+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke Offord

Luke Offord

Let's have a proper discussion without going off thread. Back after a 3 game ban. I have watched all the home games and a limited amount of away games and would consider him in contention for player of the season so far. Do we bring him straight back into the team? Who drops out? Do we play a back 5? Could he play the Thomas midfield role? Do we bench him?
    I have watched him this season and thought that at times he has been magnificent but statistically with results in the games that he has played this may not stack up to points won.
    An interesting conundrum for the management and could even be influenced by our inform opposition on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    Let's have a proper discussion without going off thread. Back after a 3 game ban. I have watched all the home games and a limited amount of away games and would consider him in contention for player of the season so far. Do we bring him straight back into the team? Who drops out? Do we play a back 5? Could he play the Thomas midfield role? Do we bench him?
    I have watched him this season and thought that at times he has been magnificent but statistically with results in the games that he has played this may not stack up to points won.
    An interesting conundrum for the management and could even be influenced by our inform opposition on Saturday.
    Back 5 for me. When we signed Uwakwe he was brought in as a wing back and there is little doubt that Mellor can fulfil that role on the right. It is difficult to leave Offord out as he has been by far our best player all season (in spite of MacDonald being nominated for MOTM every week) and his reading of the game compensates for his lack of pace

I suggest that us being 17th in the bottom league should mean the whole team getting transferred after last season's pathetic results and good old Dave should have been shown the door many months before he did. I don't think he has come back into football management yet?

You know in the old days, very few players recieved a warning and a sending off and shows the bad tempered players in the game now. I think that Bobby Charlton never ever received a warning ever with a number of better players then that we have around the pitch today. A club captain has no business getting cards and sendings off. Leave him out of the team is my suggestion.

Great thread - was thinking exactly the same thing.

My gut reaction is that he would make a brilliant CDM, playing in front of the back line.

Think Lee may well opt for a back 3 to incorporate him into the team.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Great thread - was thinking exactly the same thing.

My gut reaction is that he would make a brilliant CDM, playing in front of the back line.

Think Lee may well opt for a back 3 to incorporate him into the team.
    He'll be back as we have the usual inexperienced managers in place, following the previous four..

We also do NOT want any 'defensive' players in the side and why we can't score a goal for toffee..

We need 10 attacking players who need telling, not coaching or training but to get out on the pitch and run like hell for goal! I give one example of the so called past it 'old days'. The Spurs team of the early 1960's who were called the cut and run team who did exactly as I said. When the whole team moved forward when attacking not passing back or sideways like they are presumed to be taught now. They won the league and FA cup with that single policy and not an academy player in sight, just footballers who KNEW how to play football!

It is encouraging to see one or two goals now being scored from outside the pen area.

Keep the thoughts coming guys and gals despite another attempted hijack of a thread.

Keep the thoughts coming guys and gals despite another attempted hijack of a thread.
    I’d put him as a holding midfielder. Will fit in well with Gilzean, Peters and Charlton, with Greaves up front obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    I’d put him as a holding midfielder. Will fit in well with Gilzean, Peters and Charlton, with Greaves up front obviously.
    Haha, keep the old days going...Just to add that when we played Spurs in 1960 FA Cup I was among 20,000 fans at Gresty Road, a gate here never ever reached. Also Spurs played every member of their first team squad including about 10 Internationals, you never see that today from PL teams unless they reach the semi finals etc. They were the days before academies when players KNEW how to play football without non entity non footballers using a coaching manual!

Oh we have never ever beat a PL team even with all their reserves in the team and says a lot about the standard of players we see today...Chelsea 1, Crewe Alex 2 and I was on BBC tele at Euston Station on a special train that day..

If ONLY you could see the standard of players and even them at the Alex at the time..No lads required!

On reflection I think that I would try him in Connor Thomas's role as you said Jimmy B. It's got to be worth a go and with him on the pitch he could always drop back into the defence if needed. The only thing that I am apprehensive about is trying it for the first time against a really in form opposition.

I do think it's going to end up his best position, but whether they'd want to make the switch mid season when at CH he's been our best player (though I know someone who strongly disagrees ....) is another matter.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast