to be spoon fed and they do not appear to want to do things by themselves.
    A lot of children get driven to school by their parents instead of getting their own way there.
    The only time I got driven to school when I was at the Morgan was if we had slept in and I had missed my bus to get to the Morgan by 9am.

I think my idea though a small idea gives them a wee bit of hope.

We concentrate (especially in Scotland) to much on the feckless, and the children of the feckless it's futile.
    I think the reason for concentrating on the feckless is because if you can turn one feckless school kid into a responsible member of society you take succeeding generations out of the system. I think kids need to be helped by their parents. That help was more available when we were growing up because education in all its forms, academic and practical, was much more appreciated. The changes in our economy when industry lost its way , in large measure because of the riches of North Sea oil, encouraged the change from a manufacturing economy to a service based economy. Maybe you don't all remember the value of an oil backed £ which made it cheaper to buy finished goods rather than buy the materials and make them ourselves.

The trades unions at the time were guys like Arthur Scargill and Red Robbo, and it seems to me that the current union leadership is making the same mistake by fighting the real issue of cost of living, with the wrong approach. They seem to think that getting rid of a Conservative government that is borrowing record amounts to keep the country afloat and replacing it with a left of centre government will fix things.

I don't think that type of replacement will make any difference to the problems we face. Tony Blair led a left of centre government. By bringing loads of skilled immigrants he consigned, unintentionally, at least one generation to a workless existence. Benefits that kept the workless going during what was thought to be a temporary crisis expanded into a lifestyle choice.

Teaching kids that working hard should be a lifetime habit, seems to me to be completely missing today in some sections of society. Rich people, media people and other experts talk about the importance of work/life balance. I think the message should be to encourage the work ethic, as described by Deeranged and Rross.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I think the reason for concentrating on the feckless is because if you can turn one feckless school kid into a responsible member of society you take succeeding generations out of the system. I think kids need to be helped by their parents. That help was more available when we were growing up because education in all its forms, academic and practical, was much more appreciated. The changes in our economy when industry lost its way , in large measure because of the riches of North Sea oil, encouraged the change from a manufacturing economy to a service based economy. Maybe you don't all remember the value of an oil backed £ which made it cheaper to buy finished goods rather than buy the materials and make them ourselves.

The trades unions at the time were guys like Arthur Scargill and Red Robbo, and it seems to me that the current union leadership is making the same mistake by fighting the real issue of cost of living, with the wrong approach. They seem to think that getting rid of a Conservative government that is borrowing record amounts to keep the country afloat and replacing it with a left of centre government will fix things.

I don't think that type of replacement will make any difference to the problems we face. Tony Blair led a left of centre government. By bringing loads of skilled immigrants he consigned, unintentionally, at least one generation to a workless existence. Benefits that kept the workless going during what was thought to be a temporary crisis expanded into a lifestyle choice.

Teaching kids that working hard should be a lifetime habit, seems to me to be completely missing today in some sections of society. Rich people, media people and other experts talk about the importance of work/life balance. I think the message should be to encourage the work ethic, as described by Deeranged and Rross.
    Concentrating on the feckless has got us nowhere since the late 60s.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)