+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor.

Not once did I ever say calling someone useless is constructive criticism, you may need to read through my post and point out where that's said. I've actually commented to the contrary where I've said that I don't shout abuse and would never go overboard on here with abuse, not in my nature and never will be, so kindly think before commenting. What I will reiterate however is criticism is part of life, particularly in football. Yes, it should come from their manager however since time immemorial, fans have had their opinion, rightly and mostly wrongly on how the game should be played. To confirm, I DON'T condone anyone being called useless or taking abuse bordering on criminal.

Jardi, you're correct, I would say we are on the same page, however I'm not sure if you're trying to shut me down by advising not to deliberate any further. I am not part of any problem here, I cannot stand folk that hurl abuse at games

"Jardi, you're correct, I would say we are on the same page, however I'm not sure if you're trying to shut me down by advising not to deliberate any further. I am not part of any problem here, I cannot stand folk that hurl abuse at games"

Not in any shape or form, am I trying to shut you or anyone down; I merely stated that when Louisiv said: "do you honestly think calling someone useless is constructive criticism" I suggested there was no need for deliberation, in effect Louisiv summed it up perfectly.

The problem in society as a whole is the unconscious bias that we have grown up with and the conditioning that it's OK to belittle players and referees, without batting an eyelid, - or thinking for one moment that our comments might be damaging.

Its time for a wee re-think when it comes to being critical on line and at games and maybe couching the language in less offensive terms. For example, - rather than simply stating that the players are "useless" which is a pretty derogatory, all encompassing term, - we need to be more constructive: perhaps suggesting working on overall fitness levels; shooting practice; set pieces or whatever, - which no-one could grumble at, - but which may help direct the team to the goal we all want, - which is performing better on the park.

This issue will not be resolved overnight, - but planting the seed now and accepting that we maybe do (all of us) expect too much from the team we support, - and when things don't go according to our personal assessment, - we tend to be over critical.

We're all human, and players (probably more than most realise) are susceptible to hyper critical remarks, and they may well fear making mistakes because of the abuse they will receive.

I wouldn't say he's summed it up perfectly as perfection in this instance is subjective. He's thrown an accusation unfairly my way which some would say could affect another's MH as that's where we're at.

I'm against all forms of abuse or accusatory posts, etc but that's what you're going to get on forums of this type

Quote Originally Posted by Threefivetwo View Post
    I wouldn't say he's summed it up perfectly as perfection in this instance is subjective. He's thrown an accusation unfairly my way which some would say could affect another's MH as that's where we're at.

I'm against all forms of abuse or accusatory posts, etc but that's what you're going to get on forums of this type
    I didn’t intend this to be directed at you threefivetwo and your post was indeed reasonable. Apologies for any offence caused. I perhaps should have said “can one really consider calling anyone useless”. Either way my post was clumsy but was inspired by what I thought was the thread title, not anything in your post. Wasn’t it originally titled ‘Useless’ or am I going mad? Anyway, I agree that constructive criticism is fair game, but some of the comments directed at individuals on here are way over the top. I dread to think what impact these could have, especially on younger players.

Ha! I now see that it was another thread that was titled useless, and in anticipation of replies, I’m aware that the word wasn’t directed at any specific individual, rather a lament re another poor performance. Such is life as a Queens fan I guess. I stand by my point, though, regarding some of the OTT criticisms of players I’ve read on here.

None taken mate, all the best. Agree with what you say

Quote Originally Posted by Threefivetwo View Post
    None taken mate, all the best. Agree with what you say
    Cheers.

Il go back to nobby clark when he took over he stuttered till end of season in 84/85 look what happened following season I believe big marv can do similar nobby took the pars to the wire in 85/86 season marv needs that chance I reckon he could become a legend like nobby .

It's not like me to see a positive these days but big marv has made 2 decent additions sofar and hopefully 1 or 2 more in this window and he seems to have a good eye for where he needs to strengthen he has the hunger aswell .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    Il go back to nobby clark when he took over he stuttered till end of season in 84/85 look what happened following season I believe big marv can do similar nobby took the pars to the wire in 85/86 season marv needs that chance I reckon he could become a legend like nobby .
    Here’s hoping Francis…

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)