+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If you’re unsure what greatness AND effort looks like....

If you’re unsure what greatness AND effort looks like....

Watch this.

I’d play this clip to my squad if I was the manager of any sports team.

Forget that you might not like the sport, park the fact you might not like the bloke and try to respect that he’s almost 36 and playing one of the most brutal sports for fitness on the planet with a twice replaced hip joint.

There’s a point two or three minutes in which defies belief and at no point could you possibly think he could win it.

I have never seen a sportsman with this guy’s willingness to put himself beyond the pain and effort barrier to win.

I have such admiration for this bloke.

Karlan Grant.......THIS!!!!

https://youtu.be/vO1veNvpWhQ

I’m no tennis fan but that performance was truly amazing. The true ‘greats’ in any sport have the ability to dig as deep as is necessary to win.

The likes of Kenneth Zohore should hang their heads in shame calling themselves professional sportsmen.

Now that was well worth watching!! Not a massive AM fan (and his continuous grunting a la Bruce Lee is a bit off putting &#128513 but no doubting his ability and sheer determination here. Thanks for posting👍

As an aside, have always felt that, however naturally gifted someone is at their particular sport or whatever, those at the top of their game also have extra ordinary drive and determination and work that extra hard to succeed. Watched the documentary on Prime recently about Stanley Mathews and aside from his inherent talent what came across was that he worked and trained that extra bit more than everyone else to ensure he stayed at the top of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Now that was well worth watching!! Not a massive AM fan (and his continuous grunting a la Bruce Lee is a bit off putting &#128513 but no doubting his ability and sheer determination here. Thanks for posting👍

As an aside, have always felt that, however naturally gifted someone is at their particular sport or whatever, those at the top of their game also have extra ordinary drive and determination and work that extra hard to succeed. Watched the documentary on Prime recently about Stanley Mathews and aside from his inherent talent what came across was that he worked and trained that extra bit more than everyone else to ensure he stayed at the top of his game.
    The documentary about Murray on Amazon Prime called “Resurfaced” is a brilliant watch.

A great title actually as it’s all about his two hip replacements or “resurfacing” procedures and also describes his re-emerging after his injuries.

I knew he was a monster trainer from his early 20’s onwards but this documentary left me in awe of his determination and sheer bloody mindedness, the hours spent each day and until late at night in his own home gym without any trainer driving him on.......just remarkable spirit and dedication to himself and his sport.

It’ll be 40 years in September since I decided, a month shy of my 22nd birthday, to rid myself of being constantly overweight and to get fit and stay fit.

I was a 7 day a week trainer and I trained hard for an hour each day, as years went by I gave myself an occasional rest day and now I tend to train 5 days a week as my body needs more recovery time.

But even in my own small and pathetic way I know what that discipline and dedication is like, friends and family often shake their heads as I head out into howling wind and rain or into snow and ice.

It’s an addiction actually but one of the better ones to have if you can control the amount you do like I now do.

Andy is a fascinating bloke and has earned every penny the hard way through sheer grit and it’s exactly why Emma Raducanu is doomed now I believe, she doesn’t train hard enough, she’s not willing to hurt herself in the way you need to to be a true great.

Obviously I work in the world of rackets, I can tell people this, Andy Murray is one of the nicest and most genuine people in sport, the “Scottish” stuff gets overplayed about him.

A good guy with ethics that every sportsman should aspire to.

Cheers for posting Mick, I used to play a lot of tennis and often watched but got so put off (already mentioned) by the *** grunts by every player!

The Aussie opponent looks like he has rocked up from a beach party!

Great game and unbelievable comeback.

I love my sports but been out of action since July with a knee injury, finally have an MRI scan so fingers crossed can work out the issues and get back to some kind of fitness again!

Mick Tennis is brutal. Even at the club level I played at the mental toughness you need is stark. No place to hide. On your own. Similar but in another dimension is playing a solo acoustic gig for 3 hours. Can’t believe I did it sometimes. No place to hide. On your own. Make a mistake all eyes are on you and you alone have to pull yourself up. Andy Murray is amazing as everything you have said testifies.

Went off to a meeting at 1:30 yesterday when he was about to go 2 sets down and returned at 4:45 and couldn't believe match was still going on. Absolutely awesome performance and unbelievable fitness levels. Nothing but admiration for him

Got about two grunts in and had to turn off....but get the point none the less.

Have to agree with Mick re the documentary it’s a great watch and an amazing insight into a really difficult period in his life but it’s so motivational to show what can be achieved if you want it

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)