+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke Offord

Thomas has certainly gone off the boil in his CDM role (though his cameo as a CH was quite eye-catching). His passing has become really poor so maybe it's worth trying but maybe not THIS weekend!
    Otherwise a back 5 would be an option. Uwakwe was signed as a LWB/winger so maybe it would suit him too though Adebisi is good going forward and would suit that line-up.
    However it would mean someone misses out, possibly midfield. We need some extra attacking intent from midfield so could we play Ainley AND Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Thomas has certainly gone off the boil in his CDM role (though his cameo as a CH was quite eye-catching). His passing has become really poor so maybe it's worth trying but maybe not THIS weekend!
    Otherwise a back 5 would be an option. Uwakwe was signed as a LWB/winger so maybe it would suit him too though Adebisi is good going forward and would suit that line-up.
    However it would mean someone misses out, possibly midfield. We need some extra attacking intent from midfield so could we play Ainley AND Brook.
    Not sure if playing 5 at the back impacts negatively on our ability to create chances, arguably we lose a midfielder in that formation although I guess it could be argued that we might have an extra one with the wing backs pushing forward. Mike is not right about very much but he is correct in that we have had difficulty scoring this season. That said if we do as he suggests and do away with all defensive players we could find ourselves getting a few pastings!

SA why not say openly that it is Lukcour who strongly disagrees. Offord our best player of the season, wow what games have you been watching. He is a dreadful CB. Statistics will show you that any times Offord has partnered McDonald we have very rarely won. In recent games when McDonald has been partnered with Thomas or O`Riordian defensively we have been a far better team. During the period that Offord was banned we have not lost a game. No he should not return. Why break up a winning team. Personally I would give him a short break from the 1st team. I would suggest to the end of May.

Have to agree with Mike, for a captain his temperament is so weak

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    SA why not say openly that it is Lukcour who strongly disagrees. Offord our best player of the season, wow what games have you been watching. He is a dreadful CB. Statistics will show you that any times Offord has partnered McDonald we have very rarely won. In recent games when McDonald has been partnered with Thomas or O`Riordian defensively we have been a far better team. During the period that Offord was banned we have not lost a game. No he should not return. Why break up a winning team. Personally I would give him a short break from the 1st team. I would suggest to the end of May.

Have to agree with Mike, for a captain his temperament is so weak
    Two positive comments will keep me smiling and singing until July!

No, attack is the best form of defence and I don't mind getting a pasting providing we can provide them as well. To me its pretty damming on a game of football if all we see in most games across all leagues is possibly one or two direct shots at goal. One shot in 45 minutes should get the game done away with. I was looking again at the highlights to see 17 players within a 5 yard spell ie most of our team and a few of the other side. And they call all this coaching? Please do me a favour and LB could start a revolution by trying to get 4 strikers in the team and try that for a while. The only problem is where to get them from at what cost as most players have no idea how to carry the ball and attack the opposition. George Best knew how and so did many others but the problem is actually coaching players to pass the ball continually and strange that we gained 4 points in two games by a direct shot on goal from outside the pen area and show LB is actually being guided by my suggestions on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Not sure if playing 5 at the back impacts negatively on our ability to create chances, arguably we lose a midfielder in that formation although I guess it could be argued that we might have an extra one with the wing backs pushing forward. Mike is not right about very much but he is correct in that we have had difficulty scoring this season. That said if we do as he suggests and do away with all defensive players we could find ourselves getting a few pastings!
    The main advantage of a 5 is that it does allow the WBs to get forward and change the angle of attack. Not only that but them getting forward should bring some of the midfield forward too. The main problem for the Alex this season is not getting enough players forward to pressure opposition defences. Only by getting more players forward can the attention on our strikers be relieved. Even with 433 our midfield tends to stay deep so maybe a 5 is the answer.
    P.S. Centre halves, like goalkeepers are not solely responsible for goals conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    The main advantage of a 5 is that it does allow the WBs to get forward and change the angle of attack. Not only that but them getting forward should bring some of the midfield forward too. The main problem for the Alex this season is not getting enough players forward to pressure opposition defences. Only by getting more players forward can the attention on our strikers be relieved. Even with 433 our midfield tends to stay deep so maybe a 5 is the answer.
    P.S. Centre halves, like goalkeepers are not solely responsible for goals conceded.
    If we were to go with a back 5 would Rio get the nod over Uwakwe? Rio is getting back to somewhere near the level he was at before his long term injury so for me would start.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    If we were to go with a back 5 would Rio get the nod over Uwakwe? Rio is getting back to somewhere near the level he was at before his long term injury so for me would start.
    Not sure you will realise it but what is being suggested is to move back to how football should be played, ie to get players up the pitch to start threatening the goal and spending most of the time in midfield or further back cannot do that. ie why the game was invented so to speak with 5 forwards..

People may not like to hear or read the reason but it has to do with academies and coaching by numbers. ie individual skills are constrained because coaching is telling players to pass pass pass the ball as coaches cannot teach natural ability and so they exist solely on the basis of incompetence really and why our method of promoting kids coaches as managers will always fail. PL clubs are paying vast sumes of money out eg 70m for individual players which will always reduce the academy kids from coming through unless they actually stop doing what the coaches are telling them. Nobody could teach George Best, Greaves, Charlton, even our late Frank Lord how to play this game. Rodney Jack had superb individual skills as did Nick Powell and coaching by instruction to pass the ball has led to the game being non exciting for the fans that used to love seeing players taking on defences etc.

Academies and coaching hisses people off on this board but the reality is, its the whole reason why we are a failing team as we spend more on the academy than any other club at our level and the BoD should act and think what football is supposed to be about...

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    Let's have a proper discussion without going off thread.
    Fat chance lol! You tried!

What I mean is when you have a football system where you only have one striker and then try and bring him into the game you will fail as the defence is tops and why all the play is midfield as they have nobody to give the ball to only others around them. Its actaully a failing model that worked at the time with the First Division but never worked anywhere else. Football clubs are like house builders. They see one design and then everyone else copies it to the loss of flair and design for those that buy them.

In reply to WBW..

You may try and learn about football my friend! Then you will see the errors of your thinking. Football forums are a multitude of views, so please get used to the human race. It will do you good, really!

One liners are for coaches....are you one?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 17-01-2023 at 12:30 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast