+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haw Frank..

Haw Frank..

How yer doing? Hope that you are keeping well,been to any games lately?

Chalky

All well, and you? I notice County are top, that must be satisfying. Having said that its only the conference, united will be playing county next year.

No i dont miss going to United and have no intention of ever going again. Football is a results service now, plus a visit to Wisbech now and again, i dont watch it on tv now, i only dipped into the world cup final.
    The football i understand has gone, its just money now, its not sport.

Its corrupt, more now than ever. I trust coco is well.

Yeah County are top but not for long because Wrexham have games in hand over us and will take the top spot when games played are equal

You should go down to more games even if it's not Utd,you've got football in your blood and to watch a game with a half time pie n pint will do you good,where are Wisbech in the league now anyhow?

Coco is fine but missing sitting by the Trent getting fussed by passerbys,last year we had to stop going down because of the bird flu and all domestic and cage birds had to kept indoors,everyone in Nottingham had a letter through the post telling us to keep birds indoors but fingers crossed for this year

Havent County got a game against Wrexham yet to come? The bird flu thing is bad, i have a thing about sparrows. If i ever make it into the realms of higher spheres i will be the patron saint of sparrows, or at least apply for the job. I doubt if there will be many applicants.

Wisbech are in the lower half of the United Counties league having had a dreadful run, but results are now improving, the manager said it would take until christmas. I have been foillowing the league, it has a website.

Rugby dissapered a long time ago, they are in there with a big ground and gates up to 400. Rugby were in the southern league for countless years. Dave Kodolynski still plays for them, he left Cambridge City about two decades ago, amazing.

Histon are in there, getting gates of about 200 and in mid table sarf.

Ive been meaning to go to March Town United which is next to Wisbech, apparently they have the oldest still used stand in the country, built in 1877 or something like that, might go saturday they are at home. Take a look at the stand its on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Havent County got a game against Wrexham yet to come? The bird flu thing is bad, i have a thing about sparrows. If i ever make it into the realms of higher spheres i will be the patron saint of sparrows, or at least apply for the job. I doubt if there will be many applicants.

Ive been meaning to go to March Town United which is next to Wisbech, apparently they have the oldest still used stand in the country, built in 1877 or something like that, might go saturday they are at home. Take a look at the stand its on the internet.
    When I was a kid there would be loads of sparrows in our back garden but you don't seem to see them so much now for some reason,I put out scrapes of food out and wait for the birds to come and take it,never see sparrows mainly crows,seagulls,wagtails or Magpies which are the most fearless as they just drop down to the food where as the others are more cautious,when I sit by the Trent there's loads of Terns diving in the water for food as well a family of egrets,comarants,herons and kingfishers which dart past at lightning speed,I get a lot of pleasure just sitting there watching them

I thought that Mansfield had the oldest stand in England,im not saying that you are wrong or I am right but I can remember a Stags fan mentioning it once,of course he would have been bullshi.tting I will have to have a look,I once went to March and it's a lovely place from memory but then again you are spoilt for choice in The Fens,I should visit the area it more often than I have,maybe it's one for the future as it's always nice to go somewhere new

We play Wrexham in April (I think) away and whoever wins that will go up automatically, hopefully I will be there but tickets will be in high demand and season ticket holders will get first dibs on that,this Saturday we are away to Chesterfield who sit third so a win over them could be useful but they are on a bit of a good run lately

Take that trip to March Town on Saturday Frank if it's nice,make a day of it as I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself

Ive looked it up, theres a groundhopper that posted a picture of the stand in 2013. His report said that the club planned to knock it down the following year, it was 93 years old in 2013. It wont be there any more.

Oh well. Apparently it had many sight obstructions and was fif**** yards from the pitch. March is nice, a bit sleepy though, at our age thats perfect. I remember a very old derelict stand at Mansfield when United played there 30 years ago, or something like that.

County are going up!!!

Did you manage to get to watch March Town FC on Saturday Frank?
    I wouldn't blame you if you didn't as it was a bloody cold day,can't be bothered with cold Tuesday night games anymore,surly a sign of getting old?

No, it was far too cold, i will go when things warm up. There was an article in the Fenland citizen some weeks ago about March and Wisbech in the UCL in the forties and fifties, reminiscing about such.

Gates were about 4,000 at March and 2,500 at Wisbech, and get this, supporter trains were needed. I was shocked and delighted, you got trains for football league games not UCL.

It shows that whatever world you are born into, there are other worlds existences, above and below, that your view of anything in life is limited by what you can see, not what is.

Like Wisbech having its own train system, with tracks and trains going up the main street and into the fens collecting produce, in the distant past. If my memory serves, it ended in the 1950s.

Wisbech station has gone, but there is planning for another, im sure Wisbech will boom when that comes.

Aye wait until it warms up Frank,there's no fun in standing there shivering with a freezing cold drink in your hand and the burgers cold before you get to eat it

I remember as a kid playing in Daybrook railway station which got closed by Beecham in the early 60's,I wish that I could revisit that station knowing what I know now as I would take more interest in the pillboxes that was at each end of the yards,I had no idea that they was WW2 defences until years later,we used to shelter in there when it chucked it down with rain,the station was used storage until the early 70's when it demolished to make way for a B+Q,you can still walk down the tracks if you know what to look for,the bridge that took the tracks over Mansfield Rd has gone also the house that was next to it and the sweet shop that was run by two oaps,I would pay good money to spend a few hours back there in the late 60's,how about you Frank,would you go back and revisit your old haunts for a few hours if you could?

Thats a good question. Being of an age now it would bring back bad things as well as good. If only i could whisper in that lads ear. We used to haunt cambridge station with my train numbers book, london, bedford, sandy, sandy was good, it had sand hills that you could jump off as high as you could and land in sand sloping downwards, you were free floating for a good while, and not get hurt. And it was on the east coast mainline.

Thinking about it, no, i dont think its healthy, life is meant to be lived forwards. Getting train numbers on the east coast mainline was exciting, deltics, and other diesels i cant remember the name of, Pulmans, and loads of others.

Standing on Sandy station there was the myth, or is it?, that if you stood too close to a deltic hammering through at a 100 mile an hour you would get sucked into the engine.

We always stood back. I look on trainspotting now like you would see a child playing with toys, and i must admit that football now is a bit like that, pointless, interminable, going nowhere. Having said that, that is life, whether you are a prince or a pauper it makes no difference.

Everything comes and goes, maybe there will be another Sandy for me in this life, lets hope, cant think what it may be though. Got the tshirt on everything.

What do you hope for yourself in your closing years chalky?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)