+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are the Alex less fun than they used to be?

Are the Alex less fun than they used to be?

Interesting article from the Guardian. I certainly recognise some of the criticism in recent play from the Alex.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...league-pyramid
    Last edited by RedandWhiteSpartan; 19-01-2023 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

There's nothing really new in that article. Substituted players have always taken an age to get off the field. Goalkeepers have always taken forever when they are winning.
    As for methods of play, it depends on the quality of player you have in the squad. When your left side has Pixie and Kirk, your right side has Perry and Dale, with Wintle pulling the strings, it's easy to play possession football. When the quality dips a bit, it would be counter productive to turn to old Wimbledon type football.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    ... When the quality dips a bit, it would be counter productive to turn to old Wimbledon type football.
    Might be counter productive - but I wouldn't mind winning 30-15 on Saturday !!

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Might be counter productive - but I wouldn't mind winning 30-15 on Saturday !!
    Some may not like my answer but I could have written all that newspaper link, word for word and have been stating it on here for a long time. Good to see that it also recognises the difference in natural ability that is the sole reason for the difference in leagues and in reward ie pay and makes my point that coaching has very liitle affect on it, Good players don't need it and poor players remain, well poor!

Maybe one or two apologies are likely here? I've also been saying the enjoyment as gone too..

A good piece there well worth reading and so thanks for sharing that here FP..

Its time academies and managers at lower league level started to THINK more about what they are trying to do..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 19-01-2023 at 02:16 PM.